Too Many Vitamins is A Bad Thing?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by riley

This is also why people who have certain intestinal resections due to cancer or herniation (mostly those who have sections of the ileum removed) must take larger doses of any fat-soluble vitamin. Without the ileum, or with only part of the ileum intact, your ability to absorb fat-soluble molecules is greatly impaired.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   
I've taken Centrum everyday for god knows how long!

I don't worry about it too much, because I don't think i'm over doing it! I don't eat the greatest foods, so it makes me feel a little better by taking it, really don't think I over do it though, not enough to worry!

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Lets think about this logically. aside from the numbers and complex ideas behind it, the FDA has recomendations and when you think about it alot of processing delutes the effects of the vitamins you recieve. so yes i would say over twice the recomendation is probably reckless and/or a waste of money but i think as long as your not going over double you will be fine. iv been taking 5 vitamins every morning for the past 4 years even though the recomended amount by the FDA is 2 for ADULTS. I weigh 120 so i dont even weigh close to an adult and yet i am healthy as a racehorse. havnt been sick in 8 years and my last vaccination was a booster shot which i think i had when i was 6. so you people need to stop worrying about it so much. Main Point? DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON VITAMINS YOUR GOING TO OVERCONSUME. i take alot strictly for the calcium for i am lactose intolerant and am not able to get calcium from milk products because i get sick to my stomac.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by valiant

I don't worry about it too much, because I don't think i'm over doing it! I don't eat the greatest foods, so it makes me feel a little better by taking it, really don't think I over do it though, not enough to worry!

If it makes you feel better and you can afford it, go right ahead. But you need to know that by eating unhealthily you can supplement all you want and still not uptake vitamins/minerals properly. Eating foods that disrupt hormonal balances can have a large effect on vitamin absorption/secretion, among other things.

-Dev

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   
too much of anything is a bad thing.

poison is defined by quantity.

and i don't reccomend supplements or 'vitamins' in the context of like, flintstones vitamins, because if you are sick, you don't need to overwork your body and take in too much of something, because then it needs to work to get all the extra junk out.
like i know a lot of people that when they get sick, they just drink a ton of OJ which is pretty silly for the same reasons but whatever, almost nobody can take care of themselves these days.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Is there such a thing as consuming too many vitamins?
Yes, there most certiantly is...consuming to much of ANYTHING can cause you harm...it says right here on my container of vitamin pills: "Do not take more than one tablet a day. When taken in excess of 8,000 IU Vitamin A can cause birth defects. This product contains Selenium which is toxic is high doses. Do not exceed a daily dose of 100 micrograms of Selenium from dietary supplements."

Drink to much water and it will kill you my friend.

[edit on 24/1/10 by CHA0S]

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by InertiaZero

Too much water is a bad thing too...
...it causes a fatal condition called 'drowning'...
...but there is an optimal intake of this important liquid.

Facts are we require approximately ninety essential nutrients...
...essential nutrients are those that your body is unable to produce itself...
...and must be taken in your diet.

You need...
15 vitamins
12 amino-acids
3 fatty acids
60 minerals

Western diets usually include an adaquate amount of amino-acids...
...probably inadaquate Vitamin C and D...
...and inadaquate Omega 3 fatty acid.

60 of the 90 essential nutrients are minerals...
...and most people have no idea which ones they are missing...
...but mineral deficiencies are responsible for most western diseases and premature ageing.

[edit on 24/1/10 by troubleshooter]

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvd

Originally posted by valiant

If it makes you feel better and you can afford it, go right ahead. But you need to know that by eating unhealthily you can supplement all you want and still not uptake vitamins/minerals properly. Eating foods that disrupt hormonal balances can have a large effect on vitamin absorption/secretion, among other things.

-Dev

It's not that I eat really unhealthily, well, I do to an extent, but i've always been terribly funny about food, I don't eat a great variety, always been really fussy about food, so it just makes sense to me to try and get what I can!

I know what your saying though! I kinda just cross my fingers and hope it's benefitting me in some way!

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

Absolute bunk. Youd weigh 300 lbs to get the benefits from vitatmins from diet alone.

Is this a joke? Eat quality food and you won't....

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by troubleshooter

Which proves that these supplements are junk imo. America is the biggest user of supplements and we have some of the highest cases of deficiency and disease. Eat a varied whole food diet and don't waste your money on magical pills. The only supplement that should ever be necessary is possibly vit D if you live where you can't manufacture it from the sun.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rawhemp
reply to post by troubleshooter

America is the biggest user of supplements and we have some of the highest cases of deficiency and disease.

Perhaps Americans are using so many supplements because we have the highest cases of deficiency?

What you're saying there is like saying exercise makes you thin which is evidenced by the amount of fat people who don't exercise. But this is a logical fallacy. Using observation alone, I could just as easily assume that the amount of sedentary fat people is proof that being skinny causes one to be more physically active.

-Dev

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I wasn't going to get into this because it's obvious that it's a highly charged subject with a wide array of opinions.

Well here is mine: As I have stated on a couple of other posts, I am in school to become a Naturopathic Physician.

The information regarding Linus Pauling is previous posts is only partly accurate. No, he was not clinically trained & the results of his clinical trials were not able to be reproduced. The question is: why? According to Linus Pauling himself, it was because they did not use the same amounts or delivered in the same way in their trials as he did. And he told them so. So they made the blanket claim that what he did didn't work. He didn't win unshared Nobel Prizes for being an idiot.

www.medicalnewstoday.com...

Assuming that vitamins are of no use is ill informed. How many people do you know that eat the Standard American Diet (SAD) eat a balanced diet? You can tell me that people's diet would be fine if they just ate good food? That's true. But do they even know what a "good" diet is? Even the new food pyramid is a joke. Enriched flour alone has all of the good things stripped from it & then has things put back in. Everything is pasteurized which not only kills all of the bad bacteria but also good enzymes & decreases vitamins in the food itself. Our soil alone has been used & used & used & then only three minerals are typically used to fertilize the soil when there are many other nutrients that may be deficient in the soil...not to mention that we spray them with fungicide, pesticide, herbicide, insecticide, etc. We still think that just by eating a "decent" diet, we are going to get the nutrition we need? That should be seriously considered before making such a blanket statement.

Citing www.naturalnews.com is not a bad thing. Just because they sell products doesn't mean anything. I was a civilian journalist for them for a time & the journalists are not paid so they have no incentive to lie in the articles they write. The only way the journalists make any money is if you set up a google adsense account and people click on the google ads at the top of the page. Otherwise, they are written only for informational purposes. No money exchanges hands. We didn't get "perks" for talking about anything specific or even a product that we liked or recommended. If Vitamin C or D was discussed in an article, you don't get a commission for someone linking from your article and buying anything. It doesn't work that way. I wouldn't have written for them if it did. I wasn't in it for the money. I was in it to educate.

The FDA on the number of deaths per year for PROPERLY prescribed drugs is around 106,000.

www.injuryboard.com...

This is the expected number of adverse reactions...not improperly prescribed, not over doses, not misuse...where as there are 10...that's a one and a zero...that are allegedly attributed to vitamins.

In 2009, according to the U.S. National Poison Data System showed NO deaths from vitamins, minerals, amino acids, or herbal supplements.

www.aapcc.org...

I'm not saying that too many of something cannot cause harm. You should never just go to a store, buy a ton of vitamins, & start taking mega doses. You should always consult a Naturopathic doctor or an Orthomolecular Physician to get proper dosages & have your diet examined to see where your deficiencies may lie so you aren't taking too much of one thing.

Vitamin A can certainly be of concern if taken in too high a dose. As far as mega doses of vitamin C to combat either illness or disease, the more ill or disease ridden a body is, the more Vitamin C you can tolerate. If you are well, 1000-5000mg may not have any effect on you at all other than to keep your immune system bolstered & help you fight stress (because the body will burn through C if it is stressed. Cont'd

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
On the other hand, if the body is sick or you have a disease, you may be able to take 20,000mg before reaching bowel tolerance. When you do, back off by a few thousand mg until you are better.

Vitamin D deficiency is rampant. Not only are the fish that we purchase in the markets toxic simply from living in the ocean (hence warning pregnant women about mercury), but most of them are not even wild caught, they are farm raised. People have been scared to death to spend time in the sun so few people do any more without slathering toxic laden sunscreen on their skin. Chronic Vitamin D deficiencies are a wide spread problem and can cause a host of issues: immune system compromise, fatigue, foggy thought processes, osteoporosis, diabetes, depression..etc. I personally hate fish. Cannot stand it. If it lived in the water...I don't eat it. So instead, I take a Vit D supplement of Cod Liver Oil (a pure source) of 4000IU a day.

If you choose not to take them, that is completely up to you. I am in the part of school where I am doing case studies on Nutrition and must examine people's diets and make recommendations. I choose that I feel better when I supplement my diet. I don't take everything under the sun. I add a few things if I get sick or feel that something is going on (a strange joint pain or something). I don't buy some of everything and take them in mega doses. But if you feel that taking supplements is unnecessary or is of no use considering the average person's diet, then I suggest that you do more research.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by jenmckin

The information regarding Linus Pauling is previous posts is only partly accurate. No, he was not clinically trained & the results of his clinical trials were not able to be reproduced. The question is: why? According to Linus Pauling himself, it was because they did not use the same amounts or delivered in the same way in their trials as he did.

Several labs have since experimented with the dosage and methodology Pauling used and have found minimal effects. Vitamin C was of great interest to oncology researchers a few years ago, until it was demonstrated that the survivability was not, in fact, due solely to vitamin C, and that the "selective toxicity" was only established in vitro, not in vivo. Many things look wonderful in the petri dish, but we don't know the whole story until it is in the body.

Assuming that vitamins are of no use is ill informed.

I don't recall anyone making this claim, though I may have skimmed over a post.

Citing www.naturalnews.com is not a bad thing. Just because they sell products doesn't mean anything. I was a civilian journalist for them for a time & the journalists are not paid so they have no incentive to lie in the articles they write.

No incentive, other than their personal (and unresearched) personal bias. It's no different than saying Fox News reporters have "no incentive" to make up nasty rumors about opposition party members. Sure, they don't get paid extra for it, but it certainly fits their personal bias.

The only way the journalists make any money is if you set up a google adsense account and people click on the google ads at the top of the page.

And you are much more likely to get page-views if your article pushes "cures" or "treatments" that desperate people want, and then you spread the link around screeching about the evils of Western medicine.

The FDA on the number of deaths per year for PROPERLY prescribed drugs is around 106,000.

www.injuryboard.com...

First of all, the site you linked to is run by a low-life injury lawyer who specializes in "malpractice and offshore injuries", among others. Secondly, the link to the "FDA" claiming that number is actually an article written by a member of the IOM and Johns Hopkins, not the FDA, and the deaths ascribed to drugs are adverse effects, and only those in patients already hospitalized, meaning they are in a state of critical care already. Some therapies are tough, I readily admit that, but when you are faced with a tough therapy which MIGHT kill you, or no therapy, which WILL kill you, I would lean toward the therapy unless the patient has absolutely decided to pass. There are no known successful homeopathic treatments for critical illness, and I would suspect there never will be. I do think the number deaths related to hospital error should (and can) be lower through better training of ancillary staff, nurses, and young doctors. We have seen this number drop considerably since the widespread use of electronic medical ordering and record systems, too.

where as there are 10...that's a one and a zero...that are allegedly attributed to vitamins.

In 2009, according to the U.S. National Poison Data System showed NO deaths from vitamins, minerals, amino acids, or herbal supplements.

www.aapcc.org...

No one has made the claim that vitamins have killed anyone, so I'm not sure why you're posting this information. Vitamin toxicity is fairly uncommon, but certainly not rare, so that's something to advise patients on when prescribing a change in vitamin dosage for various conditions.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by jenmckin
People have been scared to death to spend time in the sun so few people do any more without slathering toxic laden sunscreen on their skin. Chronic Vitamin D deficiencies are a wide spread problem and can cause a host of issues: immune system compromise, fatigue, foggy thought processes, osteoporosis, diabetes, depression..etc. I personally hate fish. Cannot stand it. If it lived in the water...I don't eat it. So instead, I take a Vit D supplement of Cod Liver Oil (a pure source) of 4000IU a day.

The people of Okinawa survive almost entirely off of locally caught fish (in the awfully polluted water of Japan) and have one of the longest, if not THE longest, average lifespan. Don't you think it has less to do with eating fish or supplments, and more to do with the fact that they are exercise fiends, walking everywhere they go?

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I don't think a person needs to take vitamins or herbs except rarely. I use to take them all the time. The best health medicines I've ever found are basic vegetables in a good grocery store. Sadly most of the big grocery stores are mostly garbage but there are good stores around with more than enough food value. Most of the health food, herb and vitamin products are just a rip-off. What a person needs most is the raw energy of the fresh fruits and vegetables.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ReelView

If those veggies and fruit are heritage and home gown organic, this is a wonderful thing. I am planning on building a dehydrater for a my birthday present this year, because I'd like to make some raw hempseed/nut crakers for raw food diet, and sauces. But the supplements for C and D in large doses are incredibly beneficial for you health along with a good multivitamin and omega 3. I wouldn't do one thing over the other, but both for optimum health. This isnt a clean world anymore. We are inundated with posions in the land, air, water and soil. The depleted uranium these madment dumped into our world via the gulf wars and since, is unbelievable, and most don't even understand what it means. Then they've turned around and dumped megatons of depleted uranium into our oceans, dipsosing of wasted ammunition off the west coast and east in North America. CHBC news covered it in Canada.

Our fish and our chicken are the healthiest for us to eat and loaded with cell damaging toxins.

Take C in large doses, its really needed. And see yourself as powerfully protected and safe. Affirm constantly.
"I am in optimum healthy, filled with radiant health and energy. My body transmutes all toxins and disposes of them, and heals itself quickly from all dangers. I am so grateful!"

[edit on 24-1-2010 by Unity_99]

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
reply to post by ReelView

If those veggies and fruit are heritage and home gown organic, this is a wonderful thing. I am planning on building a dehydrater for a my birthday present this year, because I'd like to make some raw hempseed/nut crakers for raw food diet, and sauces. But the supplements for C and D in large doses are incredibly beneficial for you health along with a good multivitamin and omega 3. I wouldn't do one thing over the other, but both for optimum health. This isnt a clean world anymore. We are inundated with posions in the land, air, water and soil. The depleted uranium these madment dumped into our world via the gulf wars and since, is unbelievable, and most don't even understand what it means. Then they've turned around and dumped megatons of depleted uranium into our oceans, dipsosing of wasted ammunition off the west coast and east in North America. CHBC news covered it in Canada.

Our fish and our chicken are the healthiest for us to eat and loaded with cell damaging toxins.

And yet, the average lifespans around the world continue to go up and up every year...

[edit on 1/24/2010 by VneZonyDostupa]

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by VneZonyDostupa

Not in third world countries, and even in ours, I've read reports that the junk food we've been allowing our kids to eat are actually showing statistical evidence that there lifespans will be shorter than my parents generations. But we take alot of vitamins and more and more people eat fruits and salads. And we consciously manifest or co-create this reality, which is why I added the affirmation. On the one hand we need to know what they've done, on the other hand some of the asleep states people have is good for them, because they still see the world and lives more positive.

And the true effects of the depleted uranium have barely begun to surface, they're going to take years to mutate the species.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
In the UK we have so called 'health stores' with row upon row of supplements - not just 'straightforward' vitamins. This is the snake oil version of big pharma. They play on our natural wish to feel better, look better. Don't buy into the hype that we need these products. Your doctor will advise if you do need anything specific - which is sometimes the case with certain medical conditions.
Otherwise most people can get the nutrition they need from fresh foods. My golden rule is to try to stick with ingredients you can see. So none of that compressed gunk that masquerades as chicken or ham etc.
I used to have an excellent site bookmarked which gives the truthful lowdown on all supplements. I'll look it up.
The thing to be concerned about (apart from wasting money) is that you can put your body's chemical balance out of kilter by taking too much of one thing. Especially as so many products are 'multi' formulations. Also you should be careful if you are taking certain meds.

[edit on 24-1-2010 by unicorn1]

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join