It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

50 Guantanamo detainees to be held without trial: report

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   

50 Guantanamo detainees to be held without trial: report

www.google.com

The Obama administration wants to keep some 50 Guantanamo detainees locked up indefinitely because they are too dangerous to release and evidence against them is insufficient for a criminal trial, the Washington Post said Friday.

On the anniversary of President Barack Obama's executive order to close the "war on terror" prison within a year, the daily said a Justice Department-led task force had found that 50 detainees -- of 196 remaining -- should be held without trial under the laws of war.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   

The news came as the deadline US President Barack Obama had set himself for closing the prison camp passed.

The task force, led by the US justice department, recommended that while 35 people could be prosecuted, 110 could be released either now or at a later date, unnamed officials said.

The other nearly 50 detainees are considered too dangerous to release, but cannot be tried because the evidence against them is too flimsy or was extracted from them by coercion, so would not hold up in court.

Source: news.bbc.co.uk...

Wow' I cannot believe this in same breath they are saying the evidence is too flimsy or was extracted from coercion (most possibly torture) and still they are dangerous. On what grounds?

www.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I suppose they decided they were dangerous after torturing them into being dangerous.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Hows this different from back in the day when the word/wishes of the king (or fuhrer) were good enough to punish people?

Q: Tell us King bushbama, what evidence does ye have to jail this un-person?

A: Hahaha!! how cute of you to inquire little slave, my evidence is insufficient... never the mind, I declare this person a bad man!, a very bad man! dare ye question lord-god-King bushbama?! surely ye jest?

Welcome to history repeating... Fascism, not just for 1930 Germany any more!! new and improved formula!!, no more fish-belly white creepy small mustache barking guy, fuhrer 2.0s new user friendly visually appealing appearance can take maximum advantage of 2 party divide & conquer hyper brain-washing propaganda 20x faster!!.. bigger more loyal crowds, 2.0 can even cause fainting!

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
The difference is that in countries like Iraq (especially when the war first started) evidence collection was not up to par. When somebody commits a crime in the US the police can collect finger prints, get forensics evidence and other things that will help convict a criminal. This just wasn't the case in Iraq, however, it's getting there.

So, we have these guys and we "know" they are dangerous but if they went to court there would not be enough conventional evidence to convict them. That means they would walk away.

[edit on 23-1-2010 by Styki]

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Give them a trial... They might be as guilty as hell but without trial you Americans are far more guilty of crimes to humanity if you don't.

Yes, i'll quite happily wear your so called anti-american badges if you people continue to hold potentially innocent people in 24 hour stress / torture positions indefinately...

When did humanity get so screwed up?

I thought you yanks were aginst the nazis?

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   
We can all assume that with the information given the administration knows that they will be released if they go to trial.

I wouldn't know what to do in their situation. It could be possible that they are just waiting for something. I have no idea what that could be.

This type of thing makes me wonder what goes on during those presidential briefings. Everybody goes with the common line that all politicians lie. I believe things get complicated and they are forced to change their plans. So instead of saying Obama can't get anything done and that he just lies; I think, what is he hearing during these briefings which would cause him to change his mind.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

Yeah like Obama is any different than any other US president.

Change, what change, how the hell can the American people get fouled so many times. It just goes to show, American Democracy is no different than a dictatorship, it just shows you the illusion of people running the country when infact it is the same retards who has been running the country since who knows when.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Styki

I think, what is he hearing during these briefings which would cause him to change his mind.

Are you saying they are being brainwashed ?

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Styki

I completely agree. Obama is not getting good advice on a number of levels. He needs to get some different blood in and quickly. Either he blew his own horn on the Gitmo closure bit a year ago just thinking it was going to be a slam dunk or he was told it was going to be a slam dunk. Neither is good. In the first instance hopefully he can learn from the boneheaded move. If its the second, the person should be canned. Perhaps it was that Craig Gregg, the old WH counsel. Lets hope so.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Not exactly, what if the intel was good but it was enough to change his mind. It's not really a conspiracy but it's definitely an avenue worthy of consideration.

There is also the other side in which he could be trying to hide something.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Styki

I don't think its a conspiracy at all, not the initial promise. I just think its a typical politician saying what folks want to hear. Now when they get down to trying to explain how he could have been so wrong and what happened, you will definately have a cover-up.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Styki
Not exactly, what if the intel was good but it was enough to change his mind. It's not really a conspiracy but it's definitely an avenue worthy of consideration.

There is also the other side in which he could be trying to hide something.

So it is a secret information that none of us know about which has the ability to change every president's mind. Dear lord, that is hard for me to grasp, we should at least have some incite to this incredible change minding information.

Why keep us at dark? It doesn't make sense, that is all I'm putting to the table.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
I thought you yanks were aginst the nazis?

We are.
You haven't seen or heard of anybody at Gitmo shoved into an oven yet have you?

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Even better, ever heard of Nazis actually releasing their prisoners from the camps. Cause it makes me sick to see the U.S. govt. doing something like that, it makes me want to puke, don't you agree?

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

We are.
You haven't seen or heard of anybody at Gitmo shoved into an oven yet have you?

Ya good differentiation, the heat of a bomb compared to the heat of an oven

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by oozyism

Ya good differentiation, the heat of a bomb compared to the heat of an oven

Well I don't know professor....

Maybe you can tall me. When was the last time a Gitmo prisoner was shelled or gassed? Oh that's right they haven't been. They are also alive and have their heads. They get 3 meals a day, clean sheets, nice slippers and a copy of the Koran.

[edit on 23-1-2010 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

Well I would imagine that in the White House the people in charge of each division (ie. the economy, security) would give Obama briefings. Obama gets loaded with a massive amount of information now which he did not have access to on the campaign trail.

I would assume that there is information out there that Obama doesn't even get because his position is only temporary (4 to 8 years, most likely).

Obama now has the resources (people working for him) to commit to looking into the effects of certain actions. When Obama said, we need to close this place (Gitmo) down, lets make it happen; he had the authority and resources to find out the actual effects of moving these prisoners to another location/giving them a trial. He is now briefed on what these prisoners have done and what information they have given up. That's an unknown variable to us the people and maybe it should remain that way. However, that information has caused Obama to do a 180 degree turn on his policy's.

I can't rightfully sit here and tell you that I have any clue as to what that information is. What I can say is that calling him a lair and saying he can't get anything done is pretty sort sighted given how complicated the situation most likely is.

I would say that the information is vary important. People often say that we are holding people who have most likely done vary little; knowing that there is no way to disprove that claim. That's highly unlikely though because there are prisons in Iraq for the low profile prisoners. It's my belief that the prisoners at Gitmo were high priority targets which hold valuable information. Information which has created some vary tough decisions for the Obama administration.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Hmmm. I wonder if some of the Obamamania junkies are finally starting to wake up from their overdose of kool aid from last year?

42 Arrested Protesting Obama's Broken Promise to Close Guantanamo

"We were so hopeful last year," says Christine Gaunt, a grandmother and third generation farmer from Grinnell, Iowa, who was arrested at the Capitol. "But Obama has broken his promise to close Guantanamo. I am acting today because I am horrified and ashamed that this illegal prison continues to exist, and that those responsible for torture have not been held to account. I am using my body to demand that my government stop the insanity of torture and illegal detention."

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

Again, like I said the situation is much more complicated than a simple lie. Anybody who would change their mind over a few reporters taking some cheap shots is truly a follower of the main stream media. These stories are just the flavor of the week.

(edit)
IMHO Obama's lack of accomplishment to this point was due to his choice to take on challenges that he believes will make a difference. He could have accomplished a bunch of petty tasks which mean nothing; I bet the general population would have been proud.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join