It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Since when did deep thinkers become the crazy people?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I know who you are getting at.

Heres a couple of examples from recently.

I was watching tv with my room mates friend. It was a history channel show about ufos. I related my own experience with a triangle craft, but before I could even describe much more past my first sentence, the friend popped up and said Be right back. Never came back in the room. I had hoped for some hearty discussion on black ops in Kentuckiana, or a story from the friend of their own; thank goodness my hope springs eternal.

Another time, I was with relatives and the topic of 9/11 came up. I made a comment about it, and the relative asked me, well, what do YOU think REALLY happened? our government did it? I trust my intuition and it said just stop, there was no point arguing with such deep sarcasm and closed mindedness. So I was the one to beg out that time, I had no desire to make a stink in front of everyone.

So my family (some of them) think I am crazy because I read books on these topics and like to discuss it. A random person felt so uncomfortable with the topic of ufos they left the room.

It gets discouraging. Glad ats is here!

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by EMPIRE

While I do agree that the comments may have been unwarranted, the guy is no deep thinker as he is making generalized statements about Christians and their religion. Deep thinkers don't generalize but examine everything critically, without emotions and attachment, and then present a compelling case/thought.
He may have generalized a little bit...not all Christians are the way he describes...but from what I can see...the VAST MAJORITY of them are PRECISELY how he describes...and he was in fact examining everything, not just the attitude of Christians, but what the bible teaches and how it has effected the world...and he WAS doing it without a emotional attachments and biased opinions...this guy was merely putting forward an out-of-the-box idea which I fully agree with...if there is such a thing as Satan, Christians are surely following him without even realizing it...just remember this: If you start telling me I'm going to burn in Hell for eternity...if Hell does exist...you're the one going there...if you even begin telling me I'm living my life totally wrong, and need to change how I live...well...you can just go to Hell...

[edit on 22/1/10 by CHA0S]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

If you are looking for open minded people capable of alternative thought in the area you live in,forget about it.

The majority of the populace believe only what they hear or see on television.If they did not see it on the tube it did not happen.

How many times have you mentioned something and the person responded."I didn't see that(on T.V.).

[edit on 21-1-2010 by calcoastseeker]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   
I think some people just don't know how to use their brains to their fullest potential and curb their imagination because anything they don't understand scares them or makes them feel inferior.

I think it's much easier for some people to call someone "crazy" in an attempt NOT to think, than it is to do the thinking.

I often find this to be evident when the use of an "analogy" comes into play while explaining something a person just doesn't "get". What seems like a simpler and more realistic way of explaining something also goes straight over their head.

Accepting possibilities, however outlandish they may seem, is the key to deep thinking. How far can you go down the rabbit hole?

I am NOT crazy because someone is unimaginative and cannot understand or accept something that I do, and "You're Crazy" is a defence mechanism in my opinion.

I love deep thinking....if I wasn't a deep thinker I wouldn't be alive today. A trip to the deepest, darkest recesses of my own mind saw to that and my return journey was a personal triumph over depression and possible suicide!

What's really crazy is to go through life and only accept what you can understand.

Peace.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

hey dude dont worry I get where your coming from, I wrote a theory on 2012 which gives scientific explanations to global warming and everything.

but there are people out there who still arent deep enough thinkers to even comprehend what I am saying.

I get called alot of things on here, but fact is everything I write can be backed up with scientific evidence with a simple google search on the new scientist or NASA.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Great post and I wholeheartedly agree with it. Here's my take on what's going on though...

ATS has basically got popular, found its way to mainstream audiences through word of mouth and millions of school kids have signed up to it. This isn't necessarily a bad thing because I think its good to get this information as early as possible to people. The problem is, they have no etiquette and thats why you're seeing the attacks that you are.

I think coupled with this, you have people 'assigned' to derail threads on purpose and I don't doubt for a second that there are agencies watching this site.

The two points above (along with hoaxers, dashed hopes) are also infuriating some people that are genuinely on this website attempting to enlighten themselves and this is getting them angry. I know I'm getting increasingly pissed off when I read the same stuff over and over again like its something new, extremely bad grammar and spelling (which makes it very hard for me to take anyone seriously since they're trying to tell me they know how the world works when they don't know how the English language does!) and the lack of tolerance to ideas.

We must remember that we are not two sides. There is no us and the sheeple. We are all on the same line, progressing at different rates. Some are just further along than others. Consider an attack a further test of your ability to improve yourself. It gets difficult but if you can smile an walk away, you're a better person for it. Let them shout at the void. They just flag themselves as individuals who I click the IGNORE button on!

Th8nker

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Algebra

wow I have been thinking strongly about the same thing for a few years now and have to the conclusion that a majority of civilization is like this. I cannot wait until people grow up and escape all of the dogma surrounding the world. Thanks for letting us know that were not the only people left with smarts.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

deep thinkers are crazy - compared to the standard.

if you express yourself in a manner unlike the standard expect some negative feedback. i, ofcourse, take it as a compliment.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

You did exactly what you planned on doing. You created a thread with a title about ONE THING, and then you dived right into an attack on Christians.

What you posted, even if it was not your personal writing, is one long rant, about hating Christians.

And, um, yeah... that's a little crazy. To go through that much trouble, to try and explain your dislike of a group of people, while hiding it behind a misleading thread title, is just a liiiiitle bit kooky.

But, out of respect for the spirit of the thread, I will say this:

Just because somebody spends time, typing and thinking and typing and thinking, and then presents their idea, it does not mean that it merits the label of "Deep Thought".

No matter how much thought or typing somebody puts into an idea, it may still be... you got it, KOOKY! Garbage. Trash. Or, just stupid.

And, when you put something out there, for an anonymous group of people to review, that is just what they are going to do.

And, I have some bad news for certain people on this site. It might be prudent to just wait a while before posting an idea.
Maybe until the morning.
Or, at least until the drugs or booze wears off.

[edit on 22/1/10 by ThePublicSpirit]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   
im pretty sure u got it the other way around:
when did crazy people become the deep thinkers?

we know not everyone on the forums are professional critiques.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   
i understand how you feel completely, but remember this, the average IQ is only 97. if they can't grasp a concept, it's not their fault. calling people stupid when they do not understand something is natural. when you're an idiot, subject that require thinking will sound outrageous, it just doesn't add up for them. some will say," well, if you're so smart why can't you explain it so that we can understand it?" in most cases, you can't put it any other way.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
This is a thread I can related too with profound experience with being dubbed a crazy person. Just because my life experiences support reincarnation, consciousness during sleep, and dreams that come true makes for some "crazy" talk doesn't mean I'm crazy because I look into the reality of these experiences with a desire to know and understand them.

What is one man's cup of tea, is another man's poison.

I just enjoy my tea and be done with it.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

I think there are a number of issues here.

Don't expect depth from a forum that does not either attract or allow for depth. You're not going to get it. I find that on this board not only are there very thoughtful people, but also people who take time to both research and compose their thoughts. You just are not going to find that on most boards, so don't look for them there.

Despite what I wrote above, I often find posts of an alternative point of view and I mean very alternative so poorly written and way too long to follow. I'm sure we've all given up on threads where the original post was such a bad piece of writing that we just blew it off. Perhaps thats shame on us. The point being that if you want to present a totally contrarian point of view, your composition just needs to be better than average. It just does. I find the posters who present a concise depiction of a complex issue, perhaps followed by some external documentation and then solicit feedback and subsequently get into a dialog with a number of people far more successful and interesting.

Finally I think we are consumed with information overload. If something does not grab your attention you just move on. We've all done that and probably did it today. Moving on is fine. It is polite. Making a sophomoric comment is both immature and impolite.

I'm not saying that I disagree with you, I just think it is a complex question and not a one size fits all deal.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   
dude you are so right, nowadays no one cares about the real probelms of the world they only care about thier wants and thier needs.
Celeberties, tv shows, latest fasions. and it saddens me that alot of people dont like hearing about the probelms of the world because it isn't "thier" probelm

But i believe if you live on this planet then its your probelm too.
And anyone who doesn't wanna think like everyone else or think outside the box are deemed socially unacceptable or in other words "crazy"

Albert Einstien was once considered an idiot, a comeplete moron, but he turned out to be a genious.
so many people fight over "which relgion is the right on"
to me all relgions are the same, doesn't matter if you god is named allah or yawama, or even as something as weird as qwerty *not actully a god*

but if there is a all knowing all powerful god, then he (or she) would make all the relgions and see if humans were smart enough to figure out they are all the same, but no fighting over little differnces and sheding more blood, because humans are just monkeys pretending to be smart

and about the santa thing, that guy has a point Satan-Santa they both wear red knows when your good or bad, like god apperntly does

Maybe god and the devil are the same thing? (of course i look at relgion more symbolically then as a relgion)

I do believe something made the universe and all of life, but its defintly not a being that wants you to live life not questioning a damn thing.

So in concluseion as long as ATS is around so will free thinking and free speech, without it, we would all be deemed as mentaly insane *because like me most of you see the world as it really is*

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by DOADOA
i understand how you feel completely, but remember this, the average IQ is only 97. if they can't grasp a concept, it's not their fault. calling people stupid when they do not understand something is natural. when you're an idiot, subject that require thinking will sound outrageous, it just doesn't add up for them. some will say," well, if you're so smart why can't you explain it so that we can understand it?" in most cases, you can't put it any other way.

I understand what you are saying too.
But, what about all those folks that are writing these huge, deep observations, believing themselves to be very intelligent, and in-touch with "the smarter crowd", but, in reality, swimming around in the shallow end of the IQ pool?

I think THAT is happening a LOT.

Maybe it's not being mean, to tell somebody that has just written a thread detailing a startling new angle on quantum mechanics, but has never studied it, gained knowledge of it, or even opened a book about it, "Hey! Stop writing about stuff you don't understand! Ya look dumb when ya do that!".

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by YouAreDreaming
This is a thread I can related too with profound experience with being dubbed a crazy person. Just because my life experiences support reincarnation, consciousness during sleep, and dreams that come true makes for some "crazy" talk doesn't mean I'm crazy because I look into the reality of these experiences with a desire to know and understand them.

What is one man's cup of tea, is another man's poison.

I just enjoy my tea and be done with it.
That's fine, as long as you are REALLY holding a cup in your hand.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePublicSpirit
That's fine, as long as you are REALLY holding a cup in your hand.

Is it ok if the cup is in my hand during a dream where I am fully awake and aware that I am dreaming. Yet I drink from this cup regardless of if it is real or not and still enjoy the taste of tea?

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePublicSpirit

Originally posted by DOADOA

I understand what you are saying too.
But, what about all those folks that are writing these huge, deep observations, believing themselves to be very intelligent, and in-touch with "the smarter crowd", but, in reality, swimming around in the shallow end of the IQ pool?

I think THAT is happening a LOT.

Maybe it's not being mean, to tell somebody that has just written a thread detailing a startling new angle on quantum mechanics, but has never studied it, gained knowledge of it, or even opened a book about it, "Hey! Stop writing about stuff you don't understand! Ya look dumb when ya do that!".

what i'm saying relates to more of your ability to reason, to form an idea when there is none. anybody can read a book and memorize it's content. you can be a borderline retard and graduate from college. it's what happen when you present to them something they are not familiar with, their reaction to it. if they don't understand it, you're simply stupid to them.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by vjr1113
Some people are lemmings. They're born that way and don't know any better.

BTW just ignore the christians in the internet, they're probably just 16 yo boys with no knowledge of how the world works.

Actually I think they are pawns in a game. Not only have they been exploited for money, they are also necessary so their leaders will have a following to rule over. But there is a much sinister plan coming to fruition now.

Christians are being taught that they were given a Great Commission to go ye therefore and convert all nations. They believe that their god has bestowed dominion of the earth on them, the "faithful". ("Faithful" to man-made traditions and the whims of religious leaders.) Most all lands have now been prostelytized and the leaders are informing them that "time is up." People have had a chance to "hear the word"; it has been made available earth wide. Those who choose not to go along with their program are now scheduled to be "taken out" of the way. They want their Kingdom Now.

Originally posted by vjr1113
Also, revolutionaries are usually made to look crazy by the MSM, they are silenced and laughed at because TPTB know they are dangerous.

That's right. All the more reason to make hard copies of important materials and get it into circulation among people who do not spend much time on internet. Get the word out every way you can.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by ThePublicSpirit

You did exactly what you planned on doing. You created a thread with a title about ONE THING, and then you dived right into an attack on Christians.

What you posted, even if it was not your personal writing, is one long rant, about hating Christians.
Firstly, I do not hate Christians...secondly, I talked about exactly what I made this thread to talk about...and you obviously missed the whole point...I only used the example involving Christianity because as I said, it was a good way of making my point...and I obviously don't expect Christians to to take it in and look at the point I'm trying to make, rather than how I made the point...and then claim I'm attacking Christians, that I'm a ranting Christian hater.

And, um, yeah... that's a little crazy. To go through that much trouble, to try and explain your dislike of a group of people, while hiding it behind a misleading thread title, is just a liiiiitle bit kooky.
You have just provided an example of exactly what I'm getting at here...rather than try to examine and understand the points I'm putting forward, you'd rather just focus on the fact that it involves examples which paints Christians in a negative light, and you immediately call me "kooky" for this reason. Why is it 99% of people who have replied to this thread can understand and agree fully with what I'm saying here? It's because they took the time to read and understand the point I'm making rather than see my example involving Christians, and attack me for that reason...claiming my real reason was to attack Christians, when it wasn't.

Just because somebody spends time, typing and thinking and typing and thinking, and then presents their idea, it does not mean that it merits the label of "Deep Thought".

No matter how much thought or typing somebody puts into an idea, it may still be... you got it, KOOKY! Garbage. Trash. Or, just stupid.
You're missing the entire point...a deep thinker has the ability to question and explore these out-of-the-box concepts and ideas...whether they are right or wrong makes no difference...it's the fact that they have the brain power to seperate themselves from the pack of sheeple, and stop being a mindless robot, and try to think for themselves...but when they do this, it immediately makes them crazy, like us conspiracy theorists who have the ability to question the Government and our supposed reality...we realize not everything is as it seems and exactly how we are told it is...but this makes us crazy people to everyone else...because they don't have the ability to exert such a degree of independent thought and question the truth about things...they believe everything is truly as they are told and the Government would never lie to them...it's a neat little package where they are never wrong because they know it all...so anyone who challenges them and offers out-of-the-box ideas are crazy...when it's just not true...they just have the ability to think a little deeper about things and think for themselves...

And, I have some bad news for certain people on this site. It might be prudent to just wait a while before posting an idea.
Maybe until the morning.
Or, at least until the drugs or booze wears off.
Yep...because all mind altering drugs used in anyway are BAD BAD BAD aren't they? AREN'T THEY?!? They couldn't ever possibly open and expand a mind allowing them to experience deep and complex thought patterns and mind blowing alternate states of consciousness which a normally functioning mind couldn't even begin to comprehend...I'm not promoting drugs...it's just something to think about...but obviously I'm going to be called a stupid crazy fool by others who "know" mind altering drugs could never be of such benefit...

[edit on 22/1/10 by CHA0S]

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join