It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do liberals seem to HATE conservatives and Christianity?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I consider myself to be overall politically center-right. I am a mixed bag of ideology - conservative, liberal, independent, libertarian, constitutionalist, etc. I voted for Perot twice (clearly have an independent streak in me) but generally vote republican because I feel they are the lesser of the two evils, but I don't consider myself to be a republican. I feel that the two parties are simply two sides to the same coin. I have a BA degree and majored in Political Science. I really just want to understand why all the HATE on the left.

Having said that, I have asked my democrat/liberal friends and family members to explain to me why they say they HATE Beck and Limbaugh and Palin, Bush, etc. I mean, they convey to me an utter hatred and disgust for these people. I ask them to explain why and they don't really know why they HATE them, they just don't like conservatives (Beck is a self described Libertarian) with a voice on the national stage. That makes perfect sense. They don't like the opposition. I get it. But, it's not just dislike, it's HATE.

But here's the real kicker, my liberal friends and family members have admitted to me that they have never even sat down and listened to Beck or Limbaugh. Not once! All they know is that they hate them (again, it's not dislike, it's hatred). I find that to be very interesting. How can you possibly hate a talk/radio/TV show without ever having seen or listened to it? That's like saying you hate the Beatles even though you admit that you have never listed to them, you just know you hate them. It doesn't make sense.

In addition, why do liberals seem to have such a strong distaste for Christianity? Most of my liberal friends and family members are not fans of Christianity at all. Even mentioning the name Jesus Christ seems to disgust them and believe me, I am no Bible beater. However, they don't seem to have any problems with other religions and they defend Radical Islam. Why is that? They are now supporters of the war effort against terrorism, but when Bush was in office they were anti-war. Where is the anti-war movement now that a democrat is president? They used to kick and scream about Afghanistan when Bush was president but now they support 30,000 additional troops under Obama. But, I digress.

I find it troubling that my liberal friends and family members are so full of hatred towards conservatives on the national stage. It's not dislike, it's full on disgust and hatred. I've challenged them to sit down and listen to Limbaugh and THEN decide whether or not to HATE him. Unfortunately, they are completely closed-minded and unwilling to even LISTEN to anyone who isn't advancing a liberal agenda.

So, why all the HATE on the left? That is the theme of this thread. Most conservatives I talk to do not HATE liberals. Sure they don't like them, but they don't HATE them either. Like I said, when I talk to my friends on the left, they have a deep seething HATRED for conservatives, and I don't really understand it. They control everything: the House, the Senate, and the Presidency. So, why the hatred?

I'd love to hear what others think.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Excuse me but . . . taking into consideration that America is a "Christan nation" how can they be hating each other just because they belong to different parties, oops I forgot no all religious denominations worship the same god.

United with stand divide we fall.

I been sarcastic.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
The hate is mutual.

Certain members of the right wing and certain Christian churches seem to hate liberals. Many right wingers have labeled Obama and his supporters with names like "Hitler" and worse. Some Christians say that gay people and people that support abortion are going to hell.

Members of the right wing and certain churches have fought to take rights away from certain liberal groups. For example, certain churches have funded political initiatives to eliminate the right of gay people to get married. Should gays perceive this as hate?

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I dislike it when anyone is so blinded by their "side" that they refuse to put the "shoe on the other foot" ... the basis for understanding stems from empathy. If one is able to (or try to) understand another viewpoint (does not matter if one agrees with it) than there is a basis for communication. Anyone who thinks in black/white puts an obstacle in the path of understanding and communication. I dislike this thread because it takes a point on the spectrum and does not contrast it with the other point on the spectrum. This thread is an example of what you say you dislike...

ETA: the examples you give of conservatives are radical conservatives. however, you don't add the "radical" label to liberals. you are not comparing a radical conservative to a radical liberal when you don't put them in the same camp.

[edit on 20-1-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Well hotpinkurinalmint a church can deny anyone a wedding since that is their gig so to speak. As a Catholic raised boy, even I am not guaranteed a church wedding. Have to be interviewed by a priest and such. As for the issue of gay marriage and hate it is not so clear. For example I am a conservative, I do not believe in gay marriage. Before ya get your panties in a bunch, I do support the idea of a gay union with the same rights but with a different title. Marriage is for a man and woman, create a similar arrangement for same sex couples. Is that hate?
Now as for the Obama Hitler thing, well not to different from how the left portrayed Bush now is it? Not that its right, but we got to see the comparisons daily thanks to the msm during Bush's term. The left seems to be able to dish it out but not take it in turn.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by coastalite

Man, you're great. You nailed it on the spot! They just don't understand anything about politics and other current issues. But side with who's more popular. Many of these celebrities supported George Bush after the 9/11 attacks. Later after the War in Iraq started and then in the 2004 election the people started to lean to the left. MTV started to play a major role for the youth in politics. Mainly the Democrats would rally on MTV, While a Republican Political would have a rally at a church or a senior citizens home"yawn." Of course the Democratic politicians are very good at sweet talking just about anyone. while the conservative ticket is mainly for Christians. Mainly White Christians vote Republican. But, A large number of Asian, Black and Hispanic Christians are starting to voting Republican. Basically The Baby bomber generation is coming back, The way of presenting yourself has changed all around in a brand new exciting way, Democrats are more hip, fresh and even if there ideas might flop. They pick up fast. Republicans on the other hands are still getting on their feet and learning how walk.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel

Man, you're great. You nailed it on the spot! They just don't understand anything about politics and other current issues. But side with who's more popular. Many of these celebrities supported George Bush after the 9/11 attacks. Later after the War in Iraq started and then in the 2004 election the people started to lean to the left. MTV started to play a major role for the youth in politics. Mainly the Democrats would rally on MTV, While a Republican Political would have a rally at a church or a senior citizens home"yawn." Of course the Democratic politicians are very good at sweet talking just about anyone. while the conservative ticket is mainly for Christians. Mainly White Christians vote Republican. But, A large number of Asian, Black and Hispanic Christians are starting to voting Republican. Basically The Baby bomber generation is coming back, The way of presenting yourself has changed all around in a brand new exciting way, Democrats are more hip, fresh and even if there ideas might flop. They pick up fast. Republicans on the other hands are still getting on their feet and learning how walk.

P.S also the Democratic party knows in a Democracy voting system the People are the way to get in office. Kiss enough ass and you'll have a big check with your name on it in D.C

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Here is why the Liberals hate Christians. Because the only to heaven is through Jesus Christ. Christians take that and say if your gay or Muslim or this or that your an abomination and will not make it to heaven...

But many Christians fail to see is the Jesus states the ONLY WAY TO HEAVEN IS THROUGH CHRIST. Now if homosexuals thru murders and everything in between are indeed sins, one can turn to CHRIST receive him in there life’s and as long as they try to live a good Christian life through his teachings all is good....
We all fall short of glory in the eyes of the lord....

Now if being gay is a sin, I feel that if they turn to Jesus he can in effect cure them, but for Christians to spout out hate towards them in itself is a slap in the face of the lord. Jesus himself says to love thy neighbor’s, it doesn’t say unless your gay, black, Jew, Muslim.

You should try to live your life the best you can, love Jesus, tell others about him but do it in a respectful way not an in your face militant style... For if all those things are sins that liberals love, then Jesus will fix them not you. They’re the ones who have to answer to the KING OF KINGS, LORD OF LORDS... Not you Love thy neighbor you don’t have to like them, but you most love them.

The King will work on your quarks or faults as long as you let him and accept him, but you also have free will to do as you want.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I don't hate conservatives in the slightest...many faux liberals may do so but i do not. True liberals(18th century) actually have alot in common with true conservatives. As for Christianity, i don't respect any dark age superstitions that people may hold.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Man, you're great. You nailed it on the spot! They just don't understand anything about politics and other current issues.

I think that's a pretty dumb assessment. Liberals and Conservatives have different ways of seeing the world...assume different responsibilities for their fellows (ironic how the Christian right is the least tolerant and charitable of the lot...but I digress)...they have different philosophies of life, and that is also reflected in their politics.

But to say Liberals "just don't understand anything about politics and other current issues."?

Well, up here, we'd say that's just kinda stunned, eh?

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

I think that's a pretty dumb assessment. Liberals and Conservatives have different ways of seeing the world...assume different responsibilities for their fellows (ironic how the Christian right is the least tolerant and charitable of the lot...but I digress)...they have different philosophies of life, and that is also reflected in their politics.

But to say Liberals "just don't understand anything about politics and other current issues."?

I think your wrong when it comes to you saying that christians are the least charitable, Catholics and Christians feed, and clothe the poor around the world, havent you seen those feed the childern comercials? I know my church tithes money for Local kids, and we have taking up donations for Hati....

Now as far as Tolerant you are right to a point some christians are not very christian like and attack people who are gay and such.. but LIBERALS spew more hate then I have ever seen...

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Have you ever listened to Rush, Coulter, Hannity, et al? They make themselves very easy to hate. Sorry, when someone clals for the extermination of everyone who isn't of their own political "faith" hate is just a natural result.

As for the politicians? Republican politicians have this funny habit of completely screwing everything up. It's not so much "hate" as it is wanting absolutely none of these cretins to be in charge of anything more important than a pet store. Conservatives run on a platform of hating government. This is because they're bad at governing.

Now as for Christianity... I know lots of liberal Christians. Most liberals are opposed to the "BOMB THE ARABS AND KILL THE GAYS AND BLOW UP THE CLINICS FOR JESUS!" religion of the Right which, even to my own Abrahamism-disliking self, doesn't look a bit like christianity.

Personally? I find the three Abrahamic faiths to be evil. It has nothing to do with my politics, it has to do with the fact that I simply can't stomach the outlook these religions create, nor the way their adherents act as a result.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
In broad generalities, I'd suggest it might have something to do with core morality. Liberals tend to assign high priority to fairness/reciprocity and harm/care. Conservatives tend to have a more balanced moral foundation wherein they also assign high importance to issues of purity/sanctity, loyalty/in-group, and authority/respect. There's likely far more moral foundations, but those seem to be the big obvious ones - some of which are expressed in the animal kingdom as well.

Liberals are also typically more open to experience, while Conservatives are more at ease with familiar settings & situations.

So why are liberals hostile to Christianity? Because Christianity has major punctuations on issues such as Authority, Purity, and Loyalty which liberals tend to consider secondary to Reciprocity & Harm/Care. I would suspect that most liberal Christians tend to favor a "Golden Rule New Testament" while conservatives tend to favor a view of Jesus tempered in Old Testament regalia. I.E. - A liberal would be more apt to suggest that Jesus saves on good works done regardless of religious affiliation, while conservatives are more apt to suggest that "only through Christ" can one achieve salvation.

Further, Liberals tend to want to change and tinker with the rules of the establishment in order to alleviate suffering and promote equality. Conservatives tend to side with the establishment even at the extended suffering of those who are being crushed by the establishment. Control and order, what little we can lay claim to, is very difficult to establish and very easy to lose. They understand the perils which social entropy presents, while liberals would see it as a chance to wipe the slate clean and start again.

Ideally, this is how a complex adaptive system adapts carefully and cautiously - so that it doesn't stagnate in conformity, yet doesn't loose cohesion and dissipate in anarchy. It's optimization at "The Edge of Chaos", in a way.

Of course, I'm just working with stereotypes here. Individuals aren't bound by commonalities observed within large groups, and where you stand as an individual is unique to you. Unless, of course, you forfeit your own moral standards in order to more closely align yourself with a label.

[edit on 20-1-2010 by Lasheic]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I wouldn't worry about it...

A lot of people in the UK think conservatives are out of touch, Daily mail reading , middle class old dinosaurs who are out of touch with the world.

Possibly because Margaret Thatcher ruined the country and made a huge vaccum between the classes that Labour had to spend years repairing the damage the conservatives had done.

Not that new labour are any better mind you, they are just as idiotic as the conservatives they replaced.

So yeah don't feel too bad, you are hated just as much in the UK as you are in America

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Man, you're great. You nailed it on the spot! They just don't understand anything about politics and other current issues.

You're right about that. Some people see the world different. I just have to respect that in my fellow country men and women.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
A true liberal should be tolerant of all people and views and harbor hate towards nobody. The pure hatred of some far left and far right people makes me feel sick. I try to avoid the MSM because they thrive on conflict so much and promote a lot of hate between people with different ideologies.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I'm not a fan of the question. I think the "pure" liberal or conservative is a myth. If you put up a list of the characteristics of both, I think most people would find they'd select a certain number of traits or beliefs from both lists.

The Machine wants you to pick a side, and there's a vested interest in demonizing the opposition. As for liberals being anti-Christian, there are an awful lot of liberal Catholics out there. Most Catholics are Democrats. Kennedys, anyone?

How about the Berrigan brothers? Were they conservative? Would you deem the Catholic universities as bastions of conservatism?

I think fundamentalist Protestants are predominately conservative but they don't constitute the entire body of Christians.

I think it's an over-simplification labeling exercise and if it SEEMS that liberals hate conservatives and Christianity then your perception may be skewed.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I don't really "hate anyone. That is a very strong emotion I reserve for the very, very few who desrve it. It does however serve the best interests of the TPTB. If we could unite, in spite of our differences, think what a positive force we could be.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by poedxsoldiervet
I think your wrong when it comes to you saying that christians are the least charitable, Catholics and Christians feed, and clothe the poor around the world, havent you seen those feed the childern comercials? I know my church tithes money for Local kids, and we have taking up donations for Haiti....

Now as far as Tolerant you are right to a point some christians are not very christian like and attack people who are gay and such.. but LIBERALS spew more hate then I have ever seen...

I'd say that it is my impression that the Christian Right...as such...ties their tolerance to their charity so that both can come with strings attached. But yes, many churches do good works.

As to the topic at hand, while I will not engage in a debate, I will simply make the observation that as one who is of a Liberal bent, I'd say that it is the Right that is full of hate.

So what does that tell us? Perhaps it is most useful if both philosophies feel they are being pilloried by the other? Maybe we all have more in common than some might think. Or like...

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Jacob08

And a true scotsman would never put sugar on his porridge.

Hate is a normal human emotion. It probably isn't an especially positive one (who knows, there might be occasions) but every single human on the face of the earth has experienced hatred.

I am most definitely a liberal, and I am most definitely very intolerant of many views. For instance, I'm intolerant of the view that it's okay to cut out a little girl's clitoris and then stitch her labia shut. I'm very intolerant of the notion that schools should be sold to private industry at a loss, in order for the new owners to turn a profit. I'm very intolerant of the notion that going to war just to have a war on is a good idea. I'm very intolerant of the idea that poor people are bad people who "deserve" to be poor. I'm deeply intolerant of people who believe that a kin color or nationality is a measure of human worth. I'm intolerant of stupid hippies who think dropping out of the system is the key to getting policy they want, too.

I'm a liberal not in spite of all this stuff I don't tolerate, but because of it. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but I am under no impulse to treat these opinions as valid.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join