It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two Dominican workers shot in Haiti during relief effort

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Two Dominican workers shot in Haiti during relief effort

www.dominicantoday.com

Santo Domingo.– Two Dominican workers were seriously wounded after being shot Saturday as they handed out aid in quake-stricken Haiti.

According to media reports, Carlos Gatas and Milton Matos arrived at the Dominican embassy in Port-au-Prince with gunshot wounds after an apparent attack.

Gatas' injuries were so serious that Dominican armed forces evacuated him by helicopter to Jimani on the border with Haiti and then on to Barahona, for medical treatment. Matos was treated at a building being used the UN peacekeeping force MINUSTAH, reports said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
From the three aid workers two men and a women, one of the men had gun shots to his face and chest the other got gun shots to his back, the women was unharmed.

This obviously is going to raise concern about the security of the aid workers in Haiti.

The aid workers didn't have a any security at the time by the UN.

www.dominicantoday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

The aid workers didn't have a any security at the time by the UN.

Isn't that a sad testament to the state of civilization? Why would we even assume that "security" is necessary, for a human attempting to help a fellow human?

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Hi!

This is the sad, but true state of our world.

Now what, we need security for the Police and Military?

Just another way for the UN to take final and utter control of all nations' military and police forces!

Psalm 91:11-12 ~ For He shall give His angels charge over you, to keep you in all your ways. And they shall hold you up, lest you dash your foot upon a stone.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I imagine as the situation deteriorates more, this will become more and more common.

Starvation and desperation will make you go from civil and behaved to savage resource frenzied.

how bloody hard would it be to simply fly over doing carpet bombings over haiti anyhow, but instead of bombs, drop soft loaves of bread..get the immediate starvation issue under control.

seriously...getting hit on the head by a loaf of wonderbread travelling at 150mph would make a baby simply chuckle..and voila...you have stopped the immediate threat, along with dispursed the food in such a grand area that hoarders would have no luck in getting more than 1-2 loaves before the rest was scooped up by everyone else.

driving a small truck into a crowd of people and expecting the insanely hungry masses to be cordial is now a near impossibility...especially when you know there isnt enough...if you got your kid or wife/mother/whatever to feed, you will get food by any means necessary.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
In my opinion any disaster relief workers, especially ones sent to such tragedy stricken areas as Haiti is at the moment, should be trained for any eventuality. They should be armed, for their DEFENSE only. And of course defensive gear would be needed.

It's sad that I have to have this opinion. You think you would just be able to go in and help people but that is not the case in this day and age. But this is just my opinion ^_^.

[edit] for: I like to leave words out of my sentences for some reason

[edit on 17-1-2010 by angrymomma]

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Yes there is and will be Chaos in the streets of Haiti especially when people

have not eaten or had clean drinking water in days they can turn into

savages.

This is very evident and has been predicted that there would be the

overrunning of relief workers with life saving supplies that need to be handed

out. It will be hard to contain the people of Haiti until massive troops arrive

to control the population and handing out of supplies. 10,000 U.S. troops will

arrive in Haiti tomorrow 1/18/10 that will help maters somewhat.

Although it is not the best way to hand out goods but I saw relief workers

handing out goods on T.V. thru Iron bars to keep from being overrun and

killed.

Supplies are piling up at the airport with no plans to disperse them to the

population as of yet and this is very true. Haitians are leaving the city by the

droves to go into the countryside to survive and now there are plans to

make air drops into the countryside to give them relief. ^Y^

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
From what I have been hearing from new outlets and my buddy in the Coast Guard, the bulk of these incidents are being perpetrated by gangs and criminal element, rather than starving civvies. Just like in Somalia the criminals steal the aid and sell it to the population. There are always predators in cases like this.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I feel sad for the Dominicans who have befallen violence, by the Haitians. With the hopeless state of affairs in that country, it is to be expected. To me, nothing gives me fear more than a person on an empty stomach. That is when all semblance of civility falls to wayside. Survival mode kicks in. Could the tragic event in Haiti be only a birds-eye view of the world, and how things will be in a global crisis or after a global calamity?

I have been watching on the news and it is like tinder box ready to explode at any moment. No electricity, medical care, policing, or food. Surrounded by a wasteland that was once you neighborhood or town. I think the think in Haiti is on the scale of Hurricane Katrina, the Tsunami in 2004, and even the San Francisco earthquake from the last century. It is hell on earth down there.

The violence will only continue as social order continues to deteriorate. Law and order will be the law of the jungle. What raises my concern about the deteriorating situation among the Haitian population, is that in a matter of days the war-hardened green machine with multiple tours in Afghanistan and Iraq will be policing the streets. I hope the military practices the utmost patience when dealing with the people, because with situation there, they will be pushed to the limits unseen since Iraq or Afghanistan. We don't need an international incident involving rampaging rioters and the military discharging their weapons in panic for defense. The MSM has a tendency to blow things out of proportion. Lets hope the military can restore order and maintain the flow of aid in a somber setting.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by WTFover

I know, specially in a nation that the regular population are not allowed to carry weapons since the disbanded Military during the 90s.

Only the police and government officials can carry weapons.

Now some media is blaming the attack to the animosity that the two countries had for years.

But this is after all a humanitarian effort.

To tell you the truth how in the heck this weapon was within the population and why attacking just aid workers un arm and vulnerable, could this be something more but a targeting to have now the government bringing private security forces into Haiti?.

Is always those that find a way to profit out of chaos.

[edit on 17-1-2010 by marg6043]

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by angrymomma

Yes I strongly agree, people that are send in isolated areas with no protection need to carry arms.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
COME ON PEOPLE! This IS NOT the state of the world it's the STATE OF HAITI AND THE HAITIAN PEOPLE! Why do you think that country is such a failure?

Go to FL and ask how Haitians have destroyed the local communities..........oh but they're just poor right?

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy
COME ON PEOPLE! This IS NOT the state of the world it's the STATE OF HAITI AND THE HAITIAN PEOPLE! Why do you think that country is such a failure?

Go to FL and ask how Haitians have destroyed the local communities..........oh but they're just poor right?

It may not be the state of world now, but push humanity to the brink. After that lets see if you are right. Let's see just how humane humanity can be in a hopeless situation, no electricity, no grocery stores, no government, and other departures from our normal behavior. I hope you are right in your assertions, but I see desperate times bringing on desperate measures by those trying to survive.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

Yeah well that's what happens when you overpopulate your country. If chaos struck the US the only place you'd see Haiti like scenarios is in big cities. That's why I don't live in a big city.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

I am in agreement with you about residing in a big city if there is a hiccup in the scheme of things. It will be a nightmare. It is something I wouldn't want to experience on any day. Millions of desperate angry people living in close proximity in a somewhat confined area, is a recipe for disaster. So, no thanks, but I think I will pass on that little adventure. Thanks for the reply!

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

I agree with not living in a big city. My husband and I are saving up so that we can get out of the city we live in because we know when (when not if) something big goes down we have to be able to protect our kids (1 now but one on the way
) to the best of our ability.

As seen in Haiti, when SHTF it becomes anarchy.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Dropping Wonder Bread is probably not the answer. This is Obama's Katrina. A ship containing enought food for 6 months is due to arrive tomorrow from US- good luck distributing unless the 10,000 US soldiers are near by to control the crowds.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy
reply to post by Jakes51

Yeah well that's what happens when you overpopulate your country. If chaos struck the US the only place you'd see Haiti like scenarios is in big cities. That's why I don't live in a big city.

You are exactly right if chaos struck the U.S. you must get out of the big cities.

I just told somebody today that we must make an advanced plan to leave the

city if chaos takes place in the U.S. whether it be a disaster, terrorist act or

rebellion. ^Y^

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by WTFover

I know, specially in a nation that the regular population are not allowed to carry weapons since the disbanded Military during the 90s.

Only the police and government officials can carry weapons.

That's true, but if some of the police were killed in the quake, anyone can take their weapons from them.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaploink

I know, this one is going to be a worthy one to watch, if we see more armed trouble makers around, we may be heading for some unseen forces that will catch out on the chaos and have some hidden agenda.

Because is nothing in Haiti for anybody to even kill for, unless is profiting from an arm conflict even if is just of trouble makers.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join