It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crips and Bloods gangs agree to truce

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 08:55 AM
link   
NEW YORK (Reuters) -- Rival street gangs the Crips and Bloods have agreed to a truce in Newark, New Jersey, aimed at stemming the violence that has plagued the city and gone too far for even the gang members, officials said Tuesday.

The peace agreement, reached over the weekend, involved 150 members from several gang factions and laid out a 10-point plan including an immediate cease-fire.

The plan also asks gang members to refrain from using gang hand signals, graffiti or other symbols to incite the killing of rivals.

[url=http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Northeast/05/25/gangs.truce.reut/index.html]http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Northeast/05/25/gangs.truce.reut/index.html[/ur l]

Under the truce, gang members also vowed to designate places like schools, churches and parks as neutral zones and to avoid encroaching on each other's territory without notice.

The Crips and Bloods originated in Los Angeles in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Crips often wear blue and Bloods red.

Members, who range in age from 13 to 40, often deal in drugs such as coc aine, heroin and marijuana and their rivalry has spawned years of bloodshed for both sides.

While local police declined to estimate gang membership, an FBI Web site estimates each gang has about 10,000 members nationwide.

An aide to Baraka said talks to draw up the peace deal began two months ago when gang members saw the movie "Redemption."

The film is about the life of Crips co-founder Stanley "Tookie" Williams, who now speaks out against violence from his cell on California's death row.

"These young men were tired of committing violent acts and being blamed for ones they didn't do," said David Muhammad, an aid to Baraka.

When I read this I thought maybe it was a plot for a movie or something. I really hope that this lasts. This is definitley one headline that I thought that I would never read in my life time.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 10:08 AM
link   
This is great news. It appears they finally realized that they were only killing themselves with that behavior. Now if they also realize the damage that they do to their communities by selling drugs, they could really turn into a positive social force.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Excellent and hopeful news. Gang warfare is such a waste of lives and resources, and so often the innocent get caught in the crossfire.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I a very optimisic person, I really really hope that this continues with these guys.

Even if they don't quit selling the drugs, just the thought that they will see eachother on the street and not start shooting, I think that's great.

The nuteral territories is also a good thing, especially since schools and churches are now "nuetral", maybe some kids will not see the gang violence and end up in that lifestyle.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 10:41 AM
link   
It's about time. I just hope it will last. I read recently that a rap group known as Dead Prez is in the process of forming a new gang. One that is committed to educating the people about the chaos going on in the world. This will be a gang full of "GANGsters", but Revolutionary Gansters.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 10:50 AM
link   
i knew the overnight rec centre lockdown would work.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeworld_Esq.
It's about time. I just hope it will last. I read recently that a rap group known as Dead Prez is in the process of forming a new gang. One that is committed to educating the people about the chaos going on in the world. This will be a gang full of "GANGsters", but Revolutionary Gansters.

Encarta Dictionary:
-gang ster (noun)

a member of an organized gang of criminals, especially a racketeer.

Couldn't they come up with a more positive discription of themselves?

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 10:56 AM
link   
That's good news to hear, hopefully the violence will be stemmed.

Originally posted by Freeworld_Esq.
I read recently that a rap group known as Dead Prez is in the process of forming a new gang. One that is committed to educating the people about the chaos going on in the world. This will be a gang full of "GANGsters", but Revolutionary Gansters.

Really? That'd be interesting to see. I've been a fan of Dead prez for several years, and they've got some good tunes. I'll have to check into that, lol.
I don't imagine they would be interested informing a gang in the same league as the ones being discussed here, though.

[Edited on 26-5-2004 by parrhesia]

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Paarhesia, from what I have read, there gang will not be a paper gang.

By that I mean, they want to hit the streets with their ideals. Not gang, as in Violence, but Gang as in their methods of recruitment and education.

I hope they have a chapter out here, because these fools need some guidance.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Yes, I figured as much, Freeworld.
I suppose it could be seen as taking 'street teaming' to the next level. It's not a bad idea. As I've said, I'm a fan of DP, and have been for a while, it'd be good to get the word out, they've got some good messages.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Good, now the Crips ove rhere are gonna be good from now on. Gangs are'nt much of a problem over here. There's the Hispanics who don;t have a name really their just a bunch of Mexicans who hang out, there's a whites who think they are black gang, and then thers the Crips.

I never thought I would see the Bloods and the Crips go into a truce, but hell its a good thing.

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Bloods and Crips truce is pretty amazing, over 30 years of beef between them, if they can keep it up it will be a huge achievment.

Good to hear some good news nowdays

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by parrhesia
As I've said, I'm a fan of DP, and have been for a while, it'd be good to get the word out, they've got some good messages.

I try to be a fan....but their ignorance is annoying...they are blatently racist...and very very Anti-law...theyve been arrested for serious [email protected] they claim they were set up....total bs...watch their new video...youll see the racism im talking about...like I said...i tried to be a fan cause they are talented...but at the same time they are blind to the facts...

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dabue
Bloods and Crips truce is pretty amazing, over 30 years of beef between them, if they can keep it up it will be a huge achievment.

In other parts of the country theyve made truces before...they even have a few rap albums out with both groups collaborating on it....but it doesnt last long...never has...and the shooting starts up again...my guess based on the past....give it a year...at best...

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 06:22 AM
link   
I agree. The very nature of a gang means that a truce is going to be almost impossible to keep. Kids are raised to hate the other color - it's not something that can just be turned off overnight.

You only need one shooting of a gang member for the fingers to start pointing and the whole cycle of violence to erupt again.
A truce is no good. If the Bloods and the Crips are going to remain as gangs, they need a total restructuring to enable it to hold.

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Awwww It brings warm feelings to my heart hearing these drug dealing murderous sons of bitches have decided to get along. *sniff sniff* this is a great day in american history.

[Edited on 27-5-2004 by Ocelot]

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 07:27 AM
link   
when superman speaks...you listen...

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by BasementAddix
when superman speaks...you listen...

Damn Straight.

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 08:21 AM
link   
You gotta be kidding me? DP's new video. I imagine your talking about the one where the "white" family gets car jacked.... If you reemember, or if your local video show dared to show the entire video, you will note that It was a dream.

I have to admit DP has some over the line statements and lyrics. The cases they caught in NY were bogus. Not only will they beat the charges, they will make the city pay. I know this to be true. They are in the process of ending the cases now, and soon after will file suit. AS usual NYC police felt the need to get violent.

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 09:54 PM
link   
what would be better than some fake truce is if they all did it out mano a mano until none were left... the fake peace treaty will last oohhh like about a month and then they will be back to killin and maimin..these people got no soul except for violence and drugs and they all deserve to die

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join