It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HUGE Solar explosion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov...

I hope there is a calm rational explanation for this baby.

It is exponentially bigger than anything I have seen. CME? Flare?

Edit: Title.

[edit on 15-1-2010 by intrepid]

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Doesnt it say it happened on the 14th? wouldnt we have felt something by now if it was dangerous?

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

please discuss this on my thread

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Well I'm not Phage, but I feel pretty comfortable saying yes, we're all going to die ... eventually.

Edit to point out that this post made sense with the original thread title ... before intrepid went and ruined my funny ... AGAIN!

[edit on 15 Jan 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
[flamesuit on]

Anybody see the huge alien face?

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   

I am surprised this wasn't mentioned on www.spaceweather.com that does look rather significant.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
It depends on how fast it travels. If I am not mistaken suns rays travel pretty fast.
It is weird though all day yesterday I felt I had a headache and very dizzy.My mom and sister did as well. I noticed my phone kept getting interference. I also noticed come cable interferences as well maybe it was related?

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I am part of a group that watches the sun and the only notice I got this week was on the ninth and that was about an earthquake alert.
When the earthquakes hit this week I was happy I was informed ahead of time and that warning proved accurate.
If it was something significant I would have gotten an e-mail already as these guys are all over things.
I'll keep you posted if its something to worry about and if I get informed about anything.

Sincerely,
Phage's stunt double(crosses arms)

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Wow. Just wow. That flare looks absolutely huge. We are very far away from the sun though. No where on the news though

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I'm assuming this flare did not eject in our direction. Had it done so, we would have been fried. The photo suggests it ejected about 90 degrees off earths trajectory. The sheer size of it is fightening.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Here are some that have happed in the last week of solar activity.

www.lmsal.com...]http://www.lmsal.com/solarsoft/latest_events_sum mary/gev_20100109_1450/gev_20100109_1450_lm.html

And here is another one.
www.lmsal.com...]http://www.lmsal.com/solarsoft/latest_events_ summary/gev_20100109_1450/gev_20100109_1450_sxilm.html

Here is the big one that you are talking about.
www.lmsal.com...

Here is a prediction of how bad 2010 to 2011 id going to be.
science.nasa.gov...

I think you may find this all vary interesting.

[edit on 15-1-2010 by jsettica]

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Just thought you'd all find this interesting as it pretains to "killer" flares or CMEs.

www.universetoday.com...

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by destroyhate

like earthquakes?

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I don't think the sun wants to kill us it has put up with us this long!

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by bargoose
I'm assuming this flare did not eject in our direction. Had it done so, we would have been fried. The photo suggests it ejected about 90 degrees off earths trajectory. The sheer size of it is fightening.

uh isn't the photo taken from one of the Stereo craft that are ahead of earth by 90 degrees in our orbit's path?

so it very well could have been ejected straight toward us if it's taken by our craft that's 90 degrees away from us in orbit....

ahem..

-

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
If the satellite is 90 degrees ahead, wouldn't that mean it would take us 1/4 of a year to get there? 90+90+90+90 = 360 = full circle, full orbit.
So we would have to travel ahead 3 months in a few days time to have the flare reach us.

Edit:

My bad, I just realized what you mean. Well if its 90 degrees then the flare very well could be on the other side of the sun rather than towards us, either way i'd think we'd be fried by now if it did head towards us.

[edit on 18-1-2010 by LOLZebra]

new topics

top topics

join