It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Explosion on LASCO C2?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
What is this on LASCO C2??

looks really wierd to me and if you zoom in on it there looks like spirals around the sun ?

[edit on 15-1-2010 by kyle43]

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Hmm thats pretty interesting , thanks for posting it up
I am no space expert so I will not comment on what this is but I guess we will have our local space experts here soon

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Mistery....

Thanks for shating. S&F.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
If you watch the mpeg movie you can see it in action followed by a big CME. And also something zooms across the top of the screen as it happens, it moves faster than than the planet below it, but much slower than some of the regularly seen objects.

SOHO Movie

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by kyle43

Hi Kyle,

I just made a Lasco C2 movie from 14th to 15th and the flash is on it okay, and all is back to normal quickly. So it doesn't to have done any immediate damage at least. In the section of pics I used there is a bright starlike, but small more foreground object that pops up very low centre and transits across right to left. I am wondering what that could have been.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by timewalker

Hi Time,
We both doing the same thing, did you use a start and end date, and did you notice the thing I have already mentioned.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by smurfy
reply to post by kyle43

Hi Kyle,

I just made a Lasco C2 movie from 14th to 15th and the flash is on it okay, and all is back to normal quickly. So it doesn't to have done any immediate damage at least. In the section of pics I used there is a bright starlike, but small more foreground object that pops up very low centre and transits across right to left. I am wondering what that could have been.

Are you talking about the object at 2010/01/14 4:19 ?

I didn't notice that either. Nice observation. I also don't think the "explosion" had any DIRECT effect on the Earth but thats not to say it couldn't be focused on another heavenly body. It looks far to perfect to be a glitch in my opinion. The "rings" around the Sun's poles were also called to be a glitch but still no official word from SOHO so who knows!?

I'm just really fascinated by the spiral effect going around the corona

[edit on 15-1-2010 by kyle43]

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I believe this is what you see when they reposition the disc that occults the Sun and/or the the instrument itself.

The over exposed portion of the image suggests that the Sun was partly uncovered during an exposure (they can last some seconds as I recall), and the ripple effect is caused by the disk being repositioned I would say.

As for the other object that moves across the top of the animation, my bet would be a sun-grazing comet.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

There is a mpeg movie page here

SOHO Movies

You can choose Lasco C2 and it automatically pulls the dates. The spot I was talking about is in the upper above the Sun moves from left to right.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
We wouldst see any effects yet if this did happen but you can keep an eye on

www2.nict.go.jp...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Phages thread on what it means also

[edit on 15-1-2010 by whoshotJR]

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I dunno if it means anything but cell service in this area began getting sketchy yesterday and has gradually improved since.

Then again, we ARE talking about Verizon...

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by kyle43

Yes, there are two frames, one at 4.06 & 4.19.

[edit on 15-1-2010 by smurfy]

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
IMO, it's not a flare, it's possibly just an anomaly. If it was a flare it would be the biggest ever recorded and surely in the news. Good catch though.

Here is the biggest solar flare ever recorded from SOHO.

11-04-2003 - sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov...

Look up the dates from the link below to view other historic flares.
www.spaceweather.com...

Guz

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by timewalker

Thanks time, I've already done that, but I put in an end date and it gives you a bit longer time, in this case 91 frames. Is your object at 17.28?

[edit on 15-1-2010 by smurfy]

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Guzzeppi
IMO, it's not a flare, it's possibly just an anomaly. If it was a flare it would be the biggest ever recorded and surely in the news. Good catch though.

Here is the biggest solar flare ever recorded from SOHO.

11-04-2003 - sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov...

Look up the dates from the link below to view other historic flares.
www.spaceweather.com...

Guz

I too don't think this is a "flare". It looks so focused. Also think of all the things that should receive media attention but don't. Do not be decieved by the coverage this gets. I think its big but I'm also bias because I pray everyday that the change everyone is waiting for comes along

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

Well dont know about that,an avarege CME travels at about 500KM/sec

So thats takes it about 3 to 4 days to reach us

So we will know in a day or two i guess

Cheers

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by sunspot0

The CME would have to be directed at Earth for it to effect us if indeed it was. The X28 that is the largest ever recorded to date was not, I don't believe. It would be interesting to find out what a direct hit from a major X-flare would do to our planet. I have no clue.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Guzzeppi
reply to post by sunspot0

The CME would have to be directed at Earth for it to effect us if indeed it was. The X28 that is the largest ever recorded to date was not, I don't believe. It would be interesting to find out what a direct hit from a major X-flare would do to our planet. I have no clue.

what would it do?

It would fry every electronic device, including our satelites in space, would knock out all electricity and damage the earths protective shield, letting in loads of radiation to harm humans.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by kyle43

I too wish for change as long as it doesn't involve doom and gloom. The way things are today and the way we are heading is no place I wish my children to grow up in. Change = Hell Ya!!!

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Itop1

Thanks! I knew that much, but I was wondering about the ones that are even bigger. I guess it would be along the same lines except x10. Hard to fathom. I guess we've been very lucky thus far.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join