It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama gives Unions $60 billion bribe; exempts them from various healthcare taxes

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
What a great guy. Obama is at it again! Atleast he's trying to make some of us happy. It's really unfortunate for those who aren't unionized.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
This is a bad idea, but it's sound in a political way. He knew that he couldn't get this health bill passed without the unions support, so he threw them a bone in order to put pressure on the other congress men and women who where on the fence.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I can't stand unions. I come from an average laboring middle-class family, like pretty much everyone else in this country. I've never known anyone in my entire family that was ever a part of a Union of any kind. I'd have to dig deep to find someone. I'm talking shipyards, steel workers, plants, factories, you name it.

All I hear are stories of how they had to get fired because the Unions were pushing in and needed to fill *their* slots, or how the Unions would get huge benefits and compensation while the other workers did not. Basically wedging the non-Union workers out of the picture. It reminds me most of Eminent Domain, if workers were property (which they are) and the Union was the state.

The Unions started really well, and we really needed them. Hell, they are useful now in some cases and they offer great protection and benefits in a legitimate fashion. However, we all know how 95% of all Unions operate. They go on "strike" or what have you, demanding more of this and more of that until the workplace caves in and cuts-back on non-Union worker's pay and raises the Union's compensation. Totally corrupt and disgusting behavior. Most Union workers are lazy scumbags, usually quite fat and selfish.

[edit on 15-1-2010 by SyphonX]

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I am really waiting to hear one of the liberals on ATS tell me why this policy is ok and fair. They have been able to offer some sort of explanation, even if the explanation was wrong or didn't make sense. I am really curious as to what they will say about this one. It doesn't target the wealthy or big business, but instead just gives preferential treatment to Unions and union members and then targets non-Obama supporters.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I just heard this put in an amazingly clear way:

THIS AMOUNTS TO A $60 BILLION BRIBE OF UNIONS FOR THEIR SUPPORT

[edit on 15-1-2010 by johnny2127]

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by SyphonX

Hi I am AFL-CIO or I was until the decided to screw the company over. They would fight for things like wearing t-shirts instead of the uniforms and so on and so on. Unions are not bad it is the greedy as* people running them it is like organized crime. When are local head would come down his shirt was open to his belly button and had many gold chains this is a little sketchy in my eyes. I am unemployed because of one thing and that one thing is unions I wish I could get back my 12 years of dues.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective Truth
reply to post by SyphonX

Hi I am AFL-CIO or I was until the decided to screw the company over. They would fight for things like wearing t-shirts instead of the uniforms and so on and so on. Unions are not bad it is the greedy as* people running them it is like organized crime. When are local head would come down his shirt was open to his belly button and had many gold chains this is a little sketchy in my eyes. I am unemployed because of one thing and that one thing is unions I wish I could get back my 12 years of dues.

Sadly this is a very common story. Unions ruined many airlines, and ruined the auto industry in the US. Do to union running the airlines into the ground, hundreds of thousands of retired employees had their pensions cancelled when the airlines entered bankruptcy.

The unions started out doing many good things. Sadly though, now they are mostly an organization that strong arms businesses for as much as they can get, not what is best for both employees and the business. There is an equilibrium. They don't care about that anymore.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I'm confused on why out-right corruption and scams is considered "liberal" unless you people don't know what you're talking about. I stray pretty far to the left compared to most of you and I find this appalling and pathetic. I'm sorry but any "liberal" with any sense in his brain hates Obama for his raping of the economy and the expansion of the wars. The only people who like this crook is the rich.

I #ing hate unions too. One of my earliest memory was crossing a teamster line when they were picketing my parents small business. Unions are nothing more than organized crime in the modern world. I'm not saying they don't do good and that we should get rid of them. I'm just saying modern unions are bull#.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by CuriousSkeptic
I'm confused on why out-right corruption and scams is considered "liberal" unless you people don't know what you're talking about. I stray pretty far to the left compared to most of you and I find this appalling and pathetic. I'm sorry but any "liberal" with any sense in his brain hates Obama for his raping of the economy and the expansion of the wars. The only people who like this crook is the rich.

I #ing hate unions too. One of my earliest memory was crossing a teamster line when they were picketing my parents small business. Unions are nothing more than organized crime in the modern world. I'm not saying they don't do good and that we should get rid of them. I'm just saying modern unions are bull#.

Oh by no means was I trying to say that corruption and scams is something only coming from liberals. Sadly that is part of human nature, and with too much power political parties tend to take advantage of it and do some unethical things. Whether its Republicans doing this stuff, or democrats, its unacceptable. This isn't sports and we are cheering for a side. It was just as wrong when Bush did any of this crap. Its just so appalling because of all Obama's promises and speeches about honesty and transparency. Then he is blatantly the opposite.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
This is unbelievably disgusting. I'll be passing this article on to others. I get so angry when I hear about the extraordinary pay, benefits, pensions and hours union/state workers get while those of us in the private sector struggle to survive.

Many of them never went to college or never received some form of higher education, yet they get paid more and are protected better than those who did receive higher education. Financially-speaking, is it even worth going to school?! It seems as though the best thing to do is to quit after high school, get a union job and live happily ever after.
You don't have to work so hard, things don't need to be done right away, they don't need to be done to perfection, just as long as something gets done at some point in time. You still get paid and you don't really have to worry about losing your job!

This news is just another stab in the back.
This place is starting look more and more like the Communism my family escaped in the 80s. Workers unite, kill or chase all the evil businesses/business men out, let Government take them over and declare no right to private property, because everything belongs to everybody (meaning the Government).

Some may think I'm overreacting (and maybe I am. I don't know.), but when the Unions get preferential treatment over everyone else, more people are going to want to join them in order to have a better life, giving the Unions even more power. Unions have destroyed or at least hindered many businesses by demanding things the businesses could not deliver. Like parasites they suck the blood right out of the private sector until there's hardly anything left. It's tragic. Businesses begin to leave the country and go someplace else where they can still make a profit doing what they do. Why would ANYONE want to deal with the stress of building a business when things like Unions are going to make it hell, and the Government begins to tax the crap out of them? It's not worth the gray hair.

Keep putting stress on the private sector and see what this country will become. It will be in poverty and ruins, because all the truly industrious people will go elsewhere, and all the parasites will remain here. When there's nothing left here to take, they can bicker amongst themselves.
-- Rant over.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
My sympathies America...

The world seems so backwards. Politicians representing business and finance but not the people.

And yet they always turn to the gentry with a frown and say we gotta buckle up or tighten our belts or stand up or sit down and most of us bark and wag our tails...

Can Obama do this backroom deal on his power alone or does he need Congress to approve it?

Either way this stinks to high heaven.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by thebulldog
My sympathies America...

The world seems so backwards. Politicians representing business and finance but not the people.

And yet they always turn to the gentry with a frown and say we gotta buckle up or tighten our belts or stand up or sit down and most of us bark and wag our tails...

Can Obama do this backroom deal on his power alone or does he need Congress to approve it?

Either way this stinks to high heaven.

To answer your question, this deal was made and changes the language inside the healthcare legislation. Of course Congress has to approve it, but democrats that were on the fence, were most worried about union support. Now that is taken care of, they support this deal Obama made. Very sad day for American politics.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Classic...

Mr. Obama traveled to Capitol Hill to reassure House Democrats who feared a vote for the bill would be politically damaging. "I know how big a lift this has been. I see the polls," Mr. Obama said. He promised to wage a "great campaign from one end of the country to the other" to sell the legislation to the public should it become law.

He promises to "sell" the public on the bill AFTER it becomes law?

here

[edit on 15-1-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by OldManReilly

Sorry man, but this type of baiting is getting old. Many people (liberals, mid-liners, conservatives and other) finding issue with this...

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
One must wonder? Is he really the president, does he know it yet? Seems he spends more time campaigning than anything else. As a side note, if they are worried, seems they know they are doing wrong......I wonder what it cost to get their votes to begin with, and will more "deals" be made to further ensure their compliance.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by johnny2127

"From talking to a good deal of people today and sending this article to many people (my liberal friends included), this deal seems to be a turning point for many. There is no good excuse even for the most staunch supporter of Obama, and they can recognize how politically dirty this is. This seems like it is going to backfire big time, and has started to already."

Johnny do you really believe that Obama and his cohorts care what repercussions there are from the public. The people have been against everything congress has pushed thru in the last year. Yet they still keep cramming the legislation down our throats. There must be far more at stake than they are prepared to tell us,as they do not seem to worried about their reelections. There must be some very scary people above the congress for them to lose their fear of the voters.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
reply to post by OldManReilly

Sorry man, but this type of baiting is getting old. Many people (liberals, mid-liners, conservatives and other) finding issue with this...

I know many democrats have issues with this deal with the unions. But many do not also. Are you not curious as to their rationalization?

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by daddyroo45
reply to post by johnny2127

"From talking to a good deal of people today and sending this article to many people (my liberal friends included), this deal seems to be a turning point for many. There is no good excuse even for the most staunch supporter of Obama, and they can recognize how politically dirty this is. This seems like it is going to backfire big time, and has started to already."

Johnny do you really believe that Obama and his cohorts care what repercussions there are from the public. The people have been against everything congress has pushed thru in the last year. Yet they still keep cramming the legislation down our throats. There must be far more at stake than they are prepared to tell us,as they do not seem to worried about their reelections. There must be some very scary people above the congress for them to lose their fear of the voters.

I can see where you are coming from, but personally do not believe it is true. In my personal opinion, I think this coming from Obama's huge ego and his knowledge that he doesn't face the voters until 2012. He knows that he can move back towards the center and campaign as a moderate again. His ego is his biggest weakness because it blinds him to reality.

They released this deal on a Friday, when most of the country is focused on Haiti. So while we know about this deal, most do not. Hence why we all have to forward the article I linked to on the first post. It is our duty to show people what is going on, and then they can decide for themselves if they will support it or not.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
What are guys so worked up about? Me, personally, I am pleased as punch. In fact, I couldn't be happier! Keep up the bribes Obama, please!!!

Y'all do know that impeachment due to bribery IS an actual impeachable offense, right? And y'all do know that even Massachusetts is going Republican, right.

Now, if I do the math correctly....I believe that 60 - 1 = 59.

What a pity. I also know that the more Republicans that pack the government the closer we come to impeachability (cute, right?).

Go 'Bama Go! Bribe your healthcare bill AND your presidency right where it belongs........

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by daddyroo45
There must be far more at stake than they are prepared to tell us,as they do not seem to worried about their reelections. There must be some very scary people above the congress for them to lose their fear of the voters.

Maybe you're right, or maybe they're not worried, because both Democrats and Republicans are actually the same thing with two different faces. Therefore, they'll still be in power no matter how we vote. I'm starting to believe that they bicker amongst each other only to put on a show for us. I've always wondered why we've never had any other party in power besides the Democrats and Republicans. Then again, even if we had other parties in power what is to stop them from becoming corrupt as well, and following the plan of the man behind the curtain? (Assuming that there is someone or something else controlling the actions of politicians). Sometimes while thinking about what goes on in DC I start to feel hopeless and I can't think of any one solution that would work permanently to abolish corruption in Government.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join