It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please help me!! Geeks welcome :)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Hi BTS,
this is my first thread on BTS, and im hoping for some skilled help. So far ive looked all over the net, but ive failed to find anything specific to my problem.

I have no work tomorrow, and my lil brother is staying over, its almost 2am here in sydney and so far weve failed our mission.

Were trying to connect a desktop and a laptop, both running xp, so we can play against each other on the game Unreal tournament. We have our computers back to back, using 2 ethernet cables and an ethernet switch.

So far weve both connected to the same level, but we cant see each other. Its really frustrating, can somebody please provide me with a step by step guide before i book myself into an institution.

Thanks.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Do you have an internet connection and some kind of router (typically a wifi one with a few ethernet jacks in it) to use in this endavor? If not you will have to do things by hand, try this it should theoretically work, however I haven't had to do an old school setup like this in ages so ymmv.

Computer 1:
IP: 192.168.0.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Computer 2:
IP: 192.168.0.3
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Put that information into the TCP/IP settings on the coresponding computers, and make sure they are both part of the same Workgroup, which should be "WORKGROUP" without the quotes in most default Windows installations that haven't been tweaked with.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Helig

Thankyou very much for your reply Helig. But do those configs also work for non wifi, as stated in my op ??

those ip adresses, are they legit? or can i type any old thing in as long as they match ?

Thankyou for you reply ,

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by scubagravy

>> But do those configs also work for non wifi, as stated in my op ??

Yes, they do.

>> are they legit? or can i type any old thing in as long as they match ?

here are a couple of guides on setting up static IP addresses

How to set up a private network

Using Static IP Addresses on a private network

Have fun.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Here's a guide about playing Unreal Tournament over LAN.

planetunreal.gamespy.com...

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
IIRC, you need a crossover ethernet cable to connect two computers.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by wookiee

correct. that's if you don't have a router or a switch/hub.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by scubagravy

I don't know anything about the game, but if you follow the instructions already given and be certain both computers are in the same workgroup, they should both be able to see each other in network neighborhood.

Open a command line (dos box) and type ping [ip address of other machine]. This will tell you if one sees the other over the network.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Thankyou to all that participated in this thread, it was of great help, thankyou.

Mission successful

Cheers

new topics

top topics

join