It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attack on corporate infrastructure leads to Google ultimatum to Chinese government

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Attack on corporate infrastructure leads to Google ultimatum to Chinese government

www.datacenterdynamics.com

Company says it will stop censoring Google.cn search results or pull out of China completely
(1/12/2010)

Search engine giant Google has pledged to discontinue its operations in China, unless it can reach an agreement with the Chinese government whereby the company will no longer have to sensor certain search results returned by the Chinese version of the world-famous search engine.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.telegraph.co. uk
news.bbc.co.uk

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 03:34 AM
link   
It seems the Chinese are in it again, i can't help but feel for the poor people of china, as they don't get much in the way of freedom, not even on the internet, but could this be yet another attack on China from the west, in an attempt to make china do as the west want them to do. Having said that google has its interests to look out for, i guess.

www.datacenterdynamics.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 03:41 AM
link   
well surely the computer geeks of the world out there, especially in China, would be able to find a way around this stuff....

I refuse to believe that every person in China has problems with accessing info from the net.....

Christ they can piggy back through my OS if they need to lol

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Other countrys would love to censor the net like China, then they can treat the public like mushrooms (kept in the dark and covered in sh..) The PTB want to control the information flow and the messages the public gets. Information=Power

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Google originally launched in China in 2006. Their intent was to "allow free access to the people of China to the internet."

Of course the company agree'd to censor some things, but I believe that it has gotten to the point where China is asking google to censor things that Google is against censoring. An example might be main stream media website from other countries.

I don't believe that Google, a very powerful American company, wants to support any form of extreme facism. They may be "Communists" but the last time I read anything about communism it did not involve censorship.

That being said, I think Google is tired of having China jerk them around with this whole censorship issue.

Google only wanted into China for economic and technological reasons, but I don't think Google is interested in "bending over" as it were.

Interesting info @: Google Blog

[edit on 13-1-2010 by Zenic]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Google should not be censoring anything period. If it's an American company then it's not really standing up for what Americans believe in and that is freedom of speech and thought. Google needs to shut down their Chinese operation and start being American again. Stop being communists Google!

[edit on 13-1-2010 by ViperFoxBat]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Quite right.

I was always bemused why Google took the original decision to self-censor content, so hopefully they are more confident to rectify. However, the Chinese authorities will just block access to Google as they already do with numerous other websites, some of which are listed by Wikipedia list of Chinese blocked websites They also block specific content from e.g. BBC, CNN et al.

If China wants to grow up and join the civilised nations, then it has to start being more open and less (er) dictatorial. However, China is a one party state / dicatorship, so this is what we would expect.

If the average Chinese actually saw the truth then they would be more demanding for more political change and that's difficult for the Chinese authorities to resolve because the more they give, the less they have. The last thing they need is an educated and informed population.

The last time the Chinese decided to demand change in 1989 the authorities were not best pleased and the Tiananmen Square "incident" resulted - altough exact details of the events are unknown to your average Chinese.

Regards

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 05:04 AM
link   
I posted intial info here.

New devlopement, just requesting that this not be locked.

Sorry, bit buzzed atm

But on topic:

I find it really exciting to see a major player like Google taking on the Chinese government - most companies would just bend as long as they could do business there.

Look at Yahoo, they gave up info on a reporter who was critical of the government and he went to prison - I haven't used Yahoo since (and I hope none of you do as well) - in fact the routers on my segment drop Yahoo traffic to the very bottom.

Some like to think Google is evil - and in bed with the "NWO" - I say no - Google does fight for your rights, trust me. I can say that as an IT Manager for Verizon.

[edit on 13-1-2010 by crisko]

top topics

join