It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monsanto's GMO Corn Linked To Organ Failure, Study Reveals

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   

In a study released by the International Journal of Biological Sciences, analyzing the effects of genetically modified foods on mammalian health, researchers found that agricultural giant Monsanto's GM corn is linked to organ damage in rats. According to the study, which was summarized by Adam Shake at Twilight Earth, "Three varieties of Monsanto's GM corn - Mon 863, insecticide-producing Mon 810, and Roundup® herbicide-absorbing NK 603 - were approved for consumption by US, European and several other national food safety authorities."

Read full story:www.huffingtonpost.com...

Link to the report:www.biolsci.org...

All I can say about this is DUH!!!

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by 12GaugePermissionSlip

Well, I can't just say 'duh.' I mean, modifying corn to grow bigger, or faster, or whatever, I don't AUTOMATICALLY think would cause problems in those that eat it.

However (just by the trade names of this GMO corn), it would seem like the corn has been modified to produce/absorb pesticide, which, therefore, not surprisingly, would likely lead to what is being described (renal and hepatic failure).

I think that ultimately this might say more about the effects of pesticides than GMO, in general. Nevertheless, this is but one more example of how corporatism, the natural result of capitalism run amok, will ALWAYS value profit over human welfare, and thus must be regulated to ensure a more perfect union for, by, and of the people.

CORPORATIONS ARE NOT PEOPLE, AND THUS NOT GUARANTEED ANY RIGHTS BY THE CONSTITUTION.

Best,
Skunknuts

[edit on 1/12/2010 by skunknuts]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Full disclosure: I am aware that there is a lot of people into the "Monsanto conspiracies", I, however, have not had the time to look into them. I posted this article for those who are. Hope it adds another crumb to the trail.

I will keep checking back to this thread to possibly gain some more knowledge into this conspiracy.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
It's simply incredibly unnatural. Anyone with an iota of common sense would know that nature knows best. Our ability to progress technologically has greatly exceeded our ability to consider ethical implications of such implementation.

[edit on 12-1-2010 by unityemissions]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
They know this.
They had to know this when they modified the corn to produce its own insecticide.
The knew a long time ago that it caused "allergies".
I have to think that this is all on purpose.
Round-up is a herbicide.
They certainly know that all plants will absorb any pesticide or whatever that is either sprayed on it which washes into the ground.

Permitting this to happen is just pure evil.

Don't you wonder why it is that so many kids are getting cancer these days?

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by 12GaugePermissionSlip

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d7f159c07101.jpg[/atsimg]

Who would've thought. GMO foods really do bite back!

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Actually, nature prefers us to die early. As long as we reach reproductive age, it could care less. Otherwise, it wouldn't have "installed" the telomeres shortening process.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by np6888
reply to post by unityemissions

Actually, nature prefers us to die early. As long as we reach reproductive age, it could care less. Otherwise, it wouldn't have "installed" the telomeres shortening process.

Actually nature does not prefer anything.

Nature does not have a brain, therefore it does not think like we organisms think with our brain.

Nature does not care less or more either. Caring is something organisms do.

Nature does not "install" anything either, it does not undertake mechanical operations in this way.

In fact, "Nature" is a abstract concept to make sense of a grand reality that we simply cannot comprehend.

So as a result, we people tend to apply human qualities to this abstract idea so that we can try to make sense of it.

But it still does not work. Fact is, we know almost nothing about this "Nature."

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Has anyone else noticed for quite some time products made from corn haven't tasted the same? I stopped eating anything made from corn 4 or 5 years ago because it tasted funny. Up until that time corn was a major staple in my diet. I am what you would call a creature of habit, so for it to be so easy for me to stop eating something that I previously relied upon so heavily without as much as a blink tells me a lot. This was way before I knew anything of GMO crops, so it wasn't part of the process. My body just didn't want it anymore and recently I find out that it was for a very good reason. There is no science behind my decision just listening to my body.

Now that I have done almost relentless researching on this topic it is my firm belief that GMO crops are not healthy. This is of course based on preliminary studies that have not reached mainstream eyes, but I live in the country and by listening to my neighbors who own farms, these crops are at best a nuisance. My neighbors crops, livestock, cattle etc. are experiencing reproduction problems, weight problems and a decline in flavor of their products. That's all I need to know.

Jesse Ventura says "follow the money", in this case I say "follow the food"

[edit on 12-1-2010 by MichaelMurphy]

[edit on 12-1-2010 by MichaelMurphy]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
After allocating a little time on this, I started with Roundup.
en.wikipedia.org...

Roundup is the brand name of a systemic, broad-spectrum herbicide produced by the U.S. company Monsanto, and contains the active ingredient glyphosate.

By 2000, a review published in a Monsanto sponsored journal,[11] conducted by Ian C. Munro (a member of the Cantox scientific and regulatory consulting firm whose role is defined as to "protect client interests while helping our clients achieve milestones and bring products to market"[12]) concluded that "under present and expected conditions of new use, there is no potential for Roundup herbicide to pose a health risk to humans".[13] Monsanto uses that study as the main source to support Roundup safety for humans.[14]

A 2008 scientific study has shown that Roundup formulations and metabolic products cause the death of human embryonic, placental, and umbilical cells in vitro, even at low concentrations. The effects were not proportional to the main active ingredient concentrations (glyphosate), but dependent on the nature of the adjuvants used in the Roundup formulation.[15]

Deliberate ingestion of Roundup in quantities ranging from 85-200 ml has resulted in death within hours of ingestion, although it has also been ingested in quantities as large as 500ml with only mild or moderate symptoms following ingestion.[16] There is a reasonable correlation between the amount of Roundup ingested and the likelihood of serious systemic sequelae or death. Ingestion of >85 mL of the concentrated formulation is likely to cause significant toxicity in adults. Gastrointestinal corrosive effects, with mouth, throat and epigastric pain and dysphagia are common. Renal and hepatic impairment are also frequent and usually reflect reduced organ perfusion. Respiratory distress, impaired consciousness, pulmonary oedema, infiltration on chest x-ray, shock, arrythmias, renal failure requiring haemodialysis, metabolic acidosis and hyperkalaemia may supervene in severe cases. Bradycardia and ventricular arrhythmias are often present pre-terminally. Dermal exposure to ready-to-use glyphosate formulations can cause irritation, and photo-contact dermatitis has been reported occasionally; these effects are probably due to the preservative Proxel (benzisothiazolin-3-one). Severe skin burns are very rare. Inhalation is a minor route of exposure, but spray mist may cause oral or nasal discomfort, an unpleasant taste in the mouth, tingling and throat irritation. Eye exposure may lead to mild conjunctivitis, and superficial corneal injury is possible if irrigation is delayed or inadequate.[10]
(emphasis added)

So, Monsanto is actually genetically modifying corn to absorb this crap? No wonder people think they are out to kill all of us!
There is all you need to read to confirm ANY "conspiracy theory".

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Sorry for posting again right after my last post, but, for those not wanting to read the wiki on Roundup, (which is REAL interesting) I also saw this:

False advertising
In 1996, Monsanto was accused of false and misleading advertising of glyphosate products, prompting a law suit by the New York State attorney general.[43] Monsanto had made claims that its spray-on glyphosate based herbicides, including Roundup, were safer than table salt and "practically non-toxic" to mammals, birds, and fish.[44] Environmental and consumer rights campaigners brought a case in France in 2001 for presenting Roundup as biodegradable and claiming that it left the soil clean after use; glyphosate, Roundup's main ingredient, is classed by the European Union as "dangerous for the environment" and "toxic for aquatic organisms". In January 2007, Monsanto was convicted of false advertising.[45] The result was confirmed in 2009.[46] [edit]
Scientific fraud
On two occasions, the United States Environmental Protection Agency has caught scientists deliberately falsifying test results at research laboratories hired by Monsanto to study glyphosate.[47][48][49] In the first incident involving Industrial Biotest Laboratories, an EPA reviewer stated after finding "routine falsification of data" that it was "hard to believe the scientific integrity of the studies when they said they took specimens of the uterus from male rabbits".[50][51][52] In the second incident of falsifying test results in 1991, the owner of the lab (Craven Labs), and three employees were indicted on 20 felony counts, the owner was sentenced to 5 years in prison and fined 50,000 dollars, the lab was fined 15.5 million dollars and ordered to pay 3.7 million dollars in restitution.[33][53][54] Craven laboratories performed studies for 262 pesticide companies including Monsanto. Monsanto has stated that the studies have been repeated, and that Roundup's EPA certification does not now use any studies from Craven Labs or IBT. Monsanto also said that the Craven Labs investigation was started by the EPA after a pesticide industry task force discovered irregularities.[55]

So there IS a huge conspiracy here. Now I understand and agree with those who are always shouting about it. I, like other Americans, listened with half an ear, and said "yea, whatever". Now I'm kinda freaking out a little. Is there any escape from these prolific poisoners?

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Than You PermissionSlip for the literary evidence, I have a hard time finding that stuff. I mostly go by personal experience when making decisions, but those facts are hard to deny. I live in a town that a Monsanto factory used to manufacture BPA for plastics, so I know all to well their history of less than admirable actions. This is just another black mark that can be held against them by the public(aspartame, saccharin). I am boycotting more and more products and companies. Information like this make it that much easier to get my family and friends on board.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
It's simply incredibly unnatural. Anyone with an iota of common sense would know that nature knows best. Our ability to progress technologically has greatly exceeded our ability to consider ethical implications of such implementation.

If I may mis-quote for a moment:

Our ability to progress technologically has greatly exceeded our progress intellectually.

We are fools for thinking we are bigger than nature.

[edit on 12-1-2010 by mirageofdeceit]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
well if you control the food supply you control PEOPLE and the planet.

they know this too.

so do the norweigans or why did they just build a huge seed bank to contain NATURAL varieties of all seeds on earth they could.

if gm seeds are so great, why are we storing the NATURAL ONES?

the answer, they think the gm seeds will wipe out crops on earth causingi famines and then the seed bank will be all thats left.

they searched long and hard for the seeds to put in it; got down to the most basic varieties and earliest; the least modified etc. most natural.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by MichaelMurphy

You can call me 12 Gauge, and it is my pleasure MM. Boycotting corn doesn't sound too easy. That would mean I have to boycott Taco Bell. I would rather quit smoking!

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
If I may, that is, run rampent into the full conspiracey mode..

Sounds like further implementation of article 21, and the whole "thin the population" ideaology of the NWO.. /cough

Yea, Monsanto has been bad juju for a long time.

When you start flipping dna and such in plants and such, it's like playing Russian Roulette, but the effects of the bullet are not evident the moment the gun goes bang.. consider it a slow bullet that takes years to do it's damage.

[edit on 13-1-2010 by Cygnis]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
There are lists avaialble to help you pick non GMO stuff when you shop. Corn and soy and canolla are the worst. That stuff is truly dangerous.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
But.. but they've just been named company of the year:

www.ksdk.com...

You realy can't make this stuff up - anyone who's seen the excellent (and multi-award winning) film 'The Corporation' knows about certain aspects of Monsanto and the news certainly isn't good.

Journalists Jane Akre and Steve Wilson were fired by the Fox News television station they work for after refusing to change their investigative report on Posilac, a Bovine Growth Hormone (BGH) made by Monsanto. Their research documents potential health and safety problems of drinking milk treated with the synthetic hormone, but threatened with legal action from Monsanto, Fox wants the negative effects played down. The court eventually throws out Akre's whistle blower lawsuit after deciding that the media is allowed to lie.

Cheers.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I recomend that you check out the web site bellow regarding G D Searle ( Bought by Monsanto in 1985). It contains the history of Aspartame from 1964. Some of the happenings around this company are unbelieveable, they are corupt to the core.

www.holisticmed.com...

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
This is Shelly Roche from ByteStyle.TV. She has some info to share on how to avoid GMOs. Her information is very helpful and she isn't hard to look at.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join