It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Islamophobia? Try 'Infidelophobia'!!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majiq
Wow... That is a lot of dead people. That would surely rival those killed in the name of religion. By the way, I never limited it to Christians, but here goes..

Native American Holocaust - 100m

American Slave Trade - 15 to 20m

Thirty Years War - 7m

Genocide in Rwanda and Darfur - 1.2m

The An Shi Rebellion - 36m

I could keep going and going with death tolls accumulated under the rule of religious people. I guess for a more accurate depiction of what we are trying to get at we should compare the numbers killed "in the name of"

Stating merely genocide means:

"Main Entry: geno·cide
: the deliberate and systematic destruction of a racial, political, or cultural group" - www.merriam-webster.com...

Religion is nowhere in in this definition.

Thank you for posting numbers, but I asked how many were killed by Christians. Can you provide this number please?

[edit on 14-1-2010 by saint4God]

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by saint4God

Stating merely genocide means:

"Main Entry: geno·cide
: the deliberate and systematic destruction of a racial, political, or cultural group" - www.merriam-webster.com...

Religion is nowhere in in this definition.

Thank you for posting numbers, but I asked how many were killed by Christians. Can you provide this number please?

First of all, you keep saying Christians like I at some point singled them out. My opinions are about religion, not just one particular cult.

Moving on, I am well aware of the definition of genocide. What I provided were comparative incidents. I agree that in most of my references religion played little or no part with the exception of the 30 years war, just as atheism played no role in those that you gave reference to. However, the leader in my references were all religious people. Had you fully read my post you would have noticed at the bottom where I stated what we should do is compare numbers killed "in the name of"

Playing along for a moment however, lets use your numbers, and pretend that they were all killed to defend Atheism. I can eclipse them all with just one link to religion's big winner when it comes to killing in the name of; Islam

Now if you can get your numbers that high I will start on Christianity's atrocities, the Hindus, the primitive tribes of Africa & Latin America etc...

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   

I agree that in most of my references religion played little or no part with the exception of the 30 years war,

On this part we can mostly agree, again with my asking of how many Christians murdered others in those battles. When you use the blanket statement "religion" you've included Christianity. Unless you'd like to say "all religions except Christianity" then it's easy to discredit the statement by finding only one exception to the rule.

just as atheism played no role in those that you gave reference to.

Not so when history is recited for Stalin. The others may be arguably so, but not in his case.

"Stalin's role in the fortunes of the Russian Orthodox Church is complex. Continuous persecution in the 1930s resulted in its near-extinction as a public institution: by 1939, active parishes numbered in the low hundreds (down from 54,000 in 1917), many churches had been leveled, and tens of thousands of priests, monks and nuns were persecuted and killed. Over 100,000 were shot during the purges of 1937–1938.

Just days before Stalin's death, certain religious sects were outlawed and persecuted. Many religions popular in the ethnic regions of the Soviet Union including the Roman Catholic Church, Uniats, Baptists, Islam, Buddhism, Judaism, etc. underwent ordeals similar to the Orthodox churches in other parts: thousands of monks were persecuted, and hundreds of churches, synagogues, mosques, temples, sacred monuments, monasteries and other religious buildings were razed." - en.wikipedia.org...

Is this not an athiestic movement? What motivation do you suggest as to why Stalin would do this?

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by saint4God

I will give you Stalin. While his actions were not so much a result of him being atheist as they were him being mentally unstable. The fact remains though that he was atheist, and his paranoid delusions lead him to believe that anyone who thought differently than him was out to get him.

Still, the vast majority of his killing were not religiously motivated, but let's forget that for a minute. Let us count all of his murders, and go with your number of 43m (the more commonly accepted number is about 20m) That still leaves you quite short of the mark of the total people killed in the name of religion.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Actually the argument that religion has caused more deaths is flawed. Religion was always just the excuse used by those in power to press their claims for more land, money, and power. It is the tool used by the wealthy elite to get the masses to go murder others so that those same wealthy elite can expand their control. The religion, in and of itsself is always just the cover up adding legitimacy to the war, just as "terrorism" or "freedom" and "democracy" are the cover ups adding legitimacy to our current genocides. The fact is that 99.99 percent of all wars are about money and power. Our leaders use different words to goad us into it, but its truly naivetee to think they actually believe in these things, and to not see through the deception to the greed and ambition that drives those actions.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by pexx421

I would say that you are right about to an extent. I agree that %99.99 of wars and such are about the things that you stated, but I disagree however that religion is merely a cover-up. I personally feel that the greed, etc. that you speak of is a natural byproduct that occurs when religious faiths are allowed to be in control of populations. Does that mean that only religious leaders suffer from this? Absolutely not... Atheists are absolutely capable of being corrupt. Any person can become a tyrannical maniac, religion just gives those in control a little more a push in that direction when there level of control is not kept in check.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
eliminate religion is the answer everybody has been looking for

sometimes the answers are right in your face but you cant see it

top topics

<< 1   >>

join