It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supermassive black hole struggles to swallow Milky Way

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
physicsworld.com...

Scientists were already aware that the huge black hole at the centre of our galaxy does not consume large amounts of matter, but it could be an even pickier eater than previously thought. That is according to new research done in the US that suggests that the black hole – called Sagittarius A* – has a tendency to blow away 99.99% of the matter available for its consumption.

Supermassive black holes are awesome phenomena that are believed to exist at the centre of most, if not all, galaxies. They are hundreds of thousands to billions of solar masses and expand by feeding on dust that is blown off massive young stars just outside the black hole's event horizon – the zone beyond which not even light can escape.

In the Milky Way, these neighbouring stars are located a relatively large distance away from the black hole mass. For this reason, scientists had calculated that Sagittarius A* should consume only about 1% of the available dust. But now a team of astronomers, including Roman Shcherbakov of Harvard University, claims that it is consuming much less than that.

A New understanding of Black Holes?

This is very interesting and takes away the thought process of black holes swallowing everything they can get a hold of. I am happy we are able to see these kind of things and try to truly understand what is going on, because as all scientists know seeing and making predictions are different things.

Any thoughts on this subject?

Pred...

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I think its getting full
I hope it doesnt pop...

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
This is certainly interesting and makes me wonder what else we will come to understand about these massive black holes. If we can come to understand more about the super massive ones is there a chance we could come to learn more about the regular ones just as well. Only time will tell I suppose and either way I'd welcome the new information so long as it's as accurate as possible.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Well, so much for the doom and gloom idea that we're going to be sucked into a massive blackhole and crushed to mush in 2012.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Gigantea Rosa

I agree completely, we need to think of science of something that is evolving as well. What we know can be completely turned on its head. It is important for people to look outside of the box and think of things in new and different ways.

When we finally start doing this we will see what is possible. The only thing holding us back is ourselves...

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

Everything seems to be doom and gloom. Look at all the amazing things we are doing at this moment in science. I guess it is up to the person that interprets the information to decide to be optimistic or pessimistic.

I choose optimistic and I think I always will.

Pred...

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
That Black hole is taking the matter it needs from our universe to start its own

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Seems blackholes are like the spots in the yin yang symbol, when looking at galaxies as a whole..

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

Well, this is a bit off topic,predator, but I have to say that I am not under the illusion that allis well. However, I have to laugh at some of the doom and gloom stuff that people are propagating.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
The idea behind this is that our black hole is of a sufficient age that it doesn't seem to consume so much matter. Younger black holes consume a great deal of matter and are easy to spot in the universe. It's the older ones that've run out of matter to consume that are the scary ones.

Super awesome photo of our nearest super massive matter monster

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:47 AM
link   
all the conjectures about what is occurring near a "black hole" is stupid; "science" does not know if "something" is coming or going to determine either way.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Proof that a black hole will not swallow the milky way.

Good.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Jeesh. There has not even been proven there exists such a thing as a black hole.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Ausar

Conjecture is not stupid, it's how science works. Conjecture/hypothesis, then see if the evidence gathered supports said conjecture/hypothesis.

Without conjecture you don't get questions answered. Now if you want to talk about degrees of conjecture, then you're on to something...

It's an interesting theory, let's see if they, the scientists, can find evidence to support.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by above

Well I have to say there has been in equations and in evidence. Hawking has worked on them for many years along with a lot of great scientists.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth

Well, this is a bit off topic,predator, but I have to say that I am not under the illusion that allis well. However, I have to laugh at some of the doom and gloom stuff that people are propagating.

I'm not saying everything is well, but I think as science advances and we proceed into a new era of understanding we will begin to think differently. Maybe this will be our "awakening" in how much we are advancing as of lately.

Maybe people will start to focus on education and bettering themselves and the world than they will on the almighty dollar. But hey maybe that's why I am an optimist.

Pred...

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187
Maybe people will start to focus on education and bettering themselves and the world than they will on the almighty dollar. But hey maybe that's why I am an optimist.

Pred...

Well, that would be nice. Yeah, that is AWFULLY optimisitic!!
Don't hold your breath.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
i agree with the poster 2 posts after my own.

there is no proof that what is being seen is not actually creating "mass" let alone being a hole for mass to enter.so it looks black from "observation" thats the only "conjecture" that could hold as being "true".the comment about hawking and other inflated scientific egos is supportive of the "conjecture" that there is such a thing as "black holes"; interpreted within the frame of someones theory supported by same persons "math".

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
aight, I've had enough.

Just because this " hole" at the center of the galaxy is stealing matter ...... do we automaticaly have to assume that it's black ??

there is no race in space I say .

people also assume these are portals to other dimensions, ... are they merely superconcentrated matter ?? which was the only thing in existance before the big bang.

they are simply the universe pulling itself back together. The heave and hoe of creation.

the end is the beginning.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187

Supermassive black holes are awesome phenomena that are believed to exist at the centre of most, if not all, galaxies.

'...that are believed to exist...'

this says it all, they don't even have a proof they exist...

there are universe models, like electric/plasma universe model, that explain everything without black holes or dark matter...

[edit on 12-1-2010 by donhuangenaro]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join