It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reid apologizes for "Negro dialect" comment

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   

One of the enduring mysteries of the 2008 campaign was what got Ted Kennedy so mad at Bill Clinton. The former president's entreaties, at some point, backfired, and the explanation has never quite emerged.

I've finally gotten my hands on a copy of Game Change, in which John Heliemann and Mark Halperin report:

[A]s Hillary bungled Caroline, Bill’s handling of Ted was even worse. The day after Iowa, he phoned Kennedy and pressed for an endorsement, making the case for his wife. But Bill then went on, belittling Obama in a manner that deeply offended Kennedy. Recounting the conversation later to a friend, Teddy fumed that Clinton had said, A few years ago, this guy would have been getting us coffee.

www.politico.com...
I am no fan of Obama , but this sucks actually.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada described in private then-Sen. Barack Obama as "light skinned" and "with no Negro dialect, unless he wanted to have one."

So what about Hillary,

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 073131p://bSaturday2010 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I can't stand Harry Reid. Add to it that I voted for Obama.

But...(and you knew there was one right!?), I can't count how many times I heard many, many, many of my liberal friends as well as my conservative family members saying similar things.

People say stupid things and make gross generalizations all of the time, particularly in Washington.

The reality is that people, marketers, campaign managers, political analysts and corporate America in general assess this type of image information all of the time, for better or worse.

Let's don't all be hypocrites.

[edit on 9/1/2010 by kosmicjack]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by CuriousSkeptic
Just for those of you that are confused... most black people like to be called by their name instead of "African-American" "Negro" "Black"

Just an FYI.

[edit on 9-1-2010 by CuriousSkeptic]

Best comment Ive 'seen on this thread. Cuts right through all the BS.

I have never known the word negro to be used in a defamatory fashion, that's just my experience. It's a rare day I intentionally try to make people uncomfortable but your comments have shed some light on this for me and I will NOT use that term anymore. Thank you for helping me to understand this issue better. Your respected foe,
ATA
For what it's worth if I have offended anyone on this thread you have my apologies, I'm here to deny my own ignorance which is a lifelong endeavor.

[edit on 9-1-2010 by Asktheanimals]

[edit on 9-1-2010 by Asktheanimals]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Yes most people like to be called by their name...i don't walk up to a friend and say hi white friend. But it seems he was using negro in a broader sense. I don't understand the african american term really...white people are white and black people are black. No it doesn't matter but when talking about different races it does. Reid is a complete arse at the end of the day. I don't know how anyone can stand him.

[edit on 9-1-2010 by Solomons]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Anyone who said/says that the messiah is "well spoken" were saying the exact same thing.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Here in Detroit the "N-word" is normal cultural vernacular, it is implied with all the same intentions as Dude.

So Reid using this term doesn't offend me, nor does it to me require an apology. I get tired of that bs PC crap every so often.

As far as the census record goes, who cares? As far as I am concerned they could put the "N-Word" on the page and replace Negro.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Reply to post by Asktheanimals

When that Nigerian guy pulled his flaming underpants stunt the new was interviewing people who witnessed it.

Nearly every last one of them called the Nigerian guy "African American".

Too funny.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Just thought id point out he was from Yemen not Nigeria. Nigeria doesn't have the same problem with Muslim extremists actually a nice country to visit as long as you don't get involved in the politics in the north.They are becoming a major player in the world market.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by dragonridr

Just thought id point out he was from Yemen not Nigeria. Nigeria doesn't have the same problem with Muslim extremists actually a nice country to visit as long as you don't get involved in the politics in the north.They are becoming a major player in the world market.

Born in Nigeria, militarized in Yemen. But that's not really the subject.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
If Reid was smart, he would use this incident to retire from the Senate. That would save himself the embarrassment of getting destroyed in his 2010 re-election bid.

Anybody track down Trent Lott for his comments? Lott lost his Senate Majority leader position for alot less than this. Double standard? Of course it is.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

If Reid was smart, he would use this incident to retire from the Senate. That would save himself the embarrassment of getting destroyed in his 2010 re-election bid.

Why? Everyone used to say the same exact thing about Gen. Colin Powell. I really don't see the difference or the offence.

It's not like he said "That (censored) got game bitches! Can I get a what what? B Dog is my man! (thumps chest)"

And all this time I was confused that we had freedom of speech in this country. Oh was I wrong. I guess we only have selective freedom of speech.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Ask Trent Lott about his freedom of speech. Does being a Democrat get you more protections in that area?

This is not about Reid being a dumbasterick, it's about him getting away with something his predecessor did not.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

Trent Lott was a complete bigot. One who voted against the civil rights act and was a flagrant homophobe. That yahoo even for some god knows reason voted for Strom Thurmand. This country would look a whole lot different had Trent Lott had his way.

Saying something stupid, and doing something stupid are two completely different things.

[edit on 1/10/2010 by whatukno]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno

Trent Lott was a complete bigot.

OK let's say Lott was a bigot. He had the decency to give up the Senate Majority spot. Will Harry Reid do the same? Or do we just hold Republicans to a higher (double) standard?

I wonder what Democrat Robert (KKK) Byrd thinks about all of this? Does he even has the capacity to think anymore?

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by gandhi

Yes, in this world white is right. You can deny it all you want, but the white is right mentality and most of all, white privilege, extend beyond our borders. I believe many of you are simply looking at my words and not pondering other possible contexts. When I say "white is right", I am not advocating racism, bigotry, supremacy etc. What I'm acknowledging is that Eurocentrism exists, that status quo is a white power structure and that these things work hand in hand to promote the ideaology that "white" is what one should strive to be in this world and that "white" is the "right" thing to be in this world if you want to get ahead or be accepted.

In closing, you said it was either a joke or the comment was completely ignorant (or something like that), yet you actually closed the door without pondering other possibilities. Next time, before speaking in haste, exposing your own ignorance and shutting yourself out, I suggest you ask in what context a statement has been made and what the author/poster is trying to convey.

[edit on 10-1-2010 by EMPIRE]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
why is he apologizing? this is what America is becoming. Really when describing black peoples dialects (which I'd say 75 % have) what other words are you going to use? African American?? I guess that would work if Obama was from Africa. This kind of reminds me of when Colin Powell said there was still racism in America. Hate to break it to you Colin but the main source of racism comes from black people. I can remember getting called a "CRACKA" in high school and the teacher did nothing about it, had I dropped the "NIGGER" bomb I would have been expelled and most likely jumped. ARRRRRRRR RABLE RABLE RABLE and both races separate themselves anyway because skin color is a culture.

case in point, I try and use the actual "N" bomb and ATS censors it. Grow a pair ATS

here are some things that if reversed would be considered racist

BET (CMT)
NAACP (KKK)
Rap music droppin the Nigga bomb (the only white man to succeed in saying nigga in a song was Bob Dylan)
Obama (McCain)
[edit on 10-1-2010 by kyle43]

[edit on 10-1-2010 by kyle43]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Harry Reid was so sorry, it took him over a year to say he was sorry.

THAT is pretty sorry.

Is he fooling anybody? He isn't fooling me.

He's based in Nevada, right? Assuming I'm correct, we'll have to leave it to the people of Nevada to decide what to do with him. because he obviously doesn't want to go away gracefully.

When our voted officials pull this left field stuff (and I do mean left field and not left wing), why do both parties kick the Republicans out but both parties let the Democrats "sorry" it away???

We need a third party but more then that, we NEED term limits on all of our elected officials.

But again, we can invoke our own term limits when we vote.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Far be it from me to give a hoot what a culture, skin color, or race wants to be known as, but when that race and culture dictate it for us, HOW THE HELL CAN WE BLAST PEOPLE FOR USING IT!!!!!

Here is my point.

Many blacks hate being called African-Americans, yet: They proudly have African-American named organizations (i.e. African-American Student Leadership Counsil, AA National Museum, AA Womens Leadership Counsil, and HUNDREDS more)

Many blacks hate being called just that, black, yet: They celebrate BLACK history month, have their own BLACK colleges, BLACK organizations (i.e. Black Justice Coalition, Black Caucas Associations, and HUNDREDS more)

Many blacks hate being called negro or say they despise the word, yet: They have the United Negro College Fund, Negro League Baseball, Etc...

Many blacks hate the word 'n-word' and all it stands for, yet: EVERYDAY that word is used and said MILLIONS of times in songs, on street corners, and in casual conversation.

Bottom line is this. The black, african-american,negro community continues keeping the walls of racism built on their own. Are there some individuals that still hate blacks, sure....are there some small faction groups that still hate the black culture, yes....but to still be walking on eggshells about select words used by someone is pathetc, especially considering the amount of OPEN racism that strives from your own people. As always...if blacks want to get pissed at a white guy for a few choice words, but NEVER address their openly racist fellow black man or black organization....then as far as I am concerned, you get zero sympathy from me.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by kyle43

You speak as an idiot:

why is he apologizing? this is what America is becoming. Really when describing black peoples dialects (which I'd say 75 % have) what other words are you going to use? African American??

Do you even know what dialect is? If so describe it, and then tell me how you arrived at the 75% figure. Do you have any evidence to support the claim?

I guess that would work if Obama was from Africa.

Where was his father from?

This kind of reminds me of when Colin Powell said there was still racism in America.

There is, a whole lot of it, and with Obama being in office a lot of the gloves are coming off and people are exposing themselves.

Hate to break it to you Colin but the main source of racism comes from black people.

ROFL! History doesn't prove that, friend.

I can remember getting called a "CRACKA" in high school and the teacher did nothing about it, had I dropped the "'n-word'" bomb I would have been expelled and most likely jumped.

So how does this prove blacks are the main source of racism? In your case, based on what you stated, it would mean blacks were the main source of bigotry, discrimination and prejudice in your life. However, this is your life and your life does not reflect the truth. Moreover, stop using the terms racist and racism out of context.

ARRRRRRRR RABLE RABLE RABLE and both races separate themselves anyway because skin color is a culture.

Why don't you elaborate on this a bit. What do you mean by "both races separate themselves anyway because skin color is a culture"?

case in point, I try and use the actual "N" bomb and ATS censors it. Grow a pair ATS

HUH?
Grow up man.

BET (CMT) NAACP (KKK) Rap music droppin the Nigga bomb (the only white man to succeed in saying nigga in a song was Bob Dylan)

HUH?

[edit on 10-1-2010 by EMPIRE]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by yadda333
They do study African American Vernacular English in linguistics. It is a variety of Standard English and varies from region to region.

this is true and using the term "negro dialect" while antiquated is still an accurate way to describe African-American speech patterns (phonemes, syntax etc.) in a very well documented if poorly understood or received variation - or dialect of American English. jeez Eminem uses it and half the time Justin Timberlake does too, just to be other than the kids they are.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by EMPIRE
More proof that in this world, WHITE IS RIGHT.

your kidding right? People like you make white people look bad.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join