It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's Colder In America, Than At Both Poles!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   
i'v never had weather like this in my 18 years on ths rock we call earth but i bet al gore's got a bit of a sweat on at the moment. probably wiping the sweat of his brow with a big wad of dollar bills as we speak.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Whether Global Warming exists or not does not matter, what does matter is if we should do something about it now just in case it DOES exist. Would it be better to try an prevent it from happening just in case, or just say screw it and wait an see? So lets see here, prevention or laziness?

hmm, the pros of prevention would of course be saving an insane number of lives and possibly our planet, not to shabby. The cons, it would cost us money and "inconvenience" us, boohoo its just paper and most of us could probably use the excercise from walking or riding a bike.

The pros of not doing anything? well.. we uhh.. we wouldnt have to do anything i guess, thats nice. The cons? Most of the human population dies.. hmmm.. wow tough choice there.. wake up people..

[edit on 10-1-2010 by kraig87]

[edit on 10-1-2010 by kraig87]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by kraig87

If climate change is real then i think were a bit late for prevention. However we could do what humans have done from the begining and adapt. your right tho i could do with a bike ride once in a while , When i get older and the metabolisim fails all that kfc is coming back ten fold.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by kraig87

Agreed. Climate change is happening right in front of our eyes. We can argue till we are blue in the face about who or what is causing it. Whatever - I don't think turning our heating down a notch or paying a few carbon taxes will stop it.
What we need are changes in the infrastructure as well as lifestyle, to help us adapt to and cope with the practicalities, whether it's ice, flooding, drought, whatever.

[edit on 10-1-2010 by unicorn1]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
So a little winter weather makes ye americans scared?

I'm not familiar with your Fahrenheit system, so I'm using google to translate from celsius to fahrenheit.
So, -30F is considered freezing? (-30 degrees Fahrenheit = -34.4444444 degrees Celsius) Too bad. I've been in a -44F weather more than once, and it's not too bad. It's not even that cold if you wear the right clothing. And before the "maybe it's colder in the summer" comments; It's easily 30celsius in summers, that is 86F according to google, so, I wouldn't think that to be "cold". Well, okay, I grant you guys that if you live near the coast, -30F can be real pain. But in the inland where the air doesn't feel the same? -30 shouldn't be too tough. Our ancestors survived a little chilly weathers, why couldn't we? Please people, aim your worries at more important matters. Hey, I have an idea. Let's talk about world politics and such, oh, recycling the old topic? Too bad, well, at least I gave it a try.

Seriously though, I'm not saying you shouldn't be worried about weather. I'm just asking is it really "THAT" bad when the weather gets a little bit chilly?

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ThichHeaded

I don't care what you call it. I live in central FL and having slush on the roads isn't normal. The poor bird almost broke his beak trying to get through the ice on the bird bath just to get a drink. Talk about HARD water! He looks confused.
I would like to hear the cockamamie explanation that says this is part of Global Whatever.

Its Solar Climate Change either that or we need lots more cows farting like crazy. I would bet on the sun spots before the cows - they're too cold to fart today!

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
It reached 4 degrees Celcius where I am in Alberta. It was sooo warm.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Klavier

The proper formula for conversion-

Tc = (5/9)*(Tf-32); Tc = temperature in degrees Celsius, Tf = temperature in degrees Fahrenheit

Tf = (9/5)*Tc+32; Tc = temperature in degrees Celsius, Tf = temperature in degrees Fahrenheit

Freezing of water is 32 F and 0 C

-30 Fahrenheit therefore is -34.4 C

Just to get you to the right point.

Growing up in Wisconsin I have seen -45 F or -42.7

Once you get to the lower temps, Celcius and Fahrenheit get pretty close together.

It is all relative though, when one is use to cold temps one can put up with them. The lack of summer this year though is more indicative to the problems then this winter so far. There was barely any summer this year.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
How did the Illuminati and Gore do that.
Those buggers.
They are melting the poles and glaciers just to get a carbon tax
and more money for carbon based fuel while hiding all the Tesla's
technology.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainIraq

And for you who are pointing fingers at the scientists who supposedly have something to gain from proving Global Warming/Climate Change: Do you really think they have more to gain from proving it than oil/coal companies have to gain from trying to disprove it? And who has more resources to do so?

Yes, their careers and funding are at stake. Everyone has their price. Some come cheap. The controllers and the oil companies are one in the same. The politicians owned by the oil companies are the same that are pushing the green agenda. You will pay more for oil and coal while funding their, not our, transition to the next fuel sources. They will make money and concentrate power from both ends. No opportunity is lost. No one has more resources to divide and conquer.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 05:19 AM
link   
I don't remember such winter in the lat twenty years here in Poland. Everything is freezing and the snow stand for month. Usually we have two weeks of snow during winter here in Gdansk and the coldest part of the winter is just going to began.

Today I heard that snow fall in Seville (Spain) for first time in a period of last fifty year.

Personally I don't believe in Global Warming at all. I believe that we are facing new ice age rather.

Btw. Celsius and Fahrenheit. However Gabriel Fahrenheit was born here in Gdansk we use Celsius degree.

[edit on 11-1-2010 by odyseusz]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by whoshotJR

Good thing this is exactly what will happen with global warming/climate change. Your summers will be hotter and your winters get colder but your overall average for the year will continue to rise.

The added melt off from glaciers will mix with the currents and mess up the way the water flows and goes from cold to warm. This will have a major change to the weather and plunge us into a mini ice age as we see average temps drop.

Please note people, when debating with any true believer of ANY religion- there is nothing that can , and I mean NOTHING, that will ever dissuade them from their cause- this is no differnt with the AGWers

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by blueorder

I would like to point ALL acolytes to this thread, it is very relevant to the statement made by this comment-

The Church of Climatology

Star for you blueorder!

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe
reply to post by blueorder

I would like to point ALL acolytes to this thread, it is very relevant to the statement made by this comment-

The Church of Climatology

Star for you blueorder!

Life isn't that complicated even to Jesus.
People have a way to over complicate things.
Or pull things out of a hat that shouldn't be there.
The climate is in good hands and no one has taken it out of Gods.
Unless you believe the hooey about HAARP and weather control.
Which we haven't seen it yet.
Perhaps Jesse Ventura might shut the HAARP down after exposing
it as a fraud.
Lets all hope so.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr_skepticc

Where is Al Gore and his global warming when you need him?

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
look i used to live in Wisconsin when i was in my teens i have seen 50 below weather there it happens no big deal i remember leaving for christmas break 1 year to carolinas it was negative 20 in Minneapolis when i got to ohate in shi town they grounded the flights forthe rest of day because ice was fprming on wings there when i finally landed at rdu international it was 20 degrees in after noon i was running around in a t shirt wasn't slightest bit cold. and antartic 19 dgrees farenhet wow its really warm there oh wait thats not global warming its summer there why wouldn't it be warmer.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   

If you think the cold sucks you are definitaly in the wrong state. Here in Jacksonville, Florida it is 32 and on the weather they are telling parents how to dress their kids adequately and what to do when it reaches 32. I have not seen kids leaving their house to play and very few people go jogging unless they are dressed like it is Fargo. People start wearing Alaska sweaters at 50! I personally love the cold as long as my skin is not exposed(except face and ears) I can tolerate the cold very well. The other night I walked outside and it was 19 and I wore a pair of jeans, socks and shoes, a t-shirt, and a light sweater and I was walking around and was quite warm, I even considered taking off the sweater. I have to say this is the coldest I have every felt in my life being born and raised here but can't wait to get out of 'God's waiting room' because of the weather and that in the local newspaper there is literally only 4 or 5 jobs in a city of 810,000 people!

Thing is, we're simply not prepared for this kind of cold here.

For example, if I wanted to go buy a thick coat or gloves right now, I'd be hard-pressed to find them. Stores simply don't carry them here (FL)... I'm like you, with no wind, I don't need much, but our wind lately has been nasty...and even cuts through you with jeans... I swear, if I could have found them at the store, I would have bought long johns!!! (I even checked sporting goods)....

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by kraig87
Whether Global Warming exists or not does not matter, what does matter is if we should do something about it now just in case it DOES exist.

Suppose someone has a low blood pressure, should we give them a heart transplant. Suppose the baby has a fever, should we put him in a blanket just in case we are wrong. He might get cold. Right now, its a record breaking cold snap. Temperatures have been dropping for a while. How long do they have to drop before you realize heat is NOT a problem? We do have SOLAR heating and cooling, but we can't really control it. I would vote for a sunspot storm this week, but we can't "cloud seed" one. Water Vapor is the largest greenhouse gas, not CO2. CO2 increase preceeded global warming by hundreds of years. Check that out a the NOAA website. The facts don't support global warming.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
South Pole Records Warmest Temperature on Record
www.wunderground.com...
By Christopher C. Burt
Published: 9:14 PM GMT on December 29, 2011

On Christmas Day, December 25th, the temperature at the Amundsen-Scott South Pole site soared to an all-time record high of 9.9°F (-12.3°C) eclipsing the former record of 7.5°F (-13.6°C) set on December 27, 1978. The low temperature on December 25th was a mild (relatively!) 4°F (-15.5°C). Records at the site began in January 1957. Its elevation is 9,301 feet (2,835 meters).
www.wunderground.com...

Balmy, eh?

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Love how the FOX "experts" randomly apply wind chill to US locations, while not doing so at the north pole

You really have to be looking for comedy if you get science news (any news really) from that comedy channel

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join