It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's Colder In America, Than At Both Poles!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr_skepticc

I cannot believe the stupidity on this site - it is SUMMER in the southern hemisphere right now, and therefor WINTER in the northern hemisphere.

If you cannot even comprehend this basic fact of science you are in no way qualified to speak about far more complex climate patterns and trends.

I hope this had already been pointed out, or you are being sarcastic because this is truly a scary and shocking level of intelligence.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alien Mind
These people act as if they wanted the world to freeze over or it to end.

I think some just need to turn off the "All Armageddon - All the Time" television channels. I would think the weather is one thing we can all figure out on our own, without having to be told what to think.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I saw that as well. Europe and many areas in the US have got abnormally cold, while areas in northern Canada that are usually around minus 35 celcius at this period have moderate climate, with fields of grass and warm soil at some places and lakes still unfrozen. Freak weather events usually don't last for more than 2-3 days, and here it's been lasting for like 2 weeks!

Looks like polar shift is happening after all...

Here's what scientists found out in 2008:
news.nationalgeographic.com...

And now...
(link)
Scientists discover that north magnetic poles are now moving towards Russia, at 64 kilometers per year!!!

Here's a fascinating analysis of the link between a weaking of the geomagnetic field and polar shift (or reversal):

scienceblogs.com...

Forget about global warming... this is the real deal! The poles ARE moving (and really fast!) and we now begin to see the effects.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Its SUMMER time in the South Pole, this is why.

UK News stated yesterday that parts of England are also colder than the South Pole. But, sure...just like Australia, it is the SUMMER time in the South Pole.

South Pole gets warmer this time of year.
UK gets colder this time of year.

Its all normal.

Temperature fluctuation?
Or just normality?

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I'm way up in Canada and it's way warmer than down the states right now, this has been our warmest winter on record. Its sitting at about 0C/32F right now at it's early morning. I've lived here nearly 20 years and we've never had no snow in January. It's weird as hell wearing a spring jacket when it should be ball freezing cold with 6 feet of snow.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrlondon

I cannot believe the stupidity on this site - it is SUMMER in the southern hemisphere right now, and therefor WINTER in the northern hemisphere.

If you cannot even comprehend this basic fact of science you are in no way qualified to speak about far more complex climate patterns and trends.

I hope this had already been pointed out, or you are being sarcastic because this is truly a scary and shocking level of intelligence.

Or course it's summer in the south pole right now, but are these temperatures normal for the coldest place on the Earth?

Moreover it IS warming up in northern Canada, and actually WARMER than in many areas in the US. They actually have above zero celcius temperatures when they usually have minus 40 degrees at this time of the year! How does your elite science explains that? With man-made global warming I suppose?

If you've got a problem with this site, then you I don't think I need to show you the exit door with a big "Feck off!"... Or perhaps you could work with us on improving the level of knowledge and intelligence rather than insulting ATSers for the omissions of the few?

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I am happily wearing my flannel jammie bottoms - sweatshirt - and UGG boots in the middle of the Sonora Desert.

Of course I realize me "feeling" cold is in direct relation to my acclimation of mostly warm local temps - which took me about 5 years to get used to. 70F for me is cold. Right now it is 58F.

All you in freezing conditions can have sympathy for me when we have a record breaking summer. Highest recorded so far 124F.

So STAY WARM - - - from the Sunniest Place on Earth - according to the Guinness Book of Records.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by the_denv
Its SUMMER time in the South Pole, this is why.

UK News stated yesterday that parts of England are also colder than the South Pole. But, sure...just like Australia, it is the SUMMER time in the South Pole.

South Pole gets warmer this time of year.
UK gets colder this time of year.

Its all normal.

Temperature fluctuation?
Or just normality?

the_Denv, "Summer time" in the South pole doesn't that mean it's normal to have warm weather there... The summer in the South pole is usually very cold by our standards. There IS a weather anomaly going on at least in Europe, North America, the northern artic circle and apprearantly in Australia as reported by the other folks on this thread. If you can't see that, perhaps it's because the glasses of your avatar need some major cleaning...

[edit on 9/1/10 by Echtelion]

[edit on 9/1/10 by Echtelion]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by tauristercus
reply to post by DeathShield

You guys should all move to sunny Adelaide, South Australia to take the chill out of your bones ... it's 5:30pm and the temp has started to drop ... it's currently dropped from 41c earlier in the day, down to 40c

[edit on 9/1/10 by tauristercus]

I'm not impressed. It's summer down there. Take a look at winter in Los Angeles Calif. High for today 76F and expected low tonight 52F.
The state may be overrun with illegal aliens, corrupt and bankrupt but the weather is fine.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Well considering that an hour from the coast roughly in BC, Canada, its 2 C, or 35.6. plus, and in the southern interior, the Okanagan its plus 1, so its 33.8. Normally it would range around -3--12 C briefly in Jan-Feb, so a range of 26.6 F-10.39F, again these are plus in the F.

You guys sure get some cold weather unless you live in California and the South. I prefer southern BC's climate. This January is really warm its above freezing here, and just above freezing in the Okanagan too.

[edit on 9-1-2010 by Unity_99]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Your post makes me wonder if you really have any idea how big this place is.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Okay, where are the facts to back this up? I would love to see more, but there are no links or information that supports your statement.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I saw a poster earlier mention the mini ice age, and as I recall the last mini ice age for North America was around the Colonial and settling time (1700s). Scientists estimate that sunspot activity was at an all time low at that time, and the climate in Jacksonville, and St. Augustine FL was more similar to Washington, DC and Philadelphia is now.

We are coming off a very low cycle of sunspot activity (maybe the lowest ever) and we are supposed to be entering a very active period, but it hasn't fired up as suspected? IMO, this could be a very natural cycle of sun activity, and it could very well be a mini ice age.

That doesn't mean it won't be hot this summer in Florida, but last year we didn't have any of the middle and upper 90 degree days, it stayed in the low 90s and upper 80s (several degrees cooler than usual).

Last summer, the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic Beaches never reached the 90 degree mark that we have grown used too, but they did get some warmer ocean temperatures up the East Coast due to a weaker North Atlantic Current! (Anyone remember "The Day After Tomorrow" movie?)

So, to me, this all sounds like a natural cooling cycle due to hundreds of variables. Man-made Global warming may have had an effect, but so did the Sunspot cycles and Mother Earths natural response, so IMO we should get ready for some Colder Seasons for the next 100 years or so!!

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dirk Gently
Last night, it was 11 degrees here in the DFW region with a windchill of 5. This is ridiculous cold for Texas.

Yep, I can vouch for that one. I have a friend who is a storm chaser for several local news stations. He is from Garland and the temp right in his own back yard was 11.5 at 6:00 this morning..... Of course now it is 29 here.

[edit on 9-1-2010 by gimme_some_truth]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Freenrgy2

I hate to make generalizations, but anyone who takes Glenn Beck or (most of) Fox News seriously has something seriously wrong with them.

As for climate change...yeah there actually is science to that. In fact, I went to a maritime school last year and attended a seminar in which they were talking about getting a deal with Russia to open up shipping lanes through the Arctic region because the ice caps are shrinking every year!

If you want more information about how CO2 pollution is amplifying the greenhouse effect, check these links and read some actual science.

Climate Change and the Eco System (EPA website)

Climate Change and the Jet Stream (Weather Underground)

This, friends, is science; not the political rantings of Glenn Beck and his Minions.

And for you who are pointing fingers at the scientists who supposedly have something to gain from proving Global Warming/Climate Change: Do you really think they have more to gain from proving it than oil/coal companies have to gain from trying to disprove it? And who has more resources to do so?

I suggest you watch "Thank you for Smoking" if you want to learn how companies actually pay real scientists to make "legitimate" (but really fixed) experiments/results.

[edit on 9-1-2010 by CaptainIraq]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
What I'm finding odd is that Europe and the US is colder than normal, and here in Southern BC we are having record warm spells. Really enjoying this winter, So why is western Canada so warm?

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZombieOctopus
I'm way up in Canada and it's way warmer than down the states right now, this has been our warmest winter on record. Its sitting at about 0C/32F right now at it's early morning. I've lived here nearly 20 years and we've never had no snow in January. It's weird as hell wearing a spring jacket when it should be ball freezing cold with 6 feet of snow.

Toronto it's -11c (12f)

But the snow's just started sticking here just after Christmas. Sweeet, Sweet Green Christmas!!!! Forget the 'White Christmas'. I like it when I still see my nice green lawn, instead of shoveling snow!

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   

I live in Texas and woke up to frozen pipes and 11 degrees. I was able to thaw the pipes and have no damage (thank FSM!) but it frigging chilly.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by whoshotJR

Originally posted by DeathShield
Good thing global warming made snow and cold winters things of the past.

Good thing this is exactly what will happen with global warming/climate change. Your summers will be hotter and your winters get colder but your overall average for the year will continue to rise.

The added melt off from glaciers will mix with the currents and mess up the way the water flows and goes from cold to warm. This will have a major change to the weather and plunge us into a mini ice age as we see average temps drop.

I really like your perspective and most of what is being posted in general.

Rather, instead of an ice age, this is going to most likely round out more than a few degrees hotter than what we have normally lived with our entire lives.

Most people I hear who keep trying to debunk global warming by saying our temps right now are (apparently literally) polar, fail to grasp the long term effects of global and universal change on the whole. A system comprised of fractal systems will have many unexpected results when widespread change is immanent. Cold areas could be significantly warmer in the short term, even if a global ice age is rearing its ugly head.

In contrast, the poles are the source for the cold, and seasonal change we experience our entire lives. Now that they are rising in temperature, that lingering cold is pushed to the areas that were almost always warmer in general.

I mean, Antarctica is still pretty much frozen solid, and that cold is not just going to go away. Just like a sofa next to a refrigerator or heat lamp, even if you turn the device off, the over all environment of that area (i.e. the couch, device, and a part or all of the room, etc.) will reflect those temperature changes for even longer than your senses can detect.

Just because one spot of the couch is cold or even freezing, it doesn't mean the heat lamp isn't on or isn't going to stay on for the rest of the day. If it is a big enough couch (just use imagination here) in a big enough room, you might not even feel the heat lamp or see it, but with enough time the room will eventually be warmer than were you blowing cold air in the room or did nothing at all. Even in a portion of that room, what happens in one part, will effect change in the entire room even if it were an imperceptible difference.

Then in response to temperature change within an enclosed system (such as is in our universe and biosphere for the most part), temperatures will predictably vary in a fairly unpredictable manner. Strange weather, geologic changes, pole shifting, and anything else you could think of are what lead up to a new global and universal temperature equilibrium.

A lot of people are convinced that global warming is completely hooey. Not really, the politicized global warming agenda is, but because a lot of warmer places are colder right now, people will simply think it will stay that way for lack of knowing better.

This is refrigeration bleed off in a very basic way. If power is cut to a refrigerator, for a time after basic defrosting of the freezer there could easily be parts of the refrigerator that are indeed colder and over time the entire interior will normalize to a consistent temperature. If the door is cracked open, then you allow for long term environmental change within the refrigerator and then after all thawing has occurred, the normalized temperature will reflect that outside temperature as well and could even be rationalized into temperature zones.

Plug it back in and leave the door open, then you will find that even if the device is fundamentally the same, the environment could be significantly changed from before. Ice deposits and air flow will be affected by the outside environment and a new equilibrium will naturally develop in response to leaving the fridge door open.

Ice build up can happen even in the warmest of refrigerators should the environment prove ripe for it. With the old freezers it seemed to happen anyways and if you didn't chip or melt the ice out, eventually the build up would be so severe you couldn't close the fridge at all. This could happen even in one that is losing its freon and getting warmer over time.

Even without freon, at first parts could be quite below freezing, but in six months don't count on it. That is why we have these colder temperatures right now, the idea of an open door to the fridge symbolizes new environmental factors that are in play (or just further change over time) and once left open for long enough, the environment will just seem like it was always that way. Even if the reason is your psycho roommates constantly staring at the fridge with the door open.

If your roommate moves out, then your fridge will naturally be colder overall, even if it is barely noticeable (yet, at least you will save a few pennies on your power bill every month and have better preserved food).

The poles are never going to go back to their old temperatures and with a little more time for dispersal, these cold spells (and colder global temps in general) will more than likely be a thing of the past.

[edit on 9-1-2010 by GideonHM]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Double Post

[edit on 9-1-2010 by GideonHM]

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join