It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Labels and the BOX they put us in!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 02:46 AM
link   
You label yourself due to your actions, and when some people see themselves labeled they do not like the label they have given themselves.

Other people then see you with that label

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 02:50 AM
link   
My understanding of this labeling and boxing phenomenon was helped along by a speech given by C.S. Lewis at King's College in London in 1944. The basic gist is that people will always want to label and be labeled until they realize there is no power in a label. After I read this I never viewed people the same again. People are given the ability to choose and learn, therefore they can choose to not label others and learn new ways to think.

www.lewissociety.org...

It is a GREAT read for those truly interested in this topic. A good way to sum it up is by the last few lines of Frost's "The Road Less Traveled By"

"and I took the road less traveled by and that has made all of the difference"

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Hey! What are you, some kind of anti-labelist? You sound like a box hater. You also sound like a vowist? Before you know it you'll become a fundamentalist box hater and a conservative anti-labelist constantly ranting against all those progressive labeler's Somebody, for God's sake, save the labels!

Just kidding. We can not, none of us, go into a box without our agreement. If we are so willing to agree to enter boxes, little pink houses, and big white houses, dank and dark caves and underground tunnels, then surely we can agree to dare to soar where only eagles soar. And if we do, perhaps we'll plummet and maybe we feel safe in our little box, just like Schrodinger's cat.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Dookie Master

Are you saying C.S. Lewis wrote about this phenomena or he only gave a speech on it?

If wrote, which book, maybe I read it and it helped bring out this thread in my mind. The part of the labeling and the control sounded familiar when I was writing it. I have read thousands of books and sometimes things blend together after so much info.

Now you have me worried I inadvertently plagiarized without knowing.

I cannot recall offhand which of his books I have read now. I know several though. Now seeing the site Out of the Silent Planet, Voyage of the Dawn Treader, All of the Narnia of course, Essential C.S. Lewis and there may have been more.

Now you have my interest peaked. I cannot place any of this in my memory to his books.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Hey, Jean Paul

Have to say I was reading that tax lawyer thread a little while ago. Circular logic and nothing that legally defines income.

Standard Operating Procedure, maybe at the next Presidential townhall we could get a Constitutional Scholar to help us find the legal definition of income?

Naaah, probably not.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 03:16 AM
link   

I am saying he wrote a speech and gave it, so both. It is a bit lengthy, but not quite a book.

The link takes you to a page that has a copy of the speech he gave to a class of graduates (i think) at King's College in London 1944, titled "The Inner Ring". It is a great read and if anything I was suggesting it would support your argument.

I have read it in an anthology of English literature called "The Dolphin Reader". I do not know if it is recreated in any of his collection of written works, but I imagine it would be anthologised somewhere.

I was not suggesting that anything was plagerized.

Edit: added title

[edit on 6-1-2010 by Dookie Master]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Just kidding. We can not, none of us, go into a box without our agreement. If we are so willing to agree to enter boxes, little pink houses, and big white houses, dank and dark caves and underground tunnels, then surely we can agree to dare to soar where only eagles soar. And if we do, perhaps we'll plummet and maybe we feel safe in our little box, just like Schrodinger's cat.

C'mon enough of the analogies to live/dead kittens. There is enough paradoxes in my life as there is. I have been thinking way to damn much lately. Actually have brain fog a little. I have been racking my brains if I heard this stuff before and worrying that I plagiarized Lewis's work.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Hey, Jean Paul

Have to say I was reading that tax lawyer thread a little while ago. Circular logic and nothing that legally defines income.

Standard Operating Procedure, maybe at the next Presidential townhall we could get a Constitutional Scholar to help us find the legal definition of income?

Naaah, probably not.

I admire that Tax Lawyer's tenacity and willingness to engage. He began as they all want to begin when confronted with hard questions, but as time went on I saw what I believed to be a genuine effort to get past the labels and recognize the box he is in. Granted, I have no doubt it has been a lucrative box for him, but a box just the same. I thought of U2Uing you but figured you surely must have seen that thread and if you had something to say, you would say it.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   

reply to post by adifferentbreed

It looks like you belong in a bunch of boxes.....

I do not know what all this multiculturalism has to do with my OP, but sometimes I am a little slow on the uptake.

I am sure you feel the same way I do about labels and such.

Anyway. Keep away from those boxes, they cause paper cuts.

[edit on 1/6/2010 by endisnighe]

Quote:
So lets see, I like black music, food and have black relatives, I think gays shouls have equal rights, I don't think all muslims are terrorists, and right now we are planning a circumnavigation, to see some more of the world, before that becomes impossible........Is that multicultural enough, or do I just have atypical "white" life? I think too many people already live a multicultural life and fail to even recognize it, they only see change coming and fear it, without recognizing it's been happening for a long time.
End Quote:

Endisnigh,

If I can be of some assistance, at the risk of making an ass of myself.

I think the poster was explaining his likes, relations, ideas, beliefs, and actions seemed to him should characterize him as not being in a box within the narrow scope of this thread.

A reasonable question in a Political forum given the implications that have been floated that if a person has a gripe with the administration, they are unfairly labeled, and put in a box. Like every other American he probably has a dissenting opinion on something.

Then he asks if this is multicultural enough not to be labeled? or is this just "typical of whites", considering his previous statement.

Then he states, that this is probably the same for too many others that may not realize it.

That is a really great question. If it were answered. Please try if you understand my inarticulate explanation.

What he did not realize was that only people with your ideology, or those that don't mention one that contradicts yours, are "really" welcome here, and all others will immediately be declared by you to be in a box or boxes.

That's the problem with deceit, innocents, bystanders, and those that are misunderstood become ensnared in the tangled webs you weave.

He does not like labels or boxes, he though the was agreeing with you, and he was right. He was in agreement with you.

Please take him out of the boxes, you just had a brain fart, I swear.

Cheers

Ziggy

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 03:22 AM
link   

No, I know you weren't, but sometimes I get ideas that I swear I had heard them before. Or, it just comes so easy where my mind goes.

Do you know what I mean?

I have always been a voracious reader and I can never recall people's work unless I read the book numerous times.

I can almost recite the beginning of all the Wheel of Time books but for the life of me, C.S. Lewis I read when I was in middle school and high school and can hardly remember any of it.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by ziggystrange

Thanks ziggy for your break down. I assumed that is what he meant and I will still assume it, but thanks for your clarification.

I am still wondering why you are labeling me.

I have read through your threads again and I may have misinterpreted your intentions, I may have not.

I can see through the veil of the box you have just put me into again and will exit it.

For I am trying to learn but it seems some still do not want to teach.

What he did not realize was that only people with your ideology, or those that don't mention one that contradicts yours, are "really" welcome here, and all others will immediately be declared by you to be in a box or boxes. That's the problem with deceit, innocents, bystanders, and those that are misunderstood become ensnared in the tangled webs you weave.

No sir, I have not built the box, you have.

You are stating that I employ my web to ensnare, You miss my intentions sir, I aim to learn and to teach.

Sometimes when I do not understand I kind of ask. You know, I do not understand the Multiculturalism component, I am slow on the uptake. That is not understanding. Needed clarification.

I hate to assume because it leads to this.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Fortunately or not, I do understand exactly what you are explaining. I have a nearly photographic memory, which is a curse. I remember things from readings freshman year. I remember the books I read in middle school. I remember most things from my early childhood. I remember words like they are recorded in my head. Sometimes I find myself explaining a certain piece of literature and I think to myself "is that my thought or am I repeating something a professor taught me?" Breaking-up with a chick sucks with this kind of memory. It takes some real getting used to...

I am 29 and I can really only blur over the time that I have been intoxicated. I guess I am lucky to not have repressed memories or maybe I do, whatever.

Whatever the case may be, if you have read it or not, you did not copy his ideas. His were associated with what people would like to call themselves and the reason why they want to is because they think others will like that label, in a occupational stand-point.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jean Paul Zodeaux

C'mon enough of the analogies to live/dead kittens. There is enough paradoxes in my life as there is. I have been thinking way to damn much lately. Actually have brain fog a little. I have been racking my brains if I heard this stuff before and worrying that I plagiarized Lewis's work.

I doubt the plagiarism, you are confronting something that is universal and remember, you can't patent water... yet.

The fog will pass in my experience, it is not easy though, I'll give you that.
Sometimes I want to go all old school Janky/previous persona and blurt out the most
divisive, ban worthy phrases imaginable, just for old times sake.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Hell, I wish I had your memory with my use of logic. I was tested once and it actually scared me.

Several times since the opportunity to check have crept up but I will not take another. Like I said, I have read in the thousands of books probably nearing 10k. But alas, the words and ideas blend together.

It does make it nice to pull a book down from my wall and reread it and enjoy it almost as much as the first time.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 03:51 AM
link   

I doubt the plagiarism, you are confronting something that is universal and remember, you can't patent water... yet.

The fog will pass in my experience, it is not easy though, I'll give you that.
Sometimes I want to go all old school Janky/previous persona and blurt out the most
divisive, ban worthy phrases imaginable, just for old times sake.

You did not happen to see my one thread where I caught someone totally lying about his past and than started a thread and posted all of his comments that contradicted himself?

Got myself globally blocked for half a day until I apologized for my rash behavior. Damn was I P.O. ed. You have that explosive gene?

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 03:53 AM
link   
I think when people see me, they don't label me, especially on here!!!

Lol, a undergone apostasy of course

Especially after following you the OP on here

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 03:54 AM
link   

I got a C- in Logic in college. My professor Dr. Franz Altrichter was one of the funniest men I have ever met. It was a summer school class, I went to school at the beach. I forgot to set my alarm and he had his grad assistant call me to get me to class after he told everyone they would not be allowed to be late. It made me wish I had done better in his course because I felt like I disrespected his teaching. I did learn a little though....

I cannot really re-read a book. I find so much Deja Va in seeing the words again it kills me. I found that out the first time I tried to read "The Catcher in the Rye". I can however read books on theories more than once. A good example is "Strategy" and crazy books like "Fear and Loathing". I cannot re-read "Lord of the Rings" though, all of the original imagery is still there in my head and very clear.

I do VERY well on standardized tests as long as it requires rote memorization....

Edit: sorry, I didn't mean to Railroad the thread. I have enjoyed the enlightening reading SandF

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

Thanks you damn Repub.

I Yam what I Yam.

I actually have tempered to a soft katana now down from crystal anyway.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 04:02 AM
link   

I feel my threads are more where the conversation travels. This is not a working thread based upon any real conspiracy. More a walkthrough of our own positions or points in the bigger picture.

I enjoy wandering exploration of the mind more than the direct and linear flow of dissecting some theory.

No Problem. Go with the flow.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 04:21 AM
link   
i am who i am and thats all that i am and if i wasnt who i am then i would be who i would be. to be who i was, would mean im not what i would be. but i am who i am and that is just me

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join