It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google blocks negative search recommendations on Islam

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Google blocks negative search recommendations on Islam

www.jihadwatch.org

Try it for yourself. I just did. Report on Arrakis has the story: search for "Christianity is" at Google and a host of negative recommendations pop up:

But when you search for Islam, no negative recommendations come up -- indeed, no recommendations at all:

Go ahead, try it. I didn't believe it until I did.

Will Google next delete pro-freedom, anti-Islamic supremacism websites?
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Who knows how long these search content results will be disabled? When you type in a full search query it will return results but the dropdown will not offer any search choices. It would be great to hear some peoples opinions of what googles intentions are. Doesn't china limit their google search options as well?

www.jihadwatch.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
firstly, google cannot 'delete' websites lol

secondly, just tried it
only positive results for both searches

neither had negative results

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
firstly, google cannot 'delete' websites lol

secondly, just tried it
only positive results for both searches

neither had negative results

Maybe my google is different than yours.
I've got
Chistianity is:

bull$hit
not a religion
fake
a cult
Islam
is false
wrong
a lie
islam judaism
issues

Islam is:

There is nothing.

That does seem kind of weird. I'm unfamiliar with the process behind this but it does seem deliberate.

If I recall correctly there was a thread pertaining to this exact same thinge except it had to do with climategate not showing up as a suggestion on youtube. People were pissed!

[edit on 5-1-2010 by heyo]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Are you sure you typed "Chrisitianity is"? You have to do that for it to work. The exact same thing happened to me, this is no lie... "Islam is" didn't even come up with any results.. But "Christianity is" popped up with nothing but negatives (including the bull# one as the first response).

Also, Google isn't "deleting the website", its the auto-complete feature for the google bar. They sure can (and obviously do) censor the results on that.

Now, I'm actually a Muslim... But I still feel this is wrong. Google shouldn't be messing with things on the back end... Makes you wonder what else they do.

[edit on 5-1-2010 by seattletruth]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by heyo

Have you or anyone made those specific searches on your computer? And while the drop downs are helpful, they aren't really the search. What were the actual sites that returned on the search? Did you try typing in Islam + (something negative), and it said no websites exist?

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
okay you are talking about autocomplete.. ok
I did not put "is"

I see what you mean now

I also put judaism and nothing bad came up
however hindusim had mostly good things but one "is fake"

Seems like it's not about islam as much as it is about christianity

in any case all organized religions suck!

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Google is now a mainstream search engine. If you think you can get unfiltered searches from them now you are quite ignorant of the truth.

It's all about hits, money, advertisement, information control, and is becoming the new generation of mainstream info control such as the Cnn,abc,fox,msnbc.

Most websites now curtail their content to boost themselves up the google ranks. Greed over substance.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by DeathTribble

Google doesn't save my previous searches, so every search is the popular search at that time.
I type in Islam is, and Christianity is, and ignore the suggestions, what comes out seems to be pretty even. Descriptions of each religion and one or two sites that show each in a negative light.

The issue, I think is that there are no suggestions for islam, while all suggestions for christianity are negative. Why does this happen?

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
no it's true

look at this

thenextweb.com...

however try "muhammad is"

[edit on 5-1-2010 by ModernAcademia]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I type in "Christianity is" and get "Basic info on Christianity", "is Christianity absurd", "What is Christianity and who do Christian believe?" and "Religion of Peace? Why Christianity is and Islam isn't".

I type in "Islam is" and get "Islam (wikipedia)", "Understanding Islam and Muslims", "While Europe slept: How Radical Islam is Destroying...", "Islam: An Experience of Dialogue and Discussion" and "Islam is a dangerous religion!"

Seems pretty balanced from where I'm standing.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I just did my own test and it all depends on what strings you put into the search box to find what you are looking for. So I found both good and bad stuff on Islam.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
From Google I got, using "Islam will":

*Be destroyed

*Will Die

*Be the end of the world

*End

*Be defeated

Maybe people are searching using different word choices?

I think this can be chalked up as a case of delving too deep into nothing.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
OK... 1 more time. You people don't get it. Don't press "enter" after you type "Christianity is" or "Islam is". It's the auto-complete function that's biased.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Someone336

It's the suggestions offered by the search engine that are being censored, not the actual results. Go to the link above you. It's not even that christianity is being singled out, all religions seem to be getting a bad rap, it's that there are no suggestions for islam at all.
This has to be deliberate. There is no way that the search "Islam Is" isn't popular enough to have suggestions.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Searching jihad it say

Jihad is not terrorism
jihad is a
jihad is not a holy war
jihad is our way
jihad is not perpetual war

I would say there is something fishy going on at google search.

Its google suggest that is doing this.

[edit on 5-1-2010 by JBA2848]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Let me explain a little bit about how search engines work.

Search engines do not search the whole internet. In fact, if you use two search engines to search for the same word the results are likely to come up different. There are also several ways to change the search results by putting quotations around words or adding symbols like "+".

The company's who run these search engines can choose not to have a site come up as a result to searches. I believe Google had to censor a lot of information before being able to operating in China.

Also, company's pay to have their names come up higher on the lists of search results. For instance, if I was a bank I could pay to have my bank come up first on the list or results when somebody types in "bank" or "savings". I have been told that staying on the first page of results it's a good goal for a company.

So if this story is true Google could technically just not have any negative results when people type in the word Islam. There is nothing stating that they have to show you the whole internet; they can pick and choose as they wish.

Oh yeah, use this information to help your own research. If your looking for something it's good to try different search engines.

[edit on 5-1-2010 by Styki]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Styki

That's funny because after typing in Islam Is and hitting enter, the first one that pops up temporarily shut down due to nonpayment.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Strange, not a thing comes up at all, i tried about 8 different countries google page's aswell including Muslim nations.
Strange, but i dont really care.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Styki
Search engines do not search the whole internet.

they pretty much do
they have what is known as crawlers

Also, company's pay to have their names come up higher on the lists of search results.

Google does not allow this
only thing you can do is pay for ads on the left in yellow boxes
you cannot pay for ranking on google

So if this story is true Google could technically just not have any negative results when people type in the word Islam. There is nothing stating that they have to show you the whole internet; they can pick and choose as they wish.

There is a scripting technology known as Ajax
that's how they do this, and results are stored in a database

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join