It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LCD or Plasma? What's Your Opinion?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
We're considering getting an HDTV. We don't know a lot about either one, so I thought maybe I could get some input from ATSers who have them.

We're also lost as to which brands would be the best.

We watch mostly DVDs. No sports. And we're not interested in spending much over $1500.

ANY information you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I have heard, and only that, heard that plasma will lose its colours over time, but I don't know whether or not its true.

I have a large LCD and have absolutely no complaints with the picture quality at all. The sound that comes with the TV however, sucks in my opinion, and you might want to make that a consideration when purchasing.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by tribewilder

Thanks. We do have an auxiliary sound system.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Hi BH ...

Backlit LED is the future ... LCD is imo superior top plasma.

CNET reviews is a great place for some sound advice and comparisons.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Thanks dog. I've been looking at CNET. I'm not sure I want to buy something that's "the future". That doesn't always work out and you usually spend top dollar and the price gets cut in half in the first 6 months. ARGH! I will look into the backlit LEDs, too, though.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   

I just bought the VISIO 55' backlit Led for the man-cave ... not much more than $1500 and I have't left the room in three weeks.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
LOL That sounds pretty sweet.
I'm looking into them and it looks like the prices are expected to come down this year.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   

I bought a Visio last year and even though they are a lot less expensive than the big brands like Toshiba, Sony, etc they are quality televisions.

In my opinion the pecking order is (from best to worst) LED, LCD, Plasma.
Also, make sure you get at least a 120hz refresh rate and if you can get 240hz you'll be all the happier later

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Plasmas don't really burn out anymore, but I think LCD is better. One with as many HDMI slots are. But make sure that you can see it from an angle.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   
I know LED's are just lcd's with different backlighting, but they make a very noticable difference, and if(like me) you get stressed out when there are dark scenes in a movie but they don't look dark enough! the LED tv's give you much better results! and the colors are lovely!

I had a samsung b series led tv middle of last year, but unfortunately it broke after a week
and I had the choice of either waiting for re stock or getting an alternative, I was advised on the alternative because they had no idea how long the new stock would be so ended up with a Sony W5500 instead, which is great as far as regular lcd goes but i'd swap it in a second for the samsung, and plan to do so this year!

You can't go wrong!

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Thanks to everyone. Looks like we'll be going with an LED probably Samsung or Panasonic, depending on which one we can get here. I'm all excited!

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I'd say LCD.

After speaking to a guy at a shop before, he was very annoyed at purchasing an LED TV.... he said for the extra money, they're not worth it.

The guy was annoyed about not getting commission any more

You can get an excellent LCD for the price of an average LED...and LED is a relatively new thing... so I'd wait until the 2nd - 3rd gen before buying now.

I've also heard from a few other who where largely disappointed.

Definitely NOT a Plasma though... though for sports they do handle movement much better and black looks a lot better (whereas LCD black can look a little light) ... but they tend to lose colour pretty quickly.

But hey, it's all personal preference.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I just bought the Samsung 58in and I LOVE it!!
Here is the link for more information
www.samsung.com...

Good luck!

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
On the LEDs, what is the one with the full backlit technology (as opposed to edge-lit) called? I want to be able to check for that and I don't know what to look for...

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Yes that's right backlit means, the image is produced both by lcd and led, not that "ambient" lighting thing which is just terrible. It just makes for a higher quality picture, with much much higher contrast rations and especially with the deep black color which is always a challenge with flat-screens.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
But what is is CALLED? What do I ask for or look for on the box? I don't want edge-lit, I want __________

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
But what is is CALLED? What do I ask for or look for on the box? I don't want edge-lit, I want __________

"backlit led" ...

I think Vizio call it TruLed, Samsung, Sony, LG all have different little names for it, but it is all the same tech of led backlighting.

When you've narrowed it down, tell us the models You're thinking of and we can go through them to see if they are backlit led.

[edit on 7 Jan 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Ah... OK. I'll keep you informed.

One thing is, our TV viewing area is very small and we sit 10 to 11 feet away from the TV. So we'll probably go with a smaller TV. Probably in the 40-46" size.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Here are some we're looking at. Any input? (I'm so confused!
)

Samsung UN46B8500 46"

Visio SV472XVT 47"

Toshiba 46SV670U 46"

LG47LH90 47"

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   

VIZIO

The samsung is too expensive and the other two aren't as good imo.

Sony Bravia just announced a new series of led lcd tvs ... but they're not out yet and I expect them to be more expensive.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join