It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists say dolphins should be treated as 'non-human persons'

page: 14
<< 11  12  13   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Mythtified

Yes, dolphins do show wonderfully peaceful and supportive behavior, they also show gang behavior, assualt, murder, oh, and lets not forget, rape. They show most of the behavior of man both good and bad. If they had the physical means to adapt their environment and fully express their intelligence, we would probably have wars with them also.

Just saying, don't let the cute appearance and stories of swimmers being rescued cause you to understand their potential for harm.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

"1) If there were a serious movement to grant dolphins legal protections, for example, criminalize the killing of dolphins by levvying fines, incarceration or execution of humans who killed dolphins...would you support it?"

Yes, but the reason I would support it are not because of the recent research.

I have always believed that all of the cetacea are far more intelligent than we (humans) give them credit for. One of the primary indicators of a mammals intelligence is brain surface corrugations, of the terrestrial (land-based) life on earth, humans have the most corrugations per CC yet discovered, but many of the greater cetacea have more than us, including dolphins (lesser cetacea), orca, blue whale, sperm whale, and the humpback. I believe that the only reason we "rule the planet" is because we have the tools, means, and desire to adapt our environment and other intelligent species do not.

"2) If some number of dolphins were genetically adapted, or given technological aids...such that they could communicate verbally with humans...would your answer to #1 change?"

No

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by SuperSlovak

Actually, the Bible says that man has dominion over animals; a slight difference, I understand, but a big part of having dominion over something is the responsibility to properly care for it, whether it be animal or property.

Ask any farmer or rancher, or dog breeder, for that matter, if you don't take good care of your animals you won't be in business for very long.

Just saying

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

What!?!?!?!?! Just the last 5-10 years?

I have had pets for almost 50 years and my pets have !!always!! been part of my family. Just about every pet owner I know feels the same way.

Though I will agree that people seem to be becoming more aware of the emotional range of animals other than traditional pet species.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Its an interesting question.

If the situation were reversed and we found ourselves in the same ecosystem as a more intelligent predator with much better technology how would be want to be treated? We may find ourselves there one day.

If we survive and progress we will eventually develop a more enlightened moral code for dealing with less intelligent creatures. Of course we have to develop a universally agreed moral code for how we treat each other first. We've been gnawing on that bone for a few thousand years already.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   
[response to OP]
It's a good start.
Now, for the other 8.7 million species that share Earth ...
edit on 11/9/11 by RogerT because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I'm on a dolphin kick tonight
I love 'em. absolutely they should be classified as non-human person, plus it's time to set free all dolphins and whales at seaworld and so on. not opposed to setting free all the other animals too. a bear was never meant to wear a tutu..
edit on 13-9-2011 by dragonseeker because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 11  12  13   >>

join