It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists say dolphins should be treated as 'non-human persons'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+42 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Scientists say dolphins should be treated as 'non-human persons'

Source Timesonline.

Dolphins have been declared the world’s second most intelligent creatures after humans, with scientists suggesting they are so bright that they should be treated as “non-human persons”.

Studies into dolphin behaviour have highlighted how similar their communications are to those of humans and that they are brighter than chimpanzees. These have been backed up by anatomical research showing that dolphin brains have many key features associated with high intelligence.

The researchers argue that their work shows it is morally unacceptable to keep such intelligent animals in amusement parks or to kill them for food or by accident when fishing. Some 300,000 whales, dolphins and porpoises die in this way each year.

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 04:32 AM
link   
These creatures have always captured my heart. They seem to have genuine personalities combined with a highly developed self consciousness (contrary to dogs or cats, who seem to have personalities but have very little self consiousness). They display peaceful and supportive behavior, both toward their own species, as well as to others.
I think we still have a lot to learn from these beings, especially regarding communicating with intelligent life in other than human form. And they most certainly should not be kept in captivity or (ab)used for entertainment purposes.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   

they'll have the last laugh.

[edit on 1/4/2010 by JPhish]

+13 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   
The best thing about Dolphins is the way they taste.

+57 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Doglord

And a Great White would probably say the same about you.

[edit on 4-1-2010 by randyvs]

+20 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Mythtified

its so sad what people do to animals, and all because they think they are superior or more entitled than animals. Why? Becuz the bible says so? that is a lie. humans are no more entitled to life and space on this planet than any other animal, and its about time we started respecting other animals we share it with AS EQUALS and as having RIGHTS too. just like TREES should have rights. and all nature, since all is equal.

of course dolphins are intelligent.
octopus also should have rights and squid.
as should pigs, on the basis of intelligence,
and all sorts of monkeys and apes,
and dogs and cats,
and beavers,
and wolves,
and many other creatures,
including elephants, that demonstrate great intelligence.

actually crows are known to be more advanced tool users probably than chimps.
why dont crows have rights?
its known that parrots can do maths and talk,
but birds have no rights.

humanity frustrates me.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 04:46 AM
link   
They have the mentality of three-year old humans, so how can we discount that. The eat fish. Big deal, so do we.

How do pro-lifers feels about the fact that these species have the mentality of three-year olds?

They are non-human, of course, but does that discount that they should be treated with the respect of another intelligent species.

Do we really believe we're the final and superior life being?!

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Doglord

you eat dolphin do you?

i must tell them so they dont save you by accident if you're ever lost at sea or being chased by a great white...

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Why not train them to hunt in packs and take down emeny subs?...But then they might rebel and declare nuclear war on humans

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Doglord

You know my tuna has not been the same since they required the dolphin protective nets.

OP, I made fun of the gay marriage thing awhile back on how someone should try to get married to an animal and see if that would get struck down. I guess that is right around the corner now.

As for gay marriage, I have nothing wrong with gay unions. But marriage is the union of man and wife.

Make another category of union for gay unions. I do not know though.

Please avoid attacking me, I hate that!

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by JPhish

i love dolphins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they are so cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and happy and playful creatures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

according to zen buddhists, they must be the most spiritually advanced, becuz apparantly spiritually advanced people are often happy.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 04:53 AM
link   

i agree with you about most you say, but i have to disagree with you about cats.

i think cats do have developed self consciousness, i just think they 'hide' it well or its not easily recognised. due to their often 'icy' demeanor. cats just have a sense that humans should serve and worship them basically. (maybe its a top of ht efood chain top predator type tigre thing), and their personalities are more reserved. than playful. but i think they have just as much or more self consciousness as dogs or dolphins.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by rapunzel222
its so sad what people do to animals, and all because they think they are superior or more entitled than animals.

The findings of these scientists suggest that we should no longer classify dolphins as "animals". If they are to be regarded as genuine "persons", perhaps science should redefine "human" and "animal".

Science indicates that dolphins are second only to the human species in intelligence, but this is only as seen from the human perspective. Dolphins might consider us even below their intelligence level, and might have access to understanding and insight that we have not even begun to explore.
Their living environment is so different from ours (water in stead of air) that we cannot fathom what they are all about or why they live the way they do.

Certainly classifying them above the human intelligence would be unthinkable due to our cultural, religious and social conditioning which makes us believe that our own paradigm tops everything else.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 05:00 AM
link   
WoW these scientists are retarded.

ALL lifeforms are non-human persons.

Holy crap this is 1st grade logic here. Duh.

If anyone failed to realize that other lifeforms are non-human persons, I fail to recognize their intelligence.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost in the Machine
Why not train them to hunt in packs and take down emeny subs?...But then they might rebel and declare nuclear war on humans

Actually , you are behind the times Ghost.

The US Navy has been using Dolphins in military roles for decades.

They are trained to find underwater mines and things like this, if I remember correctly.

Look it up man its true.

+13 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   

second most intelligent creatures after humans, with scientist suggesting
they are so bright that they should be treated as “non-human persons”.

...wait, intelligence is the factor by which we decide whether to treat another living being as a person? If intelligent animals are people, does that mean that unintelligent humans are not people?

it is morally unacceptable to keep such intelligent animals in amusement parks or to kill them

...so again, by this logic...it's ok to imprison and kill stupid humans?

If you want to be nice to dolphins, I'm all for it...but I don't understand the logic that intelligence be the factor by which these decisions are made.

Whatever we, as a species decide, is probably ok, but let's consider the implications of the methods we use to reach our conclusions.

[edit on 4-1-2010 by LordBucket]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
WoW these scientists are retarded.

ALL lifeforms are non-human persons.

Holy crap this is 1st grade logic here. Duh.

If anyone failed to realize that other lifeforms are non-human persons, I fail to recognize their intelligence.

I think there is considerable difference between "person" and "personality". Most certaily one can observe personality traits in every animal. It doesn't make them a "person".

You are free to think the scientists are wrong and disagree with their conclusions, nevertheless they published their findings in a paper. An opinion that is based on a lengthy and painstaking research project that you have not been part of, yet discard as "retarded".

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doglord

LMAO! Seiously, that made my day.

We are looking at you Japan! Really though, some simple respect towards our surroundings is all thats needed. Making laws and granting rights is so last century. I am suprised it took science this long to figure out dolphins are smart since science has known we are smart for a long time... ...

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 05:46 AM
link   
No, let us not define dolphins as non-human persons, seeing as the word ‘person’ is purely related to human beings as distinct and distinguished from animals. Let us not do that with trees or armchairs, paperclips or jelly beans either.
Let us instead define scientists as ‘persons’ with absolutely no common sense, who write meaningless papers about things we already know, and then add a twist to justify the sad waste of money. Besides which, it is an insult to dolphins to in any way equate them to persons.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

That just made my day

Hardened marine dolphens trained in combat

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join