It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists say dolphins should be treated as 'non-human persons'

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   
I love Cetaceans, their mystery will reveal alot about ourselves we did not realise. They are deeply rooted into our heart, mind, souls. They allow us to stop and think hard and to look upon what we are and what we have become.

One day soon we will open our eyes and see them in their full glory, and we will see ourselves relfected back as we have never seen ourselves before, as they allways had.

And it will say, I love, with high intelligence.

Love

This is truly Home!

[edit on 6-1-2010 by DarkCyrus]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5

You mean mahi-mahi (Dolphin fish), I assume.

Nope, I mean dolphins the whale. Although Mahi is good too. I explained this back on page 11

[edit on 1/6/2010 by Doglord]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Sorry but it is true in the case of Parrots. You find me one bit of Evidence that parrots imatate other animals in the wild and i'll accept it. good luck with that one.

I dont know about ravens but there a totaly different species.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost in the Machine
Why not train them to hunt in packs and take down emeny subs?...But then they might rebel and declare nuclear war on humans

actually the US military breeds them and straps bombs to them to clear out sea mines. thats a known fact.

Im afraid PETA havent twigged on to this.

each dolphin has a strapped on camera ladened with a high charge of symtex attached to one of their fins. They are trained from birth to take directions and are used to blow up sea mines.

Pretty horrible hey?

Then again the Israelis steal human organs... I saw something on here about some supposes alien abduction case with a cornea and organs removed with lazers... hilarious no one suspected organ theft by professionals.

reality check... humans are cockroaches.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Mythtified

I mean damn its about time... yet, it will never happen. I say all life should be treated this way. lol kinda like the pho beef. Happy cows taste better!

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   

I love dolphins, taste a bit like Minke.
If they were so smart, you would think by now they wouldn't
go any where Japan.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Let's say it's true that they are smart enough for us to consider them as 'non-human persons' i really dont think we should treat them any differently, i mean lol look how we treat our selves as a society. In a functioning society we do what we do, i dont think strapping bombs to dolphins in order to detect mines is still out of the question. If anything that just makes them better suited for them job.

Besides, the military is currently trying to engineer animals to became smarter to perform tasks like defusing bombs and such already. If dolphins are already at this level then there's still not going to be any change to how we treat them morally.

There's nothing to be gained from considering them 'persons' because we can't actually 'talk' with them in any sort of basic communicative language. Let's say by some means we teach them simple math and a basic language, then what. They're not at the level to make a simple sentence structure.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by skeptic_al

I love dolphins, taste a bit like Minke.
If they were so smart, you would think by now they wouldn't
go any where Japan.

May you and your family take a trip to where cannibals live.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
To see such a proposal come up for dolphins and not monkeys (who we have more in common with), makes me really question what criteria is of most value to us, or could it be as simple as... associating positive feels to one creature versus another. i.e. kill rats, snakes, bats but have parrots, turtles and rabbits as pets.

In the thread Man, Monkey or Both. i go into why we have social dissonance to this undeniable fact, that we are monkeys. ... but as i can see here many of us think of ourselves as dolphins versus monkeys... or could this just be wishful thinking?

[edit on 7-1-2010 by The Blind Eye]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Evolution of cetaceans

They evolved from land mammals. What is to say we, as in our dna, did not have a say in the creation of these and many other wonderous beings.

Fact is we say many of the same links and chains of DNA exist within all life forms.

DNA

They found that the chemical sequence of certain segments of DNA in specific vertebrates precisely matches some DNA segments in humans. In all, they identified almost 500 segments that were "completely unchanged" despite tens or hundreds of millions of years of evolution in animals as seemingly unrelated as mice and men.

By this reasoning, Haussler explains, the matching DNA fragments might have been preserved in pristine shape because they serve some useful evolutionary purpose -- its nature still unknown.

[edit on 7-1-2010 by DarkCyrus]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by earthdude

May you and your family take a trip to where cannibals live.

I for one would love to take a vacation to an area where cannibals live, I have always wanted to try long pork.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I don't see the need to demonize doglord or anyone.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by skeptic_al

In some ways dolphin intelligence is a good allegory to alien intelligence. Dolphins cause and effect reasoning is probably much shorter term than humans. On the other hand their larger brains must have communication and sensory abilities logarithmically more sophisticated. Sonar abilities that allow them to monitor miles of surrounding ocean doesn't enhance their survival prospects when they don't think like their enemies.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   

delphins same as crows were brought by aliens from different planets.Their soul purpose is to observe the earth.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
dolphins use to be the dominant species before humans,according to one of the SIMPSONS Show LOL, If life started in the ocean then why is there no inteligent life that evolved living under water?

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Honestly though we do have to remember that dolphins are also a fantastic source of protien and very very tasty.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by agent00duece
If life started in the ocean then why is there no inteligent life that evolved living under water?

Maybe you need to reconsider your definition of "intelligent life". Your current definition might be too restricted to perceive intelligence, much less higher intelligence, in species (earthly or otherwise), that do not meet your criteria.
What a species does with its intelligence might be something entirely different from what humans do with theirs.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Doglord

so this means you eat corpses, right?

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I agree with the decision, dolphins have alot of qualities akin to people...including murder i may add. The title reminded me of a documentary over here in the UK called chimps are people too. I think they should also have rights not just as animals but as people. Flying over chimps/baby chimps in boxes for zoo's etc is the same as throwing a human baby in a box for 10 hours. It should be a crime.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by watzlav

so this means you eat corpses, right?

I haven't but if it were freshly killed sure. Meat is meat.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14 >>

join