It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Concern as China clamps down on rare earth exports

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
This is potentially ugly. Lots of nifty technology emerging or already ubiquitous depends on the Rare Earth Elements (REEs). As stated below, for some reason almost all are found in China.

Gold and silver are sooooooooo 2009. I want me a stash of Yttrium, Promethium, and Praseodymium.

Neodymium is one of 17 metals crucial to green technology. There’s only one snag – China produces 97% of the world’s supply. And they’re not selling.

Britain and other Western countries risk running out of supplies of certain highly sought-after rare metals that are vital to a host of green technologies, amid growing evidence that China, which has a monopoly on global production, is set to choke off exports of valuable compounds....

China, whose mines account for 97 per cent of global supplies, is trying to ensure that all raw REE materials are processed within its borders. During the past seven years it has reduced by 40 per cent the amount of rare earths available for export.

Industry sources have told The Independent that China could halt shipments of at least two metals as early as next year, and that by 2012 it is likely to be producing only enough REE ore to satisfy its own booming domestic demand, creating a potential crisis as Western countries rush to find alternative supplies, and companies open new mines in locations from South Africa to Greenland to satisfy international demand.

Amid claims that Beijing is using its rare earths monopoly as a tool of foreign policy, the British Department of Business, Industry and Skills said it was "monitoring" the supply of REEs to ensure China was observing international trade rules.

More at source:
www.independent.co.uk...

[edit on 1/4/10 by silent thunder]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
This would be a good time to invest in Molycorp in Mountain Pass, CA. They were at one time producing 40% of world use of rare earth. And it seems they mine the same minerals China is banning....

MolyCorp

P.S. Yaaa More jobs now for Americans....Open up our own resources

[edit on 4-1-2010 by Alchemst7]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Isn't any reason why China was running around the planet trying to corner the market on rare and not so rare resources.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   
And on a related note:
China became the world's biggest gold buyer in 2009. I wish I still had the link, but in another article I saw recently, a Chinese economic official of some sort noted that China would implement a long-term "buy on the dips" policy regarding gold.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by hoghead cheese
Isn't any reason why China was running around the planet trying to corner the market on rare and not so rare resources.

Well, I'm trying to do the same thing on my own much more humble scale.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   
There is another project getting ready to start if the tree huggers can be stopped from blocking it just because its run by a uranium mining company Ucore's Bokan-Dotson Ridge Rare Earth Project
finance.bnet.com...

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
There is another project getting ready to start if the tree huggers can be stopped from blocking it just because its run by a uranium mining company Ucore's Bokan-Dotson Ridge Rare Earth Project
finance.bnet.com...

The world will have to embrace nuclear power eventually. Its just that simple.

Short-term human greed always trumps environmental concerns, whether you or I happen to think they are valid or not. However, estimates say there is only enough Uranium in the earth's crust to provide for about 9% of annual global energy use. I guess we could start up breeder-reactors like France, but the thought of weapons-grade Plutonium on every streetcorner is a bit disconcerting to say the least.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Don't worry, China just want its rare earth sell at a suitable price,
No different to the greedy Australian who always rise their ironstone price
just because China thirsts for it .

[edit on 4-1-2010 by gs001]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder

Originally posted by ANNED
finance.bnet.com...

The world will have to embrace nuclear power eventually. Its just that simple.

Short-term human greed always trumps environmental concerns, whether you or I happen to think they are valid or not. However, estimates say there is only enough Uranium in the earth's crust to provide for about 9% of annual global energy use. I guess we could start up breeder-reactors like France, but the thought of weapons-grade Plutonium on every streetcorner is a bit disconcerting to say the least.

One would think this is true but nuclear in the US has been so effectively stigmatized that I wonder if the powers that be will ever acknowledge it as the answer. Despite the large majority of nulclear plants that have worked almost flawlessly for the time of their existence, there will always be someone squawking about the disposal of nuclear waste, Three Mile Island and Chernobyl.

I lived less than 100 miles from TMI in '79 and the coverage of it was something else, even in the pre-cable network news days. It didn't help that environmentalism was still on the upswing and TMI coincided pretty well with the release of the movie China Syndrome.

Almost the entire country could be powered by nuclear for the cost of TARP or the "Stimulus" but that goes ignored while people reaxh for some perfect existence where all power is naturally generated.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by gs001
Don't worry, China just want its rare earth sell at a suitable price,
No different to the greedy Australian who always rise their ironstone price
just because China thirsts for it .

[edit on 4-1-2010 by gs001]

So while China only wants a "suitable price", the big bad Lao-wai is "greedy".

I guess you also get angry when Chinese are discriminated against or stereotyped???

Have you ever heard of the word hypocrite ?

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by mckyle
So while China only wants a "suitable price", the big bad Lao-wai is "greedy".

I guess you also get angry when Chinese are discriminated against or stereotyped???

Have you ever heard of the word hypocrite ?

OK, both are greedy, so don't blame each other.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by gs001

No country is perfect.

I know Australia - or rather the Australian Government - has faults. As does every government.

China has faults too, but I still love the country and it's people very much.

It makes me particulalry sad when I hear Chinese people saying bad things about Australia. Australians in general have a profound respect for Chinese culture. And as you know the Australian Prime Minister speaks perfect Putonhua, and has also a love of Chinese history and culture.

It's good to be critical of a country's actions, but one should always take and honest look at their own country first.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by mckyle

hypocrite?ah yes, i think most of us see that every sing� �e day in ATS ;)

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by yiersan
reply to post by mckyle

hypocrite?ah yes, i think most of us see that every sing� �e day in ATS ;)

Dui. wo zhi dao.

But does that mean it's OK for everyone to be hypocrites?
No. It doesn't.

I want to hear the views of our Chinese members as do most of the other members. Responding to a criticism of your own country by simply criticising another country, doesn't help.

You'll get much more credibility if you address their points and defend them with facts, rather than just say things like Australia is "greedy". That just upsets people and make them less inclined to listen to what you might have to say, and constructively argue with you.

What is your goal? to make people see your point of view, or to attack some lao wai because he makes a point about your country?

zhong guo wo hen shi huan

[edit on 4-1-2010 by mckyle]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   

You'll get much more credibility if you address their points and defend them with facts, rather than just say things like Australia is "greedy". That just upsets people and make them less inclined to listen to what you might have to say, and constructively argue with you.

你以为你是谁?
I often find "free" people demonize China in this forum, the words they use are much more sharp than the word "greedy".
if you want to be Angel, be it, it is your own business, don't teach others
what they should do, OK?

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by mckyle

don't put words in my mouth ;-) never claimed that it is ok to be hypocrite.... ah well... another thing many of us tend to do to others...

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alchemst7
This would be a good time to invest in Molycorp in Mountain Pass, CA. They were at one time producing 40% of world use of rare earth. And it seems they mine the same minerals China is banning....

Unfortunately Molycorp is a privately held company. Unless you are a connected institutional investor like Goldman Sachs , or a large private equity fund like Pegasus...sorry , you can't own it....

Goldman's Mining Subsidiary Using China Fears To Get Taxpayer Money
Joe Weisenthal Oct. 13, 2009

Molycorp Minerals... why does that sound familiar. Ah, yes, it's the rare-earth mining company partly-owned by Goldman Sachs (GS), which just got a $3 million Congressional earmark, ostensibly because the menace of Chinese hoarding was grave enough that a domestic player warranted a taxpayer appropriation.

Full Text

Related: Why Did Goldman Get A $3 Million Gov't Gift For "National Security"

Near to mid-term , select REE do have a rosy future imo , but I wouldn't let the recent hype over Chinese REE monopoly be the sole basis for my investment decision. For the unwashed masses (you & me) there are several Canadian miners that offer direct exposure. For example Avalon has been a 5-Bagger across the past year , while one of my favs , Quest , has run from .05 to 3.50/60 in just eight months

Jim Dines and Jack Lifton have been walking-point on REE & Uranium for a while now. Maybe a google search for prospective investors.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by gs001

你以为你是谁?
I often find "free" people demonize China in this forum, the words they use are much more sharp than the word "greedy".
if you want to be Angel, be it, it is your own business, don't teach others
what they should do, OK?

我知道我是谁,我知道你是谁太
I know more about you than you think gs001.
If Heinan thinks they're getting their moneys worth from you as an ambassador to China, then they're sadly mistaken.

You are truly a fool if you think you will change people's minds about China by attacking their country's culture.

You get upset when people criticise China, so do you think you're achieving anything by doing the same back?

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by yiersan
reply to post by mckyle

don't put words in my mouth ;-) never claimed that it is ok to be hypocrite.... ah well... another thing many of us tend to do to others...

Well you are the one who said that ATS is full of hypocrites!

So why did you mention it at all, if it has no relevance to your argument?

Do you think it's good for gs001 to attack criticise Australia when that country was not even part of the initial post by the OP?

China has few allies around the world, and with people such as gs001 attacking a close ally, such as Australia, do you think that is very wise?

It's certainly not smart.

But I won't waste any more time with you two guys because it will be blatantly obvious to some on ATS that you can't even manage to hide your real agendas and ID - very funny.

China needs to invest more wisely in their part time spooks.

您已被发现!

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
To everyone in this thread:

Dear Sirs and Madames (sp?) --

I am not a moderator, and of course you are all free to say whatever you like unless a moderator says otherwise. Howerver, as OP, I would like to kindly request that everyone strive to interact in a more polite and courteous way. If certain posters wish to continue an endless "your country is worse than my country" argument, I humbly suggest U2U, BTS, or another board for such interaction.

There are millions of such threads and arguments all over the Internet. If you don't mind, I'd prefer this not become another such thread, because ultimately it bores me (Simplicity, repetitiveness, etc.). My opinion only. As a firm beliver in freedom of speech, you are of course free to do as you wish.

Personally, I think EVERYONE on planet earth tries to get as much for themselves as they can in whatever way they can. Its called survival instinct, and while it is balanced by compassion in many cases, none of us would be here without it. It also, sadly, kills many and causes great suffering. But from these eyes, at least, it seems an unalterable fact of life in every nation.

I thank you all for your participation, and look forward to reading more opinions about Rare Earth Metals and their impact on the global economy, if possible.

Kind regards,

Silent Thunder

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join