It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge comet appears near sun.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
if you observe the same area of this inbound comet starting at approximately 12/28-12/29 you will see another comet (very faint) -looks like almost the same arc/travel path
soho.esac.esa.int...

sure do miss kento on days like this

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Pauligirl

Thanks for the detailed and informative response!

That cleared things up pretty much completely for me.

Although, I acknowledge the fact that anything is possible, so it should be interesting to see what happens if that scoop of ice cream somehow doesn't melt, and doesn't hit Australia.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Well this was the only factor missing in the return of the Madhi. Guess it won't be long now until the 40 days of religious unity and one world religion.
Great.
Interesting thread btw.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
personally, to just now see this comet and automatically classify it ice is bad scientific method. The only thing we can do for the next 2 or 3 hours is watch, it looks like this thing is going to put on a show regardless.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1kftabove
if you observe the same area of this inbound comet starting at approximately 12/28-12/29 you will see another comet (very faint) -looks like almost the same arc/travel path
soho.esac.esa.int...

sure do miss kento on days like this

It's possible.
en.wikipedia.org...

SOHO observations have shown that Sungrazers frequently arrive in pairs separated by a few hours. These pairs are too frequent to occur by chance, and cannot be due to break-ups on the previous orbit, because the fragments would have separated by a much greater distance.[2] Instead, it is thought that the pairs result from fragmentations far away from the perihelion. Many comets have been observed to fragment far from perihelion, and it seems that in the case of the Kreutz Sungrazers, an initial fragmentation near perihelion can be followed by an ongoing 'cascade' of break-ups throughout the rest of the orbit.[2][14]

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Although, I acknowledge the fact that anything is possible, so it should be interesting to see what happens if that scoop of ice cream somehow doesn't melt, and doesn't hit Australia.

Well this is one klown that hopes it doesn't hit Oz!!!

It would definitely dampen my weekend somewhat!

How about the middle of the Pacific?

[edit on 2/1/1010 by Krusty the Klown]

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Here's a shot of the sun I took myself. Blow it up and check the out what's on the right.

[img-512x384][atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2869539e8bd0.jpg[/img]

[edit on 2-1-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

An inversion brings out some more activity.

[img-512x384][atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a57b873642e2.jpg[/img]

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

whats on the right? venus? or a solar flare?

[edit on 3-1-2010 by TheCoffinman]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

Great pic.
You can see the comets tail.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Very good picture! Are you sure you do not have glares on the camera? Also , what is the object at 4 o'clock in the picture? I guess we will have an interesting morning in Europe

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by daggyz
The picture shows something like a comet close to the sun. It could be billions of miles behind the sun.

This photo does not mean a comet is 'close' to the sun.

Actually yes it does. A comet only has a tail when it comes into close proximity to the Sun, between the orbits of Jupiter and Mars or less then 5 AUs, because it is a reaction to the solar wind. The tail will ignite and dissipate at around this distance, these tails are electrical reactions and are not simply sublimating ice. Also keep in mind that no comets have been observed around other stars as of yet.

Originally posted by SLaPPiE
Hi all!

I was looking at the latest and noticed another slow mover.
Is this a satellite or another comet?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/83123c86031f.jpg[/atsimg]

It is moving left to right.

It is easy to see from the current movie of the LASCO C3 here: sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov...

Cool shots w/ Venus in there too!

Replying to SLaPPiE and...
reply to post by Romanian

That is the planet Mercury. I gave an explanation in an earlier post about this object, its apparent motion and why I think it is Mercury.

Originally posted by Krusty the Klown
Very interesting thread.

Does anybody know what the horizontal line accompanying Venus is?

Lens flare maybe?

Lens flare is correct, all bright objects like that do the same thing. This is the same reason the Sun is blocked out by a shield on the camera.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Romanian
reply to post by willis7737

You are right, it should melt . However, being close to the sun would make a lot of the component gases to evaporate

I don't mean to sound rude but how does gas evaporate?
The old theory that comets are made of ice is bogus and has been proven wrong many times by NASA, ESA and others by spacecraft that have actually visited and sampled many comets. Almost no water ice has been found yet comets are still called dirty snowballs, go figure.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by '___'omino
The one on the right is Venus
[edit on 2-1-2010 by '___'omino]

*EDIT* (to add proof of my claim)

[edit on 2-1-2010 by '___'omino]

It's nice to see that some other people besides Phage know how to look things up and get to the bottom of astronomical questions! Nice job!

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Hmm I just asked yesterday what would happen if something hit the sun...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Answer I received (You could probably smash Mercury into the Sun and never notice a thing.)

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by l77way
reply to post by operation mindcrime

dont mention the name PHAGE, last time i dropped his name i got slaughtered on here

Mod Note: Please stay on Topic – Review This Link.

[edit on Sat Jan 2 2010 by Jbird]

Don't give me any of that Phage crap. I'm really sick of all you Phageobots saying everything is fake. Why don't you take your crap to the Huffington Post and leave conspiracy here for the rest of us.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Looks like this nibiru business might be real.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by SLaPPiE

Just to confirm Devino beliefs that would seem to be the planet Mercury.
I leave you with niffty image that keeps up to date thanks to NASA

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by nophun

Venus is moving into superior conjunction, behind the Sun, and Mercury is catching up to Earth in a position of inferior conjunction, between Earth and the Sun.
I originally check Celestia, an astronomical software, to confirm this and found Venus was indeed moving towards superior conjunction, moving from right to left, and Mercury was moving left to right into inferior conjunction. Mercury's orbital inclination also put it slightly above the Sun as observed from Earth's orbit.

What this means is both of these planets will disappear behind SOHO's solar shield, as per your linked image, and will soon reappear on opposite sides.

ADD: Actually because of Mercury's orbital inclination we should see it move across SOHO's camera above the Sun.

[edit on 1/3/2010 by Devino]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
Very interesting ...

Also, at the end of the video where the object appears from the bottom left, there's another object seemingly moving faster than "normal" at around 9-10 o'clock from left to right. I wonder what that is ...

Yeah I noticed it... strange... UFO alert!

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join