It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge comet appears near sun.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
If you look closely it almost looks like it vaporizes before it even hits the sun! Even if it changes state from ice to a liquid how would it evaporate? Where would the vapor go? It still has all that mass and if it didnt impact the sun could the liquid reform into ice once its out of the suns direct heat?

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by C.H.U.D.

Rubbish would be making comments about something you no nothing about that contradicts scientific evidence. If you are really interested in knowing about comets do a little research. What do we know about comets is some of the information I found that I posted over a year ago on this subject, very interesting read.

How will a comet tail "ignite" when there is not enough oxygen to sustain combustion?

You do know that Earth is only 1 AU away from the Sun don't you? So why does Earth's atmosphere not ignite?

What I mean by "ignite" is sublimation and ionization. Comets do not sport a tail all the time, just when they come in close proximity to the Sun. The Earth's atmosphere does not do this because it has a magnetic field protecting it unlike comets and the planet Venus.
Venus' atmosphere is being 'cooked' off by the Sun's solar wind and turned into ions. These plasma tails have been detected from Earth.

Venus has a tail similar to a comet.

Using satellite data, an international team of researchers has found that Venus sports a giant, ion-packed tail that stretches almost far enough to tickle the Earth when the two planets are in line with the Sun...."I didn't expect to find it," says team member Marcia Neugebauer of the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California. "It's a really strong signal, and there's no doubt it's real."
Source-New Scientist.

Originally posted by C.H.U.D.
reply to post by Devino

I don't mean to sound rude but how does gas evaporate?

I think he probably meant to say "ice", which would evaporate much like anywhere else if you bombard it with solar radiation.

I was pointing out an obvious error in that statement and Romanian isn't the only one to make such an error as I have heard this said on some documentaries about planets and such. I am aware that gas cannot evaporate any more that ice can freeze so my question was rhetorical.

The old theory that comets are made of ice is bogus and has been proven wrong many times by NASA, ESA and others by spacecraft that have actually visited and sampled many comets. Almost no water ice has been found yet comets are still called dirty snowballs, go figure.

Sampled "many" comets? Please show the evidence of these "many" comet samples that have been returned to Earth?

I only know of one sample return mission from a comet, and it seems to contradict what you are saying about water:

I did not say sample and return to Earth.
Your correct that there has been only one such mission, Stardust samples from comet Wild 2 (pronounced 'Vild') but the comment in your Wiki link that there is "an abundance of ice" is wrong.

Most missions sample the comet's tail and radio back data to Earth where as the Stardust mission actually sent back a probe that (crash) landed on Earth and was retrieved. The comets that have been sampled that I can remember are Wild2, Halley's, Borrelly and Temple1. I think there were a couple more and NASA was not the only source as space agencies from other countries have been involved.
The end result is that almost no water ice has been found on comets. They are not dirty snowballs as they contain almost no water. I suppose if you want you can dismiss all of this fairly recent scientific evidence that proves comets are not made of snow and hold onto the 100+ year old theory that they are dirty snowballs.

It is very close minded to accept any scientific theory as fact especially when evidence continues to keep proving them wrong. Just keep in mind what the current theories have to say about 'what comets are' (i.e. dirty snowballs that originated from the outer solar system).

[edit on 1/3/2010 by Devino]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Completely fascinating.

To follow a comet from beginning to end was a amazing little journey.

Good thread imo.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by way2slo
If you look closely it almost looks like it vaporizes before it even hits the sun! Even if it changes state from ice to a liquid how would it evaporate? Where would the vapor go? It still has all that mass and if it didnt impact the sun could the liquid reform into ice once its out of the suns direct heat?

This is a good point and the answer requires an explanation that is not well received by mainstream science. Ions are positively charged atomic particles. The interaction between the Suns solar wind (plasma) and the material in a comet's nuclei create ions of the same material (hydrogen, Oxygen, carbon, etc...) and are thus ejected out into space that make up the comet's tail. I would guess that smaller atoms (Hydrogen to Oxygen) are the first to go into creating the comets plasma tail leaving the heavier elements behind. This could explain why almost no water is being found on these objects.

Space is filled with these ions that are being pushed to the outer solar system or are being picked up by some of the bigger planets like Jupiter and Saturn.

Here is proof of an electric Universe and it is not well received by academic science even though it explains these phenomena very well.

reply to post by whiteraven

Agreed, I enjoy learning about comets and given the response I believe we have a lot of learning yet to do here.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Devino

Rubbish would be making comments about something you no nothing about that contradicts scientific evidence.

Which is precisely what you did.

If you knew anything at all about comets (besides the bare basics) then you would not have made the erroneous statements that you made. This one for example:

Almost no water ice has been found yet comets are still called dirty snowballs, go figure.

Those who know about comets have not referred to them as "dirty snowballs" for some years now. A more accurate description, and one that is used today by those who do know something about comets would be that they are "snowy dirt-balls"

I think it is you who needs to "do a little research". Google is your friend...

[edit on 3-1-2010 by C.H.U.D.]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
The ice theory is still that , a theory. I think there is still a lot of debate on it between scientists. Google isn't your friend, keywords are! Deny ignorance! Look for more explanations than the top google picks! remember how manipulated global warming has gotten?

lets try and keep this thread civil at least until there has been at least another 24 hours pass because I for one am still not convinced it has disintegrated. I would need to check my sources but I think that the white circle in the middle is the sun, not the disc around it. Just because it is hidden from our sight does not mean it is gone.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Does anyone remember this one, talk about big comets, this was massive and a fast one at that.www.youtube.com...

[edit on 3-1-2010 by Lil Drummerboy]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by kyle43

You mean the fake eclipse look?

They do that to see the Sun's corona.
(or stars hints the "Dog Star" being "censored" in google sky)

en.wikipedia.org...

That reminds me I want to go explain that to the 2012/Nibiru people ... mah I will wait till next year some time

[edit on 3-1-2010 by nophun]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by C.H.U.D.

OK I give, you win the idiot argument. I have done a lot of research about comets and other astronomical objects and I don't need anyone to tell me to do more. Rather than quote myself maybe you could be so kind as to click on my previous link. You will find a lot of information there and I would be happy to discuss any of that but to generalize me as ignorant is a waste of my time.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
looks like there is a lot of activity going on

also why have the EIT cameras on sohos website stopped giving pictures? it looks like they were giving a few photos a day until the 1st of this year. The latest frames on the EIT 171 and EIT 284 show a change in the colour of the sun!

also could someone look at the MDI magnetogram and tell me what the white and black spot are? I would guess strong magnetic activity because of how balanced the white and black spots are.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
this picture above my post is awesome.

We have too little information about what's going on in our solar system, but answers will be found very soon, unless we blast the Earth with nukes.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Pauligirl

The sungrazers are pretty incredible. While the current belief is that they come from trillions of comets slowly orbiting at the edge of the solar system. that is only a belief invented by Oort to explain comets and wildely accepted by astronomers bcause they have no better explanation. A few decades ago I did a bunch of homestyle research on comets. They are pretty fascinating in that they are so strange.

The sungrazers/Krutz comets appear from a point in space very near Sirius. That is why they are assumed to be remnants of a much larger body--but of course, they would have to say that because they all come from the same place.

Being this is ATS, I will throw out the suggestion that comets are intelligently controlled bodies, asteroidal bodies to be sure, that are used for interstellar travel. Those from the direction of Sirius probaby ARE coming from that star and can explain a lot about the strange vehicles we see in the sky and some of the old myths.

I also suggest that the mysterious comas that have comfused the scientist even more after we have examined them at close range have a simple function as a radiation shield of water and dust to protect the vehicle especially during close passages to the Sun. They get close to the Sun to insure their virtually railroad-track-straight travels back into deep space to exactly the same way they came.

The ion rays that we often see are exactly that, ion engines engaged in doing a bit of orbital corrections.

Sounds crazy right! Maybe so, but a lot of interesting data tends to indicate otherwise. And of course, the aliens told me that.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual
The comet hit, I'm sure. I wonder if there will be a CME though.

[edit on 3/1/10 by Nventual]

Not necessarily. We have no idea how far the comet is from us or how far it is from the Sun. It could simply be somewhere between the orbits of Venus and Mercury and is just passing in front of the Sun from SOHO's point-of-view.

Venus (the big bright spot on the right) is apparently headed towards the Sun in that SOHO picture -- at least from SOHO's point-of-view -- but it will actually pass behind it.

The solar system is not 2-dimensional.

[edit on 1/3/2010 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

if you goto to SOHO´s website

(sohodata.nascom.nasa.gov...)

and select as image type "LASCO C2", resolution "1024", and then enter the number of latest images you want to see (i.e. 50), you will see the comet approaching the sun, but then it appears to disintegrate before hitting the sun.

p.s.: you might have to increase the numebr of latest images to be able to see the comet... since its been a while...

[edit on 3-1-2010 by bladebosq]

[edit on 3-1-2010 by bladebosq]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Devino

Ok, perhaps I was a little hard on you. It certainly was not intended as a personal attack on you and I apologize for implying that you knew nothing at all.

Some of what you said was good info, but you have mixed it up with speculative theories and a couple of pretty blatant errors which I pointed out. Your credibility dropped a few notches right there IMHO.

I think it's every poster's duty here on ATS to point out what they recognize to be erroneous and/or possibly misleading info.

Call me old-fashioned, but why would I want to look at the posts you made trying to prove that Venus was a comet? What does this have to do with the topic at hand anyway?

Ok so I read them, but saying that "because Venus has a tail thats a bit like that of a comet so it may have been a comet" is a bit like saying that "because a mountain casts a shadow it must have once been an elephant, since elephants make big shadows too!", which is obviously a bit ridiculous.

You seem to be missing the point that comets and planets are related anyway, both having been formed from the same material, and comets representing the left-over building blocks that made up the planets in our solar system. Not to mention that current thinking also has asteroids as the spent nuclei of comets intimately related. Theory is also consistent with observations, and I can personally attest to that since my own observations fit with the theory.

Every natural object in the solar system probably has an ion trail of one kind or another, since every object in the solar system is made out of more or less the same building blocks.

Lets look at it from another angle...

If your definition of a comet is something that leaves behind an ion trail, then we should also call meteors, stars, and even galaxies "comets", since examples of all these objects have been seen to leave behind tails containing ions!

Comets actually form under specific conditions (as I'm sure your research told you) that are different to those that would have accompanied planetary formation, but the key thing to remember is that the two things happen at the same time, and side by side, which means that one can't suddenly decide to become the other.

Can you see how absurd the theory of Venus once being a comet is now?

Just FYI...

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
NEW activity in LASCO C2

watch in realtime

20-01-02 10:56

to

20-01-04 3:54

[edit on 3-1-2010 by kyle43]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime
Ask Phage about the white spot right of the sun. It probably has something to do with spacedust on the lens or a bake-out, whatever that may be....

Anyway, great find. Star and Flag!!!

Peace

That's only Venus to the right. People are trusting Phage a bit too much. He is not always right guys, he likes to dismiss everything even when he can't disprove things, and he doesn't like to admit when he is wrong. Don't make him an idol...

Anyway, there is another object that appears on the left of SOHO, above the Sun, it is not a comet however. The closer it gets to the Sun it seems to be moving away from the camera. I say that because it gets dimmer, and smaller the closer it gets towards the Sun.

It could just be a satellite, although it seems to be moving a bit fast, it is however slower than the comet. It does seem to be between SOHO and the Sun. If it was behind the Sun that would be a huge object, so my guess is a satellite, but I could be wrong.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pauligirl
Positions of STEREO A and B for 2010-01-02 00:00 UT
stereo-ssc.nascom.nasa.gov...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/601746f5bbff.gif[/atsimg]

Ah ha, so the object is Mercury. Thanks for that. See guys? we don't need Phage.

No disrespect, but I just don't trust him.

[edit on 4-1-2010 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

what about the object on the right hand side in this picture ?

are you saying that is venus?

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheCoffinman
reply to post by randyvs

whats on the right? venus? or a solar flare?

I was hoping someone else could say because I don't have the first clue.

Kyle
That is really wierd it's close to where the anomaly in my picture is.

[edit on 4-1-2010 by randyvs]

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join