It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge comet appears near sun.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse

Ah ha, so the object is Mercury. Thanks for that. See guys? we don't need Phage.

No disrespect, but I just don't trust him.

I think that he would be the first to say "don't take my word for it"...

That is the beauty of using a little logic + the internet - we can check if things match, and I would recommend that people always go and check the facts for themselves if they are unsure what or who to believe.

The facts speak for themselves.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by DwaynetheSpecious

DwaynetheSpecious,

You make a complete fool of yourself and demonstrate you have NO KNOWLEDGE about the sky and what's happening on it.

Now did i make a complete fool of myself by being the first to respond to this thread and pointing out what was in fact the comet?

Never did i claim to have any knowledge about this subject (in fact even said i didn't a few posts down on page 1).

Let me explain what the so-called dust you call it is.

It's pretty simple... it's Venus

And if you would have taken the effort of reading more than the first two posts in this thread you would have noticed that LSdomino already answered that question...

Originally posted by '___'omino
The one on the right is Venus

Now who made a fool out of himself??

Peace

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Also until we see the updated images from the EIT series then official claims should not be made.

its still strange to me that there hasn't been an update after the 284 and 171 came back with images of the sun changing color and as far as I know there haven't been any reasons why they haven't been updated

hmmmmm

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by C.H.U.D.

I must admit that the idea of Venus once being a comet, Velikovsky's theory, was something I originally thought to be absurd. Rather than assume this was wrong, however, I started doing some research and the more information I found the more this absurdity began to sound probable.

The information I posted in that thread was from credible sources like NASA, JPL, ESA and other science news sites that quoted astronomers from those organizations. I did not make them up nor did I try to cherry pick the information. One of the major problems that seems to contradict the standard theory about comets is the lack of water found.

I think the estimates are somewhere between 5% and zero water found on the surface and the reaction of Deep impact on comet Temple 1 seems to indicate that comets are nearly devoid of any water at all. If this is in error it is due to the quotes from the science articles that I linked. I had a hard time posting this stuff as it goes against what I thought I knew and because of this I sat on the information for a long time. The evidence against the standard model is overwhelming and I do realize what this implies, that is why I was reluctant to post my findings.

Was Venus a comet? I don't know and your right that this is not the topic here, I linked that thread because of the quotes that have to do with the nature of comets. Whether Venus was a comet in the recent past is debatable, it's not ridiculous nor absurd as I originally thought but actually a good debate.

Every natural object in the solar system probably has an ion trail of one kind or another, since every object in the solar system is made out of more or less the same building blocks.

I had thought that planetary magnetic fields protect against the Suns solar winds and therefore these planets will not have an ion tail like a comet, magnetospheres but not ion tails. I would be interested in information showing otherwise. At any rate Venus' ion tail is far from small as it's almost 25 million miles long, it's not as brilliant and dramatic as comet tails but small it is not.

How were comets formed? Evidence from the samples collected from Stardust's mission indicate that at least Wild2 was not formed in the outer solar system but under conditions of extreme heat and pressure.

Early on, scientists found surprising evidence that Wild 2 contained some material from the inner solar system that had been heated to more than 1000° C

This evidence also goes against the standard model.

Samples of Comet Wild 2 suggest it is made of rocky material, like an asteroid.

Wild 2 ... has a composition more like that of an asteroid than what was expected of a comet.

Wild 2 appears to be "kind of an asteroid-like comet"

Wild 2 should still be considered a comet... because it is throwing off gas and dust as ice on its surface evaporates in sunlight.
Source- New Scientist

The distinction between asteroids and comets is very faint yet we are not about to start calling planets like Venus comets. What I found is that the old standard model of comets has been reformed into something completely different by way of the evidence collected from these missions.

By the way, thank you for your reply.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by kyle43
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

what about the object on the right hand side in this picture ?

are you saying that is venus?

I would say that is Venus, it's in the right location, lower right of the Sun, and seems to be close enough to the apparent size of Venus. Bright planets will give off a lens flare like that (the horizontal line) and also a flare up when it passes into the edge of the camera's lens. This is simply the nature of SOHO's equipment.

All planets, in our solar system, orbit the Sun counter-clockwise so this would mean that this object, Venus, is moving away from Earth and behind the Sun. We just had an inferior conjunction, close approach, with Venus on 3/26/09 and another is due on 10/31/10. These synodic periods are about 584 days apart so that would mean a superior conjunction, alignment on the far side of the Sun, will take place around 1/12/10 (584/2=292) or in less than 9 days from now.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Devino

reply to post by ElectricUniverse

what about the object on the right hand side in this picture ?

are you saying that is venus?

I would say that is Venus, it's in the right location, lower right of the Sun, and seems to be close enough to the apparent size of Venus. Bright planets will give off a lens flare like that (the horizontal line) and also a flare up when it passes into the edge of the camera's lens. This is simply the nature of SOHO's equipment.

All planets, in our solar system, orbit the Sun counter-clockwise so this would mean that this object, Venus, is moving away from Earth and behind the Sun. We just had an inferior conjunction, close approach, with Venus on 3/26/09 and another is due on 10/31/10. These synodic periods are about 584 days apart so that would mean a superior conjunction, alignment on the far side of the Sun, will take place around 1/12/10 (584/2=292) or in less than 9 days from now.

i'm sorry but could you explain how that is Venus if Venus Appears like its going behind the Sun in all the LASCO C3 frames?

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pauligirl
Positions of STEREO A and B for 2010-01-02 00:00 UT
stereo-ssc.nascom.nasa.gov...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/601746f5bbff.gif[/atsimg]

Ah ha, so the object is Mercury. Thanks for that.

No -- it's Venus.

That's a graphic of NASA's STEREO spacecrafts locations. The spacecraft in question is ESA's SOHO (i.e., a different spacecraft in a different location).

SOHO orbits around the "L1" Lagrange point. From the point-of-view of SOHO, that spot on the right of the OP's image could still be Venus. It can't be Mercury, because Mercury would presently be moving from left-to-right across SOHO's view as it passes in front of the Sun, while Venus would be moving right-to-left as it eventually goes behind the Sun. If you look at SOHO images from the past several days, you will see that the bright object on the right is moving right-to-left, therefore it is probably Venus.

Venus is not quite behind the Sun yet from SOHO's point-of-view (nor Earth's, for that matter) but it will be very soon.

See guys? we don't need Phage.

No disrespect, but I just don't trust him.

You don't need to "trust" Phage because he usually backs up everything he says with facts or an explanation, which gives you the ability to verify what he is saying. You should never trust what you read on the internet without being able to verify it for yourself.

[edit on 1/4/2010 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   

No one said what will happen when it collides with the sun.

Nothing will happen as far as you or I are concerned. Even a large comet like Hale Bopp (up to 50kms in diameter) is insignificant when compared to the Sun (approximately 1.4 million kms in diameter).

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Well it looks like the sun gobbled it up no prob.
spaceweather.com...
Never seen this before but now i have.

THANKYOU

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
The Sun is a very interesting STAR indeed, it brought us fireworks for the NEW YEAR nice!

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   

i'm sorry but could you explain how that is Venus if Venus Appears like its going behind the Sun in all the LASCO C3 frames?

That's because Venus is moving behind the Sun. I don't know of any simple way to explain it without drawing it out.

I have checked two different astronomical programs and I did the math of the conjunction periods with both Venus and Mercury. Venus is the large object on the right that is moving to the left just below the level of the Sun and this is where it should be. Mercury is the small object that is moving from the upper left to the right above the level of the Sun (or plane of the ecliptic) and this is right where that planet should be.

Those two objects in question, not the comet, are the planets Venus and Mercury. They are right were they should be in their orbital positions and oblquities and moving in the correct directions.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Devino

I'm sorry I meant to say C2 frames...

could you please confirm with all data shown that the bright objects in

and

are indeed both Venus.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
So...Excuse me if i missed something but...Anybody want to explain what exactly the significance of the Comet flying by the Sun and the impact it would have on us?

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   

reply to post by Devino

I'm sorry I meant to say C2 frames...

could you please confirm with all data shown that the bright objects in

and

are indeed both Venus.

You had a link to this in your first post:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7079753d29d1.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Pauligirl

Thank you Pauligirl, I wasn't sure how else to explain it.
I think kyle43 might have been asking about the different images (Lasco C2 and C3) which are different camera lenses that show different solar radii.

* C1 - a Fabry-Pérot interferometer coronagraph imaging from 1.1 to 3 solar radii
* C2 - a white light coronagraph imaging from 2 to 6 solar radii
* C3 - a white light coronagraph imaging from 3.7 to 32 solar radii

LASCO = Large Angle and Spectrometric Coronagraph

The stereo images are also taken from different locations as has been posted earlier as well. I must admit that it can get somewhat confusing.

ADD: here is a page that better explains this.
Stereo Orbits in L1 positions.
Here is another site.

First Lagrangian Point (L1), [is] where the combined gravity of the Earth and Sun keep SOHO in an orbit locked to the Earth-Sun line. The L1 point is approximately 1.5 million kilometers away from Earth (about four times the distance of the Moon), in the direction of the Sun.
Source

[edit on 1/5/2010 by Devino]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
whats this?

www.lmsal.com...

also

LASCO latest images look like a CME is forming on the Suns nine o clock

[edit on 5-1-2010 by kyle43]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by kyle43

Im not too good at this but i think the Ahead is the sunspot leaving and the Behind one coming round to our side it looks BIG from that pic anyway i hope i got it right.

THANKYOU

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
is the sun trying to sneeze?

www.lmsal.com...

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by kyle43

Here it is coming in to view looks big are we finaly going to see some firework's from are Sun.
LINK umbra.nascom.nasa.gov...

THANKYOU

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   

whats this?

www.lmsal.com...
(note: your link is self-updating, so the movie you posted on January 5th is no longer in the link. The January 5th movie showed a sudden burst of solar activity as seen from STEREO's "behind" spacecraft.)

According to spaceweather.com, there was a large coronal mass ejection (CME) on the far side of the Sun.

From spaceweather.com:

Yesterday, January 5th, something exploded on the back side of the sun and hurled a coronal mass ejection (CME) into space....

...The source of the blast was probably one of several regions currently located behind the sun's eastern limb. NASA's STEREO-B spacecraft is monitoring three old sunspots there--AR1035, AR1036 and AR1038. The emergent latitude of the CME best matches that of AR1036, which will turn to face Earth in a few days. Stay tuned for solar activity.

Here's a movie from SOHO (and, yes -- the bright dot to the lower right of the Sun is Venus):
spaceweather.com...

and here's the spaceweather.com page (scroll down to the story):
spaceweather.com...

Perhaps it's a good thing the CME was pointed away from Earth. I don't know how big this CME was, but a powerful one can temporarily disrupt satellite communications and perhaps cause some power blackouts. Then again, it may have produced some really nice auroras!

[edit on 1/6/2010 by Soylent Green Is People]

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join