It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Look in the sky! what is that?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Its 1130 right now and I am seeing something strange in the sky. The full moon shows a very weird glow that looks like some type of circle among the clouds. I dont know what is causing this or if anyone else is seeing this right now but it just looks amazing! Does anyone know what is going on and if so what is the cause of this strange yet beautiful display?

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
err .... !!!
Where are you ?

and don't just say "outside" please !

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I assume you mean something like these

It can be quite common and very spectacular. I have only seen a few of them.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Stop-loss!

Pictures please.....

If what your seeing is like what AlwaysQuestion posted, then we see this all the time in Oklahoma.

My Grandmother used to tell me that when you saw a halo around the moon that the American Indians, believed this signaled rain coming in the next few days. (no idea if they really believe that, it's just what she told me)

But, AlwaysQuestion is right, not an uncommon occurance at all. I think it has something to do with very high humidity and involves some 'see thru' type clouds.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Did you see them

I am in Iraq and there is no city lights here so maybe thats why I can see it?

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by RecentlyAwaken

It is a hugh halo indeed, and no I dont have a camera and I would ask others for one but they are already asleep

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by AlwaysQuestion

Yes! the first 3 are exactly how it looks like. I though I might of had bad vision or something but I looked at it for more then 10 mins in amazement and it still looks like that when I step outside.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by RecentlyAwaken

around here we say that it will snow within 10 days of this event. Also the same with a thunderstorm in winter. It isn't always correct, but it seems to be more times than not. I think it has to do with a front moving in.

OP was what you saw like the pictures posted above?

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   

based on your screen name, did you get hosed on your ETS?

victory or elsewhere?

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by network dude

Yes the pics above do look like the moon right now but from what I see its more clear and spectacular. Yes indeed I have been done a great wrong with my ETS but I should be out by next year july.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Where I live, when we see rings around the moon, it's accepted as a normal prelude to rain the next day. Usually does rain the next day, too.
We've got cloudy skies for tonight, full moon and no doubt there will be a ring around the moon. Also, we are expecting rain tomorrow.

Cool, New Years Eve there will be a blue moon. That doesn't happen often. Not only that, a lunar eclipse on New Years Eve as well.

Maybe I'll spend a bit of time drinking Blue Moon beer at the Blue Moon Saloon in Lexington tomorrow night.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Maybe your going to get some rain?

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by kyred

It is very nice to look at indeed. I wouldn't be suprized if it did rain in the morning since the ground was starting to dry up from rain more then a week ago. Be sure to drink some for me too since I cant while im here

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Well enjoy the show as it's always magical to see... I wish I saw more of them.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Yes it does here too, it was the same last night. Last night though there was a massive flash behind the clouds but it wasnt lightening

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I live near the ocean in California - It's pretty common here, specially in the Winter time. I heard it has to do with water vapor or ice cystals high up.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by AlwaysQuestion

This is my very first time seeing something like this. Thanks for the pics AlwaysQuestion, they really helped in figuring out what that moon glow was. $tar for you

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Thermo Klein

Are you from long beach by any chance, I too use to live in California till I got stop-lossed to Iraq.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I see this nearly every night. One thing that I have only seen 3 times in my life is a Rainbow around the moon which is called a MoonBow. Of course I am talking about a complete solid rainbow/moonbow and not a faded one.

MoonCorona is another term for the circle around the moon (not the moonbow).

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by the_denv

I wish I could see this moonbow you speak of. How and where does it occur and how often?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join