It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

War on fat: California trans-fat ban goes into effect Friday

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Dermo

I think you need to understand the thought process of us Americans to realise that this kind of action by a government is a violation of our freedoms. We have been given liberties as a birthright from our forefathers, men and women who died in the hope that their children and grandchildren would live in a country where the government wouldnt have the power to tell us what we can and cannot eat. While this kind of control may be the norm in Europe...it isnt here. We are perfectly capable of desciding what we should and shouldnt eat, that is our right and the fact that "big brother" is now putting it's "big foot" on our dinner tables is a slap in the faces of our founding fathers who won our liberty from such control from the royal families and powers in Europe so long ago.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
This is a tough call. On one hand, this could be viewed as the government meddling in your business. On the other hand, this could be the government protecting you from predatory business practices.

I think that this passes the smell test because they are not outlawing trans-fat, they are simply ensuring that unwitting restaurant customers aren't eating it. Now if we could just get them to do the same for flouride in the water!!!

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

I have worked in kitchens over half of my life.When I found this
thread,it made me think.I use a lot of products in my home that
I also used in restaurants.I have soup bases in my fridge so,I
decided to read the ingredients.I was really surprised to find that
the soup bases have msg in them.

If you have a restaurant supply store close by,I would check it out
and read the ingredients for yourselves.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Alright, well lets get to work on stopping these fascist from making us use seat belts.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

You were surprised? Seriously? I thaught it was common knowledge that just about every caned, bottled, or freezedry contained msg. Look on the back of your bag of Doritos, and everything else in your kitchen. There is a massive amount of MSG in the average American diet. Oh yeah and processed chicken is processed in such a way as to create a fairly large amount of msg. This includes any chicken pattys in your freezer and the crap chicken at your favorite fastfood restaurant. I have a sensitivity to the garbage, I have to stay away from a lot of things that I really enjoy.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem
yes they are poison, yes I get that part. But with respect to the government telling you what to do, so what. The point here is the government should not be telling us what to eat. Like with the health care, this is just one more step to the government controlling our lives.

That's BS. This doesn't have anything to do with a Police States. If you want to eat Trans Fat go to the store, purchase, and make your own food with transfat. I hope they do ban it. It needs to be banned. Force more people to start being healthier? What's wrong with that? Why would you want to be a fat lazy slob all of your life? That's not a great life to live. America is so fat. About time to cut down on it. It doesn't mean they are taking freedoms away. They are benefiting people from not eating trans fat! What's wrong with this? I hope it get's banned through out the United States!

But that's just my two cents.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I think the person that made the correlation between this law and the law that prohibits the use of Lead Pipes for potable water hit the nail right on the head.

This is a Consumer Safety issue.

It would be unreasonable for a government to tell it's people that it can't choose to eat Trans-Fatty Foods, but it's in the interest of Consumers for government to tell restaurants that it is irresponsible and illegal to sell and serve Trans-Fatty Foods.

Is it really any different than making it illegal to drive intoxicated? Our State governments haven't passed laws making it illegal to drink alcohol (well, not since Prohibition which did cross that line). We still have the right to drink what we chose, but are restricted to what activities we can do when we choose to exercise that right. Even still, we are free to chose to drive intoxicated, but we suffer the penalties of the law if we do such.

This law is not the government going too far, nor is it a violation of anyone's Civil Liberties. Nor would it even be such if the government made Trans-Fat to be a Restricted Substance, accessible to those of the Age of Majority (18-21 or older).

I also want to second what another stated as well, that the Fast-Food Industry accepted this coming change long ago. Many in the Restaurant Service Industry made this change long ago (even Crisco, one of the first products to use Trans-Fat changed from using Trans-Fat years ago!). This law is only enforcing what most are already doing.

Besides, the use of Trans-Fat came about at the turn of last century due to a shortage of Butterfat. As Butterfat is no longer in short supply thanks to the discovery of modern Refrigeration, there really is no rational reason for using Trans-Fat anymore in our Food Supply, especially considering the Health Risks and negative safety impact of it's use upon our Society.

[edit on 28-12-2009 by fraterormus]

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
i dont know if these ingredients like hydrogenated oil are that bad, but i sure as hell feel nasty after i eat anyhting that contains high fructose corn syrup, MSG, aspartame, nitrates, nitrites, free glutamates...they are almost in everything.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by marsvolta
i dont know if these ingredients like hydrogenated oil are that bad, but i sure as hell feel nasty after i eat anyhting that contains high fructose corn syrup, MSG, aspartame, nitrates, nitrites, free glutamates...they are almost in everything.

Hydrogenated oils cause cancer. Alot like those bug sprays our oppressive government won't let farmers use. It also causes diabetes and heart problems.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Trans fat substitutes is what is going to kill us all the body is made to digest and used natural fats as animal fats, but anything that is quimical enhanced is not taken by the body the same way, actually it clogs arteries more and the body can not used them like it does its own fat or animal fats when digested or manufactured by the liver.

learn people trans fat substitutes are dangerous.

[edit on 28-12-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
www.latimes.com...

In a 4-month study at the University of Alberta presented in March at a scientific meeting, obese rats fed a diet enriched with vaccenic acid -- a naturally occurring trans fat found in milk and yogurt -- had significant reductions in total cholesterol, LDL (or "bad") cholesterol and triglycerides.

The researchers reported that a key benefit of vaccenic acid is its ability to reduce the production of chylomicrons -- small particles of fat, protein and cholesterol formed in the gut that transport fats to various tissues of the body.

Like humans, obese rats produce too many chylomicrons, which raises lipids in the bloodstream. After 16 weeks of consuming vaccenic acid-enriched chow, however, the levels of chylomicrons dropped by more than half.

Now I am listening to some really good whale and dolphin binaurals right now and have no intention to do the research, that I did before, because its been reported in the papers for a long long time all the studies that show that various types of fats that they have demonized are better for you than their alternatives.

This entire fat thing is NWO codex alimenatirus, and while shortening and lard may not be good, butter is better than non-hydrogentated anything, and fat is absolutely essential to your diet, to feeling full on time, for intestine and brain health and also to combat bad colosterol levels.

You're in the matrix. Wake up.

So this non-scientific link will say what I've read in news papers about science studies and also some of the less bougth off alternative health authors and writers, that I've read. Eat natural, eat healthy, in balanced and in moderation, and do not allow them to peddle their flase nutrition down your throats, its poison, including their non-hydrogenated crapola. Olive oil, and butter and natural balance in diet is good, along with a certain amount of fats.

radio.weblogs.com...

And you thought butter was bad for you? Silly people!

One of the most healthy whole foods you can include in your diet is butter. "What?!" I can hear many of you saying, "Isn't butter bad for you? I thought margarine and spreads were better because they're low in saturated fat and cholesterol?" Be not deceived folks! Butter is truly better than margarine or other vegetable spreads. Despite unjustified warnings about saturated fat from well-meaning, but misinformed, nutritionists, the list of butter's benefits is impressive indeed:

Vitamins
Butter is a rich source of easily absorbed vitamin A, needed for a wide range of functions in the body, from maintaining good vision, to keeping the endocrine system in top shape. Butter also contains all the other fat-soluble vitamins (E, K, and D).

Minerals
Butter is rich in trace minerals, especially selenium, a powerful antioxidant. Ounce for ounce, butter has more selenium per gram than either whole wheat or garlic. Butter also supplies iodine, needed by the thyroid gland (as well as vitamin A, also needed by the thyroid gland).

Fatty Acids
Butter has appreciable amounts of butyric acid, used by the colon as an energy source. This fatty acid is also a known anti-carcinogen. Lauric acid, a medium chain fatty acid, is a potent antimicrobial and antifungal substance. Butter also contains conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) which gives excellent protection against cancer. Range-fed cows produce especially high levels of CLA as opposed to "stall fed" cattle. It pays, then, to get your butter from a cow that has been fed properly. Butter also has small, but equal, amounts of omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, the so-called essential fatty acids.

Glycospingolipids
These are a special category of fatty acids that protect against gastrointestinal infections, especially in the very young and the elderly. Children, therefore, should not drink skim or low fat milk. Those that do have higher rates of diarrhea than those that drink whole milk.

Cholesterol
Despite all of the misinformation you may have heard, cholesterol is needed to maintain intestinal health, but is also needed for brain and nervous system development in the young. Again, this emphasizes the need for cholesterol-rich foods for children. Human breast milk is extremely high in saturated fat and cholesterol.

Now, there is a thing about being one of the many various types of teh zillions of different names for vegetarians, this still eliminate the need for whole fats in your diet, and the kind nature makes, not the kind the bloodlines laboratories make. I will stay with dairy though too.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Thanks for bringing that information, I was looking for it myself, I research a lot and one of the biggest myth is that artificial, manipulated and manufactured Fat are more dangerous to human consumption and health that natural fats will ever be.

If what you eat have words that you can no even pronounce them is artificial and man made.

Butter unsalted with cream and milk should be the only ingredients in the list.

All those butter and margarine substitutes out there are nothing short of plastic.

People needs to understand that the body is made to handle natural fats, but is not made to handle manufactured ones.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
For the question if Are Trans Fats Substitutes Just as Unhealthy? the truth will set you free.

With new restrictions on their use, trans fats are fast on their way out of favor with the American public. But are replacements for trans fats any healthier?

Artificial trans fats, which are used to extend foods’ shelf life and enhance their flavor, have been removed from many products and are even to be banned in New York City restaurants because of increasing concerns about their cholesterol raising abilities.

But one type of fat that is becoming a go-to replacement for trans fats may not be much better. New research has shown that while trans fats raises levels of low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, so-called bad-cholesterol, their common replacement, interesterified fats, lower levels of heart-healthy high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol and raise blood sugar levels.

Trans fats exist naturally in small amounts in dairy products and meat. Artery-clogging artificial trans fats used in deep-frying, baked goods and other foods are made by adding hydrogen to vegetable oil, causing the oil to solidify.

Interesterified fats are also manufactured, but this process changes the chemical makeup of liquid oils to make a solid polyunsaturated fat. These fats seem to be a suitable replacement for trans fats in many cases as they have similar properties. However, though interesterified fats do not increase LDL cholesterol, they may have other serious consequences.

Learn about your fats, I mean the natural, the nasty manufactured and the ugly man made.

www.righthealth.com...

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I think its good that Calif banned Trans fats.

Its a lot easier to burn non trans fat fryer oil in a diesel engine.

Those dang trans fat oils turn solid when cold.
but many non trans fat oils can be burned just by warming them and running them through the engine.

Plus non trans fat oils have to be changed more often so there will be a bigger fuel supply for us that burn used cooking oil in diesels.

There is nothing better than donut oil for smell.

Any bakery that wants to increase sales just needs to give there old cooking oil away to people that burn it in diesels.
People that smell these diesels will want to run and buy a dozen fresh hot donuts.
This is why grocery stores pipe the fumes from there bakery into the store.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
i am a huge fan of natural whole foods, which, on extremely limited budget, are hard to come by. butter- which i will only use, is 2+ dollars a lb while hydrogenated oil- ie margarine is often 2lbs for a dollar or even cheaper. an uneducated person with mouths to fed looking at limited cash would think margarine the better deal- definitely not the better value.

i remember the food subsidies that bought off surplus healthy foods and provided those in food boxes to the poor- butter, dry eggs,flour, sugar, veg oil, dry milk, honey, rice. even the much-maligned government cheese-salty yes, but still made with dairy.

this practice abruptly changed during gulf war I. or shortly thereafter. now replaced by margarine, fake cheese, smaller amount of rice shored up by boxed mac n cheese/hamburger helper, no eggs, no milk- pop or koolaid or minimal juice "drinks" as replacement, no honey or sugar- since cereal offerings now have too much fake sugar already. no flour, rarely oil- prepared foods full of frankenfoodstuff and chemical nightmares are the norm- generally large quantities of canned chili and a few off brand soups and sketti-o's. and only one can each veg/fruit per person, in my area is the usda allotment for a week worth of emergency food. and nonsense items stores get tax break for dumping low-sale high end items, mainly condiments- one time was told to choose two and only choices were chipotle capers, high end cocktail sauce that normally sold 5 bucks a bottle, or mint sauce (used by some ppl for lamb). wtf??? not food bank's fault... they told to "sell" the stuff.

basically it tells me the amount spent in subsidies hasn't changed but focus has- from healthy folk-farmers and workers, to weak and feeble- farm workers, working poor, unemployed- in body and mind- easy to point and fat ppl and say hey they look like they getting MORE than enuff, let's cut even more supports... when the foods the very poor have access to are the ones causing obesity and mental dullness, among other things... pricews of fresh produce are way up where i am, and dairy. mac n cheese n jumbo bag of french fried taters way down. why can i buy processed greasy chemicalized potatoes cheaper than fresh ones??? dumb 'em down, weaken 'em, prevent 'em from risin' up...

to me, a little consumer protection law brought about by the industry and consumers, is a GOOD thing... nuthin' to do with t'other. let's make msg labelling happen too! i'm severerly allergic and when taken out to lunch- can't afford on my own- hate the headache nausea vomiting after from msg.
(my own kitchen? butter, small amounts of sugar, raw honey (not around toddlers/babies!!!), and cook from scratch whenever possible and buy meat from butcher that slaughters his own.. and animals fed veg/grass/grain only. unfortunately have younger folk in household wjo were never taught to cook beyond- microwave n take-n-bake... sigh. opening new world to them lol. were AMAZED homemade can be BETTER than store-bought/fast food and have learned the value of a lunchbox!!!)

XL5

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
McD's fries before the 1990s got thier taste from seven percent cottonseed oil and 93 percent beef tallow, then after that they switched to veg oil and had to add secret ingredients. Who knows what odd chemicals are used to get that taste just right or rather, not close enough.

McD's and NewYork fries are not anywhere near as good since the switch. They should offer a choice FOR THE PEOPLE and then do studies, show the people and let THEM decide.

I really think toilet paper is next, you will have to use three seashells and tacobell will not be tacobell anymore....the movie Demolition man is a view into the future.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
i thought that already went into affect...hmm..whatevs...it'll probly make food taste worse and prices go higher...

We had a law passed last november i think that limits how many pigs/chickens a farmer can have...dunno went it went into affect but eggs went from $1.49/dozen to $2.59/dozen last month and today it went down to $2.39/dozen

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem

yes they are poison, yes I get that part. But with respect to the government telling you what to do, so what. The point here is the government should not be telling us what to eat. Like with the health care, this is just one more step to the government controlling our lives.

I understand your not wanting a supervisor for your personal, 'habits". But I'm not making the connection between them trying to eliminate an unhealthy diet for their citizens, or them being, "controlling".

They're going to give you healthy food! Such "controll"! Oh know!

D

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Police state?

Try to think of it as correcting a wrong. It should have never been permitted to be put in our food products to begin with.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
i know exactly what you are talking about at mcdonalds the fries used to be way better
now they use some new no transfat franken oil in my area mcdonald's fries taste ok but they go right thru me without being digested i am guessing they use
some artificial crap like olesta which is un digestable

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join