It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Discussion on the Possibilities of other Senses.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I have always believed that human beings have more than 5 senses. One of the main ones I am convinced of having is the Vibrational Sense. I think that this plays into the sense of hearing and the ears themselves, like how the smell and tasting senses are connected.

So about this sense of feeling vibes... I think there has been discussion of this on other threads, so just a quick summary would be: the ability to sense vibes of different kinds. Like one may be able to sense aggressive vibes, or peaceful vibes, stuff like that. Or disruptive vibes that disrupt your flow of thought, ever had that one?

My question is, I was wondering if any of you had any proposed senses that aren't in the usual 5?

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I'm also interested in hearing what everyone here has to say.
My friends used to get a good laugh at me because I said things like "I got some bad vibes". I always considered it a valid point, most people don't pay attention enough to make it valid for themselves.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I can sense when certain people are going to call me. I've been doing it for years. Also, I find it happens more often the closer I am with the person.

I also find myself saying "Speak of the Devil," regularly as people I am talking about often show up during or shortly after discussing them.

[edit on 22-12-2009 by Namaste]

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Everyone is empathic.
It is not "psychic"
Some are to more of a degree than others

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by CaninE.G

Every time I cook a hot pocket in the microwave... I go back and sit down on my couch, usually watching some tv. Then miraculously and mysteriously, right before the microwave beeps... I have the urge to get up and check on it.... usually right when I get there it beeps and my hot pocket is done.

On a more serious note... try researching Kabbalah... not the religion

[edit on 22-12-2009 by xX aFTeRm4Th Xx]

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Namaste

thats only coincidence claim so far.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonsmusic

I would have to say from personal experience, extensive research done on my own, and the research of many reputable sources, I have to agree.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Vibrational Sense.

Understand that a "sense" is not an external phenomenon. It's a manner of experience. If there is a croissant on the table, you can taste it, you can feel it, you can bang it on the table and hear it, etc. But you have no "croissant sense."

Similarly, there is no "vibration sense." You can feel vibrations up against your skin, you can hear them in the air, you can see them in the water, etc.

A sense is not an external thing. It's a way of experiencing. So sure, you might be able to experience vibrations and croissants in manners other than the conventional 5 senses, but those "extra" senses probably won't be best described by listing external phenomenon to be experienced.

I was wondering if any of you had any proposed
senses that aren't in the usual 5?

If we did...how would we express them? Could you describe to the nature of the "seeing" sense to a blind person? Could you describe the nature or the "hearing" sense to a deaf person?

How would you describe a sense to someone who hadn't already experienced it?

[edit on 22-12-2009 by LordBucket]

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Namaste

I would have to say from personal experience, extensive research done on my own, and the research of many reputable sources, I have to agree.

Cool.
It's rare that people on this site agree to agree

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   

I would have to agree with you. Happy? You get the experience twice in one night.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by LordBucket

Vibrational Sense.

Understand that a "sense" is not an external phenomenon. It's a manner of experience. If there is a croissant on the table, you can taste it, you can feel it, you can bang it on the table and hear it, etc. But you have no "croissant sense."

Similarly, there is no "vibration sense." You can feel vibrations up against your skin, you can hear them in the air, you can see them in the water, etc.

A sense is not an external thing. It's a way of experiencing. So sure, you might be able to experience vibrations and croissants in manners other than the conventional 5 senses, but those "extra" senses probably won't be best described by listing external phenomenon to be experienced.

If we did...how would we express them? Could you describe to the nature of the "seeing" sense to a blind person? Could you describe the nature or the "hearing" sense to a deaf person?

How can you say there is no virbrational sense?
WTF?
Everything resonates.
Everything is a sound.
Even matter!
Physical , human bodies, they are made of molecules that vibrate at a certain frequency.
They vibrate at such a frequency that they become solids.

Standar tuning frequency is 440 above A mhz.
But the solfeggio in 432 sounds a lot better.
Everything is frequency and frequency picks up vibrations.
Beach Boys

good vibrations

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Your "Sixth sense" allows you to do everything your 5 senses don't do. which in the big picture, is one thing. hence the 6th.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Well, I'm fairly certain that Humans have a well-developed electromagnetic and/or radio sense.

This could account for many claims of telepathy or psychic sense — the conveyance of information across time and space between Humans without technological means.

Is there any evidence of hitherto unexplored electromagnetic or radio perception?
Sure there is.

There are anecdotal accounts of some individuals hearing music in their heads, music that is not only inaudible but that is completely original and unknown in composition. I mean, a great many composers cite "music in their heads" as the source of their compositions.

This, of course, may be the normal creative process of the right brain.

However, there are other less-easily-rationalized phenomena that come perilously close to requiring electromagnetic or radio senses to explain them.

For example — and this phenomenon has been reported throughout history — there are individuals who have heard meteors zipping across the night sky. The noise has been described as a static hiss or the shredding of paper.

Interestingly, those who "hear" such things most often hear the noise first, then look around for the source before seeing the accompanying light flashes in the sky. That is to say, they are alerted by the noise before making a visual identification.

Here's the physical problem with hearing meteors: At the time a meteor enters the uppermost reaches of the Earth's atmosphere, they start burning up at an altitude of some 65 miles. Most such "shooting stars," which range in size from a mustard seed to a small pebble, are consumed within a second or two. Some may last a few seconds longer, depending on their size and elemental composition, but the vast majority of meteors burn up high in the atmosphere.

IF the atmosphere was dense enough to conduct sound at an altitude of 65 miles — which it isn't — the sound of a fiery meteor would require a little over 5-1/2 minutes to reach an observer on the Earth's surface.

Yet, our observers report hearing the sound and seeing the flashing streak of light simultaneously.

Impossible.

Well, "impossible" unless the observer is equipped with a very sensitive radio receiver capable of detecting the RF energy generated by an ionized meteor ripping through the extreme upper atmosphere. Radio waves travel at the speed of light — so a properly-equipped observer could see and hear such an apparition simultaneously.

Thing is, these observers are not equipped with radio equipment at the moment of their sightings. Most often, they are completely unprepared for the noise and the accompanying flash of the meteor, as are typical observers.

The only explanation is that these aural/visual observers are somehow receiving radio energy by means of some unknown bio-electrical sense.

Some scientists have suggested that persons who both see and hear meteors high in the sky may have some unknown hearing defect that makes them sensitive to radio noise.

But, if this was a biological defect, these observers would hear much more than mere ionized meteors, wouldn't they? Wouldn't they occasionally hear radio broadcasts of sporting events, weather reports, music, et cetera, from much stronger and closer RF transmission sources?

Well, perhaps not, if their bio-receiver was tuned to a particular radio frequency far out of the range of manmade radio broadcasts. Interestingly, such observers don't report "hearing things" out of the ordinary aside from shooting stars.

This is exciting to think about, as it opens up a lot of possibilities for explaining weird phenomena such as telepathy, clairvoyance, and other "psychic" ability — it may be an undiscovered and thoroughly unexplored area of Human electromagnetic sensitivity... Literally a "sixth sense"

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 12/22/2009 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Namaste

I would have to agree with you. Happy? You get the experience twice in one night.

Dude, that was hilarious.
We must be on similar wavelengths.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by LordBucket

You could definitely express them easily. You just have to use very descriptive words and all that. Like I can explain how it is possible to sense vibes. but, COME ON! It's self-explanatory in my opinion.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   

It is very possible. Everything has a wavelength, and clearly ours shares some sort of similiarity.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   

How can you say there is no virbrational sense?

I can say it for exactly the reason I already gave: senses are not external things. Senses are a manner of experiencing.

Again...just because you see a croissant on the table, does not mean you have a croissant sense. And, if you feel a vibration, that doesn't mean you have a vibration sense. You may experience vibrations in any of a number of ways, but those experiences are internal, not external.

The seeing, the hearing, the feeling, the sensing is not the external thing being experienced.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
In fact, here's a 2001 article I found at NASA discussing "electrophonic meteor sounds," which have puzzled Science for centuries:

Listening to Leonids: A Look at Electrophonic Meteor Sounds

Oh, yes, physicists have theories of what causes people to hear meteors at incredible distances.

But they can't reproduce the effect and they can't explain why all people don't hear meteors.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Our physical senses are interpreted by our brain and quite often the conclusions we arrive at are formed by more than one physical sense.

An easy example of that is to blindfold somebody and then get them to eat a piece of potato while you hold a slice of apple under their nose. They will be convinced they are eating an apple.

Our senses would be meaningless if we hadn't had experiences that match what we are currently seeing, hearing etc

Our extra sensory perception is much more difficult to pin down because it is on it's own, without the support and backup of our other senses. This does not however mean that it is not real.

If you learn to listen to your hunches, gut feelings, inner perceptions or whatever you want to call it. You will discover that most times your feeling are accurate.

The only way we can feel confident with our extra sense is to exercise it and look for confirmation.

Over time you will learn to trust yourself. Once you acknowledge your sixth sense it will change the way you see life forever.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   

You could definitely express them easily.
COME ON! It's self-explanatory in my opinion.

Ok. Since it's so easy, pretend I am blind. Explain to me the experience of seeing in a way that I will know what it's like to see.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join