It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Psychopompes"...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I'm sorry, I don't know the translation of this word in english. Psychopompes are persons who stole and absorb the energies of people, sometimes to kill them.

Do you know more about them ? Are they real ? Is there a connection between them and the vampyres ?

Thanks to tell me also, if someone know, the translation of this word in english (I tryied Psychopumps but It doesn't sound well...and of course ALTAVISTA BABELFISH don't have any translation for this word !)

[Edited on 23-5-2004 by Nans DESMICHELS]

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 06:07 PM
link   
These people are also referred to as "psychic vampires".

All I know is what Ive read, and I havent read a whole lot, but heres a few sites:

www.llewellynjournal.com...

healing.about.com...

www.psychic-abilities.us.com...

I personally wouldnt doubt that these people are real, even if it is involuntary.

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I know what psychic vampires are, you run into them a lot more than you think, people arnt even aware they are doing it most of the time. You can tell one because after you are around them for a bit, you feel very emotionally drained and tired. Over time a person like this can make you sick. Thier aura and yours interact and instead of give and recieve, they often just recieve energy and dont give it back. Its like a black hole that just sucks everything in around them on an energy level, often times it will surface as serious insecurity issues on behalf of the psychic vampire. Most people arnt even aware they do it.

I've ran into a lot of them over time. Comes with my interest in the paranormal and where it takes me.

[Edited on 23-5-2004 by Darkblade71]

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Kind of makes you wonder if you are a psychic vampire yourself lol..

I know there are techniques out there to test for a psychic vampire, and ways for you to drain other people.

Any psychic vamps on the board care to comment here? I know yall are out there

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Thanks for these links. I believe in the existence of psychic vampires. I think I know some.

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Hmmm... are there any other ways to see if people are psychic vampires? apart from being emotionally and energetically drained? And if you are a psy vamp what do you do

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Not sure how you pulled "Psychic Vampires" out of psychopomps. It is a clearly defined term. For example:

\Psy"cho*pomp\, n. [Gr. ?; psychh` the soul + ? to send: cf. F. psychopompe.] (Myth.) A leader or guide of souls . --J. Fiske.
Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, � 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

It has, since the time of the ancient Greeks, meant, "a conductor of souls to the afterworld."

One might think of the movie "The Crow" for instance. The crow that follows Brandon Lee around and turns out to be his sort-of protector/guide, would be considered a psychopomp. The crow doesn't feed off his psychic energy, rather, it helps conduct the man's soul back and forth between this world and the afterworld.

Furthermore, a psychopomp does not have to be an animal. Think of that short lady in the "Poltergeist" movies. You know, the one that kept saying when to go into the light and when not to go into the light. TADA!
She is the very definition of a psychopomp in that she was constantly acting as a guide for the little girl's soul.

I hope this clears up some confusion.

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Well, if you read Nans first post, he/she says that that dont know the english equivalent.. So he/she gave a definition of the word they were thinking of, and that is where I got psychic vampire.

persons who stole and absorb the energies of people, sometimes to kill them.

Doesnt sound much like what you described, Hamburglar.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by shidge.
Well, if you read Nans first post, he/she says that that dont know the english equivalent.. So he/she gave a definition of the word they were thinking of, and that is where I got psychic vampire.

And clearly, he/she had an incorrect definition of the word he/she used. Granted the word psychopompes may be different in spelling (and language) from the English word psychopomps (note: from ancient Greek, which is likely much older than his/her native language); however, the odds that these words are false cognates are infinitessimal.

(For those unsure, a cognate is a word in one language that looks the same as a word in another language, and has the same meaning. An example would be "photograph" in English and "la fotografia" in Spanish. A false cognate is a word that looks the same as a word in another language, but does not have the same meaning.)

In looking at the etomology of the word, it is rooted in ancient Greek. Because of its ancient ancestry, and the way languages ingrained themselves on other languages throughout history, it is nearly impossible to think that the two, nearly identical words, have different meanings. Therefore, regardless of what he/she may have heard somewhere else, the word means (with 99.9% certainty), exactly what I said it means, "a conductor of souls to the afterworld."

If he/she was looking for the word that means a Psychic Vampire, then he/she would have asked that. However, Nans presented a word and a definition. I merely pointed out that a pshycic vampire is an entirely different creature from a psychopomp, regardless of language. The point is still valid and the clarification is necessary. What precisely does Nans want to discuss? Psychopomps or psychic vampires? Two different entities indeed.

P.S. Don't sleep on the Hamburglar's linguistic and rhetorical abilities. He knows a lot more than just "robble robble."

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Well he/she didnt seem to complain or say anything about "Thats not what I was talking about".

So I think its safe to say he/she was looking for psychic vampires

Thanks though.

[Edited on 26-5-2004 by shidge.]

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 09:56 AM
link   
You are right shidge. Nans seems to be satisfied with the info about psychic vampires. However, it doesn't hurt to make sure everyone is on the same page. Which is the reason for the English lessons before.

I am now very curious where he/she heard this term and how it came to be associated with something is not. Perhaps he/she is confusing the word with another, similar word? I don't know. I only know what a psychopomp is.

Hopefully it was helpful to some and intriguing to all. I know, as I mentioned, I am interested. In fact, the word "Psychopompes" in the thread heading is what brought me here in the first place. Not many people know that word, and fewer folks use it.

Nans... what made you ask about this topic (either psychopomps or psychic vampires)? Just curious, or did you need some specific information?

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by HamburglarNans... what made you ask about this topic (either psychopomps or psychic vampires)? Just curious, or did you need some specific information?

No, it's me who have made a language abuse. In french, "pomper" mean "to pump" and also "to absorb". So, in my mind, a psychopompe was someone who absorb psychoenergy.

But, I've forgotten the other sense of psychopompe (unless I played magic gathering for a while), and, take care the explanation is a bit hardcore...

In french, the word "pompe" mean also : Serious. The word "pompes-funebres" means, a funeral enterprise.

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I've always considered the spirits who congregate when a person is about to pass on to be psychopomps. Even been present at a deathbed and felt an invisible crowd about you? Most of them leave with the departed, however.

new topics

top topics

join