It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Internet will be taken down when we need it most

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by ProRipp

Thanks for the link to the BBC Article. So the average Chinese Person can no longer have a website, it's like all business
that sucks big time (and scarey).

Another thing I've noticed, I've been a avid Internet user since almost the beginning. You use to be able to get all kinds of really cool free ebooks and clip art.

Year by year that is shrinking up, little by little.

Knowledge is a very dangerous thing to TPTB and I'm sure if planting their disinformation agents in various sites doesn't work, they will progress further.

This whole thread is very interesting.

[edit on 20-12-2009 by ofhumandescent]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by bpg131313
reply to post by v3_exceed

Thanks for your input in this thread. I've found it most interesting and informative. As you are up in Canada and I am here in the Seattle area, the Olympics is a huge thing for this area, and Vancouver in specific. Should something happen, and I'm not saying that it will, but should something happen (not even at the Olympics itself but in Canada & the US), is there some way that the NSA or some other agency could isolate an entire region, or large area, effectively blinding the people of what's going on?

Maybe they don't need to take the whole system down, but rather just chunks of it. After all, would it matter if people in Texas knew what was going on in Washington and British Columbia, but not the people in the affected area? I'm just curious. I'm sure our governments have thought about ways to isolate and quarantine information within a region. If we can think it up, certainly they already have.

Hopefully NOTHING negative happens during the Olympics, but it's something that has me nervous for some reason, and I fear a shutdown of the internet in this area to prevent negative news from getting out or being shared until the governments have already made their moves.

These are some good points. A large amount of data runs through the Peer 1 NOC in West Vancouver. When they had a underground fire last year many segments within Van were very slow. None were entirely off line except for what Peer 1 was actually hosting there.

In Canada, well, western Canada TAC and VAC are the big carriers. There are many smaller carriers that are up from the states, but heading East you generally have to go over one of these lines. I think they could greatly reduce the efficiency of the network, saturate the remaining lines and cause many network timeouts, but it wouldn't actually bring the whole thing down.

In the 70's a group called Ledcor ran fiber across most of Canada. They then leased these lines when the need for them arose. So In the grander scheme of things these fiber conduits are where much of the traffic goes. These days, there are many more lines run and many different avenues for the data to travel. So even cutting these fiber lines would only cause the traffic to shunt to different routes.

Again, best guess would be to say that in a crisis, they could slow things down a bunch, but not stop it entirely.

..Ex

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by set_coo
everyone on this site needs to start a militia. EVERY citizen needs to join. b/c they have millions of foreign troops just waiting...

BTW, the 2nd Amendment Rights mentioning militias has been specified to mean that every single Citizen who has the mental & physical capability to use Arms is indeed already a member of the militia. That was the original intent behind the inclusion of each Citizen having the Right to own/bare Arms. In short..."I have guns. I am Militia."

There's no way they can take down the whole internet. It's far too spread out with too many nodes. They may cripple it but never kill it. Besides, People will merely resort to other forms of secret communication among themselves, just as the Freedom Fighters in any war have done, even before internet was invented.

Plus add to the fact that they're vastly outnumbered! The entire personnel roster of the whole of the Armed Forces represents only about 2%-3% of the total population of America. Granted, only a fraction (but a significant fraction, nonetheless) owns/bares Arms, "they" are still vastly outnumbered by People who won't engage in "conventional warfare" as the military is trained to use...Partisan tactics, and so forth.

If it's a war they want, it's a war they can't win. Too many People already KNOW...Once knowledge is gained, it can't be taken away. The internet has already been in place too long to suppress the knowledge already discovered

Originally posted by TSZodiac
CB radios are a must - very inexpensive and can be as convenient as a cell phone. There are some very good Walkie Talkies for short distance communication as well...

Ham radios have much better range, but CB's can be linked like relays to "network" news & info across great distances. Also, since it's Citizens' Band, FCC can't require licensing for them anymore. It used to be that way, but the Courts struck down CB licensing requirements as Unconstitutional. This is due to the Supreme Court ruling that no Lawful Right can be subjected to regulation, legislation, licensing or other taxing schemes: The reasoning for this ruling is because the Supreme Court knew that any Right that could be so regulated can be literally "taxed out of existence" & therefore to be left out of government influence.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by v3_exceed

Thanks for your clarification. Now I don't need to be thinking about the possibility of it happening. I think a lot of us have this internal nagging feeling like, "Well what else is going to go wrong?" so we are all on edge looking around to see what it might be so that we can mentally prepare for it. Thanks again.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by jameshawkings

In reality it's a false flag attack by the CIA (financed by the Global Elite), they need to take the Internet down to stop 'Truth' films from spreading around and stop us from researching vaccines ourselves. We are the enemy and this is our main form of communication. We're about to be attacked with toxic vaccines, it will be an easy job scaring us into receiving the vaccine as long as we cannot communicate with each other. Knowledge is Power!

[edit on 19-12-2009 by jameshawkings]

Seriously? No seriously? Just a bunch of conjecture and fear mongering NO links to back up anything but a possible motive given which is (drum roll please) TO STOP US FROM SPREADING TRUTH FILMS.

Because naturally should H1N1 mutate and become alot more deadly the first thing I am gonna want to do is go online and watch youtube to find out the truth of why I have caught a deadly virus.

We are already on a CT forum and thus we should already be ready for such things.

The idea of this fear mongering this OH NOW THEY"RE GONNA TAKE THE WEB FROM US craziness is clear fear mongering.

It is one thing to kill a web site or server. The ability to take down the net is not an achievable task. To spread this kind of nonsense speaks to your lack of understanding of telecommunications.

Learn more about it here

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 03:44 AM
link   
I wish all of you keep a lot of our culture in their computer. Now you can do it for free : and it is legal ! But not for long !

I WISH ALL OF YOU TO DOWNLOAD THIS FREE TOOL OKawix

Okawix lets you download the whole content of Wikipedia, with or without images, so that you can browse it offline:
Okawix is available in 253 languages and includes sister projects of the Wikimedia Foundation (Wikisource, Wiktionary, Wikiquote, Wikibooks).

PLEASE DO IT NOW !

AND SPREAD THE WORD !

WE HAVE TO SPREAD OUR CULTURE ! OR THEY WILL WIN !

PLEASE DO IT NOW !

AND SPREAD THE WORD !

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 04:04 AM
link   
I don't think we ever really NEED the internet...or any other form of communication(in the sense of communication as in forewarning of events so on and so forth, not BASIC social communication....) for that matter. We're all human and we all can connect in to that state of consciousness and become AWARE...if only we open our eyes...

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zot Twady
Maybe it's time for folks to get their amateur radio license and get organized?
They recently dropped the Morse Code requirement.
When phones and internet are down this may be the only long-range communication that the masses will have access to.

At that point forget about the license, just broadcast that ____.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by jameshawkings
When the 'mutation' occurs and the 'forced vaccinations' begin, the Internet will be taken down by the Conficker virus, which we will be told was created by the 'Iranian Cyber Army'. The war on Iran will begin.

In reality it's a false flag attack by the CIA (financed by the Global Elite), they need to take the Internet down to stop 'Truth' films from spreading around and stop us from researching vaccines ourselves. We are the enemy and this is our main form of communication. We're about to be attacked with toxic vaccines, it will be an easy job scaring us into receiving the vaccine as long as we cannot communicate with each other. Knowledge is Power!

Today's False Flag attack on Twitter is the first step of the 'Iranians attacked the Internet' propaganda. The Rockefeller's hate the Internet!

False Flag Attack on Twitter

As if Iranians would really be stupid enough to write this kind of provocative junk. I just worry that there are a lot of people who are gullible enough to believe this, after watching so much X Factor and Big Brother

"We shall strike if the leader orders, we shall lose our heads if the leader wishes."

"We Control And Manage Internet By Our Power, So Do Not Try To Stimulation Iranian Peoples To"

[edit on 19-12-2009 by jameshawkings]

Thanks for sharing your insider knowledge that only you know. Thank goodness we have so many people who are the sole keepers of secret knowledge here on ATS.

Thanks also for spreading fear and worry this holiday season. May you rot in a deep, dark hell reserved for those with unwarranted self-importance, and the urge to share it all with the world.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 05:13 AM
link   
I'm not saying I completely agree with the OP but the fact that the internet is not centralized wouldn’t stop people with enough power from shutting it down.

It is pretty naive to think it couldn’t be done.

If the "government" or the “elites” really wanted the internet to go away...it undeniably would...

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Your point makes no sense at all. Your makes me think that you have no idea whatsoever on how the internet is held together.

The internet is not owned by one company, or even company, it is run by MANY different kinds of organizations.

No one actually owns the Internet, and no single person or organization controls the Internet in its entirety. More of a concept than an actual tangible entity, the Internet relies on a physical infrastructure that connects networks to other networks. There are many organizations, corporations, governments, schools, private citizens and service providers that all own pieces of the infrastructure, but there is no one body that owns it all. There are, however, organizations that oversee and standardize what happens on the Internet and assign IP addresses and domain names, such as the National Science Foundation, the Internet Engineering Task Force, ICANN, InterNIC and the Internet Architecture Board.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by DwaynetheSpecious

Complexity is relative to knowledge and power.

The idea that because the internet is not centralized it could not be shut down is extremely naive.

If TPTB wanted it gone…it would simply be a matter of time.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jezus

The idea that because the internet is not centralized it could not be shut down is extremely naive.

You would NEVER be able to should down the whole internet, not today. A couple of years ago you would be able to do that, but today it would not be possible. To much is located in different countries.

Do you actually know what you are talking about?

The internet would never just disappear, no one owns it. Furthermore, if someone closed parts of the internet a new form for "gateway" would just appear. This already exists, freenetproject.org... totally anonymous internet.

[edit on 20-12-2009 by DwaynetheSpecious]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 05:42 AM
link   
I'll post again.

Topics like this shows how #ing redicules ATS has become. People just make up new topics without having NO CLUE OR IDEA on what they are talking about. This is so sad. Everyone doubting other will be labelled as DEBUNKERS and all stories will be twisted and made into something about UFO, aliens and NWO topics. There was a time where ATS was an alright place. You could discuss on a high level and say what you meant with getting labelled. Today most of the topics just scream: "SEE ME!!! SE ME!!! I SAW SOMETHING!!!! ME!!!".

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by DwaynetheSpecious
You would NEVER be able to should down the whole internet, not today.

Your right, I couldn't do it.

But to pretend that no one could do it is just extremely naive.

You don't have to destroy every website to destroy the system and prevent the majority of people from accessing information.

I’m not saying it is going to happen, but if the right people wanted it to happen…it would happen, absolutely no doubt.

You can say you think it is unlikely, but to pretend it is impossible is ridiculous.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 06:16 AM
link   

You do not seem to understand how the internet works. To shut it down the entire world would have to get rid of all the phone lines.. ALL OF THEM! Power lines too. Basically everything.

You can transmit data on phone lines , power lines, via radio waves, via laser, it is not something you can flip a switch to turn on or off.

You can utilize filters but that can be worked around. You can shut down a site but then people will use other sites. You can take over all the hardlines in the world and folks would switch to cell.

The internet is an amazing thing that "TPTB" have no control over. This is why it is disliked by folks who used to hold a monopoly on knowledge and power. If the colleges knew what they were doing back in the day they never would of signed on. The web makes paying for education obsolete.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by DwaynetheSpecious
You would NEVER be able to should down the whole internet, not today.

Your right, I couldn't do it.

But to pretend that no one could do it is just extremely naive.

You don't have to destroy every website to destroy the system and prevent the majority of people from accessing information.

I’m not saying it is going to happen, but if the right people wanted it to happen…it would happen, absolutely no doubt.

You can say you think it is unlikely, but to pretend it is impossible is ridiculous.

The right people? WTF?!? You are talking about websites which makes NO SENSE again. The internet has nothing to the with websites particularly, its just one form of getting data.

The so-called "right" people you are talking about would simply be able to shut down the internet, no, but parts of it, yes. If the internet was shut down in parts of the world it would also mean they would have to shutdown all phones. You could simply have a foreign phone with a modem and then connect through that and then again get your lovely internet.

Seriusly... get the facts right here, this is getting stupid.

[edit on 20-12-2009 by DwaynetheSpecious]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Theoretically speaking...all it takes is a globally enforced law to ban FILE SHARING(labeled as "copyright infringement") and the internet is effectively disabled....easy as that.

Also, if it weren't theoretically possible, why would there be proposed legislation that enables the president to declare "cybersecurity emergency" and shut down "compromised" systems on both private and public networks?

If they can shut down parts of it...they can surely shut down ALL of it...

[edit on 20-12-2009 by Agree2Disagree]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agree2Disagree
Theoretically speaking...all it takes is a globally enforced law to ban FILE SHARING(labeled as "copyright infringement") and the internet is effectively disabled....easy as that.

All it takes? A law like that would not get passed all over the world and would certainly not stop file-sharing in any way. It's not as easy as that. To say stuff like that shows you really have no real knowledge about the structure of the internet.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 06:39 AM
link   

You misunderstand...in the event of A GLOBAL POWER...ONE GLOBAL GOVERNMENT...a law like that could VERY WELL be passed...AND ENFORCED...in that kind of circumstance...who is to say what could and couldn't happen.....they could make eating a burrito illegal if they really wanted to.....

Sure it may not SHUT IT DOWN...but you'd definitely pay the price for BREAKING THE LAW...

edit to add: i guess this article is written by more people who don't understand the structure of the internet....

www.networkworld.com...

[edit on 20-12-2009 by Agree2Disagree]

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join