It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran Forces Occupy Iraqi Oil Well, Border Guard Says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Iran Forces Occupy Iraqi Oil Well, Border Guard Says

Dec. 18 (Bloomberg) -- Iranian forces yesterday entered Iraqi territory at dawn, and occupied well number 4 in the East Maysan field in al-Fakah region, 450 kilometers (280 miles) south of Baghdad, Border Guard General Zafer Nazmi said. The Iranian forces positioned tanks around the well.

The general’s comments couldn’t be immediately verified independently.

“They positioned tanks around it and dug trenches,” Nazmi said by phone from Basra. “They are still there, they raised the flag.”

Bloomberg

Well, this is certainly interesting because it falls on the heels of a major OPEC meeting. I have also seen a major uptick of posts regarding heightened Iran/Israel tensions - this will certainly add fuel to that fire.

What is odd is that apparently the oil well is dry - so why why would they be there? Regardless, keep your eye on oil prices in the short term!

Any thoughts?

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   
well, I once read a scenario that if Israel/USA attack Iran,
Iranians will take Iraq...

if this story is true it's the proof
this is exactly what could happen...

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Iran would have taken Iraq already, in their war, if not for the US backing Iraq. Everybody wants Iraq, it is the site of ancient Sumer.
ancientneareast.tripod.com...
My own personal theory is they are looking for something buried there. A Stargate perhaps, or an ancient spacecraft. The American government has been pounding the war drums for Iran for a few months now, using the old nuclear thing again I mean, it worked with Iraq, why not use it again on Iran? American people are stupid in that way, they will believe anything we, the MSM tell them, if we tell them enough times.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
from a military aspect it makes sense they would pick a dry well to make their stand... one stray/lucky bullet in the BOP valves of a live well and you'd be incinerated... end game, in a glorious fireball... Scary thing to be up close and personal with a runaway well... why old Red Adair got the big bucks too

but lets look back at recent events... they had a growing internal conflict and seem on the doorstep of civil upheavals ... Surely on orders form the Rahbare Moazzam Iran has gone out of its way to posture and rail against the west... just seized a British Sailing ship right?

it might be they know their days a re numbered, in a real fight Iran wouldn't last a month against the industrial might of the western war machines. all they could do it attempt to destabilize the oil markets... if fear caused a spike in prices say 1,000 per barrel... that would cripple the US... for a time...

[edit on 18-12-2009 by DaddyBare]

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Sounds like they are trying to secure some oil before Isreal attacks there nuke facilities and the like. Bothe sides are prepping for war...

www.foxnews.com...

Israel shuts down all commercial crossings with Gaza

[edit on 18-12-2009 by Grayelf2009]

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Cant say how seriously the market is taking the news... briefly oil was up $1.75 but right now its back down to 1.35 and falling
Maybe the dry well news made everyone rethink their buy panic?

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
This could be the start of a war with Iran.

I just hope it isn't another Gleiwitz incident.

By the way isn't Mahmoud Ahmadinejad at the Copenhagen Summit? (I remember seeing him speaking there. See this video if you don't believe me.)

If he still is at the summit it makes sense for him to strike now because neither the United States or Israel can smart bomb his hotel in Copenhagen.

[edit on 18-12-2009 by Studious]

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Studious

My very first thought.

The giveaway was the fact that the occupying forces were wearing U.S. Army ACUs and tee shirts that say "Kiss me, I'm Iranian!" in English.*

* I Kid! I Kid! It was probably just SAS guys.

[edit on 12/18/2009 by Majic]

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
here's a disconcerting tie in to this story
Iran emergency testing ways to make gasoline
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Could just be a cheap ploy to raise value.
Source

Energy analysts and traders were surprised at the news, which comes days before Iran and Iraq meet fellow members of the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries at a Dec. 22 meeting in Luanda, Angola. Crude oil for January delivery rose as much as $2.04, or 2.8 percent, to $74.69 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange. It traded at $74.58 a barrel at 2:19 p.m. London time.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

at this very moment it looks like the market doesn't care
COMMODITY FUTURES
VALUE CHANGE % CHANGE
Oil 73.01 0.36 0.50
and still falling

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   

BAGHDAD – Iranian troops have crossed into Iraqi territory and seized an oil well that lies in a disputed area along the two countries' southern border, Iraq's deputy foreign Minster said Friday. The deputy minister, Mohammed Haj Mahmoud, said Iranian troops seized oil well No. 4 Thursday night in the al-Fakkah oil field, located about 200 miles (about 320 kilometers) southeast of Baghdad. The oil field is one of Iraq's largest. Oil prices rose slightly after news of the incident. "We are coordinating with the Oil Ministry regarding this issue. This is not the first time that the Iranians have tried to prevent Iraqis from investing in oil fields in border areas. Tomorrow, we might summon the Iranian ambassador to discuss this issue," Mahmoud told The Associated Press. The al-Fakkah field is considered a shared field between Iran and Iraq, meaning both nations are able to pump oil from it, but the Iraqis consider oil well No. 4 theirs.

Source

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grayelf2009
Sounds like they are trying to secure some oil before Isreal attacks there nuke facilities and the like. Bothe sides are prepping for war...

www.foxnews.com...

Israel shuts down all commercial crossings with Gaza

[edit on 18-12-2009 by Grayelf2009]

Actually, it sounds just the opposite to me.

1.) Iran takes over an oil well at dawn on Thursday.

2.) This story US won't stop Israeli strike on Iran: Obama in this thread www.abovetopsecret.com... is released Thursday afternoon.

and...

3.) This story Israel shuts down all commercial crossings with Gaza in this thread www.abovetopsecret.com.../ is released Thursday afternoon.

Now which one comes first? Iran taking over an oil well does…

The story in #2 does say that “sources” says that Obama said this to the Chinese President last month but it’s curious that we didn’t hear about it until after Iran takes over this oil well. Did he really say that then or is it a threat (made just yesterday) to Iran for messing with Iraqi oil wells???

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
...in a real fight Iran wouldn't last a month against the industrial might of the western war machines.
[edit on 18-12-2009 by DaddyBare]

I don't agree... look what is happening in Afghanistan... years have passed and western 'industrial might' is not making any results, quite the opposite...

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by donhuangenaro

I don't agree... look what is happening in Afghanistan... years have passed and western 'industrial might' is not making any results, quite the opposite...

Who said anything about winning a war?

All you have to do these days is have the ability to destroy a country.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by donhuangenaro

Ah but this time its different their own neighbours are lining up for the fight UAE Iraq Pakistan , they even have their own home grown rebel group just itching for the opportunity...They all want in...

top topics

join