It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Glenn Beck caught gold-handed

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I found this segment of 'The Daily Show' hilarious, because every time I see Beck, he is trying to spin together some crazy conspiracy based on the most loosely associated of subjects. This is ironic, because in this clip Jon Stewart takes Beck to task by connecting the dots to postulate that Beck is really all about making money. Sometimes the simplest explanations make the most sense.

Alright, enjoy:

Beck's motivations exposed

With the value of gold on the rise, Jon Stewart was determined to get to the bottom of what may have caused the increase. The likely fanner of these flames: yep, Glenn Beck. After noting that gold goes up when people are panicked or concerned, Stewart sat back and enjoyed the greatest hits from "Beck's hour-long nightly fear-cast." That alone wouldn't be enough to credit Beck for initiating this gold rush, but his role as spokesman for Goldline, an internet site where you buy gold, surely sealed the deal. Stewart recapped: "Glenn Beck is paid by Goldline to drum up interest in gold, which increases value during times of fear; an emotion reinforced nightly on Fox by Glenn Beck." Calling Beck's ethics into question, Stewart finished by stating, "You can't spell 'gold' without G-O-D."

Best,
Skunknuts

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 02:39 AM
link   
I like Glenn Beck quite a bit, and I have a lot of respect for him. He is quite the character, highly informative as well, and he is never afraid to speak-up where most cower in the shadows. He is a very powerful voice for those who have none.

As for Jon Stewart, he can be really funny at times too lol

His recent piece on Al Gore the "Internet Inventor", and the CRU Leak/Hack was amazingly well put together. He was actually one of the few American news personalities actually performing a journalistic duty on that story.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheAgentNineteen

His recent piece on Al Gore the "Internet Inventor", and the CRU Leak/Hack was amazingly well put together. He was actually one of the few American news personalities actually performing a journalistic duty on that story.

Yeah, I agree, Jon Stewart is awesome. I think the video I will post the link to below totally summarizes the solidity of the climate change deniers argument:

Jon Stewart on Anthropogenic Global Warming Debate

Best,
Skunknuts

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Oh wait! I totally forgot, Fox News totally misrepresented what Stewart was saying about that whole 'climate gate' thing. They tried to make it sound like he was ripping on Gore, and agreeing that global warming might not exist. I think you might have forgotten to get your news from a broad array of sources that day (like watching the actual clip), so I'll post it for you so you won't innocently misrepresent the clip in the future:

Jon Stewart on 'climate gate' issue

On the Daily Show Tuesday night, Jon Stewart dug into ClimateGate -- a series of leaked emails between climate scientists which global warming skeptics have latched onto to prove climate change doesn't exist. "Poor Al Gore," Stewart proclaimed, "global warming completely debunked via the very internet you invented." The claim behind ClimateGate is that these hacked emails prove that scientists were hiding evidence against global warming. (See our slideshow of the 7 Biggest Lies About ClimateGate here.) The real story, Stewart says, is not quite so sensational. But the emails do provide fodder for climate change deniers to go wild. Like Sen. Inhofe, who recently proclaimed 2009 "the year in which scientists who question the so-called global warming consensus are being heard." (Or, as he said to Sen. Boxer: "We won, you lost, get a life.") "That guy thinks global warming is debunked every time he drinks a slushy and gets a brain freeze." Stewart said, then pointed out that Inhofe proclaimed victory before the climate emails were even leaked. "But that's the point," Stewart said emphatically. "if you care about an issue, and want to make it your life's work, don't cut corners. It's disheartening for people inclined towards the scientific method and it's catnip to these guys who are going to end up celebrating tonight, drunk, roaming the Arctic Circle trying to scullf*ck polar bears. Which are quickly disappearing because of rising oceans. Caused now, apparently, by God's tears."

Best,
Skunknuts

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Much like Stewart's blasting of CNBC's Cramer and Santelli, both whose on-air antics and fear-mongering were more about personal enrichment. Beck has no credibility as a true journalist, nor does the network he works for.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
Much like Stewart's blasting of CNBC's Cramer and Santelli, both whose on-air antics and fear-mongering were more about personal enrichment. Beck has no credibility as a true journalist, nor does the network he works for.

Beck's not trying to represent himself as a 'journalist,' right!?
I mean his show is wackier than 'Coast to Coast AM,' and should be taken with a dump-truck of road salt, no? I mean, I thought that was a given.

Best,
Skunknuts

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 03:43 AM
link   

I like Glenn Beck quite a bit, and I have a lot of respect for him. He is quite the character, highly informative as well, and he is never afraid to speak-up where most cower in the shadows. He is a very powerful voice for those who have none.

Here is some more good stuff on Glenn Beck:

www.cracked.com...

[edit on 12/17/2009 by skunknuts]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Stephen Colbert actually did a little segment, last night, as well - very funny!

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 04:11 AM
link   
I agree, same with jones, and his gold pushers on his show.

Money is what drives alot of these people. Bill cooper was the only one not interested as he understood you only need so much.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 04:18 AM
link   
I love how with Glenn Beck is the single person in the main stream media that is at least making people think. You might not agree with some of his tactics or what he says, but by God you are a fool if you don't see the good he is doing for this country.

I credit him at the very least with opening up the minds of the millions of viewers he gets each week, regardless of whether there is a payoff for him in the end of not. It doesn't take Glenn Beck telling me to invest in gold for me to do it, anyone with a common sense would be able to tell you where this economy is going.

So enjoy your digs at Beck. Continue this diatribe that I continue to see about Colbert and Stewart reporting "real news" lately. They're shows are meant to be and are nothing more than a joke - the same as most of the people that watch them and take them seriously. Let's face it, these guys aren't in it for the pay off at all, right?

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by gwydionblack

The geezer just stole everything he says of everyone else. At least ron paul was speaking about this stuff for years, not like so many that just jumped on this bandwagon.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by skunknuts

*yawn* jon stewart.. the comedian who pretty much is only known lately because he could make bush jokes..

yeah, definitely a credible source, wake me up when the real news comes in.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Beck's been on the air for over a decade. Goldline is only a recent sponsor. The past two years or so.

Plus, it's not like a secret that Goldline is a sponsor. He enters each commercial with: "This half-hour has been brought to you by _________". Sometimes it's Goldline, sometimes it's some board game sometimes it's motor oil.

I'm all for generalizations and assumptions and omission of certain pieces of information to make a joke funny or to get a subtle point across but when I see so many people running off to the internets and posting things like SNL skits as complete and factual it makes me reconsider my position a bit.

Is more harm being done than good? Is the point of the joke being lost?
The trouble with a human audience is it's human.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Beck is in a little bit of trouble definitely, his boss sent him a letter.

Source

Joel Cheatwood, the senior vice president of development for Fox News, said the network’s legal department had recently sent a letter to Mr. Beck’s representatives “seeking clarification” about his work for Goldline.

“They sent back word that he is not a paid spokesman,” Mr. Cheatwood said, adding that it would be “problematic without question” if Mr. Beck did have a position as a paid spokesman for a product.

Fox News released a statement outlining its official policy about such issues: “Fox News prohibits any on-air talent from endorsing products or serving as a product spokesperson.”

Fox News stressed that it was not aware that Mr. Beck was listed on the Internet as a paid spokesman. But he definitely was, until very recently. On cached editions of the Goldline Web site over the last week to 10 days, a photograph of Mr. Beck was accompanied by an asterisk which led to a line at the bottom of the site that read: “paid spokesman.”

That ad (which is also linked to from Mr. Beck’s personal site, glennbeck.com) was changed, so that the words “paid spokesman” were replaced with “radio sponsor.”

Beck has a comedy tour?? Is he a comedian, too?

Goldline was also listed as the exclusive sponsor of Mr. Beck’s comedy tour last summer. Mr. Albarian said the company was represented in advertising signs around the venues during the tour, in the same way that sponsors of any tour would be.

Beck's Goldline video, Feb 09.

edit: add youtube video

[edit on Thu, 17 Dec 09 by Jazzyguy]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by skunknuts
Yeah, I agree, Jon Stewart is awesome. I think the video I will post the link to below totally summarizes the solidity of the climate change deniers argument
Best,
Skunknuts

Then you lied, you dont think.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I think the biggest bust on Glenn Beck is the video of him putting vicks under his eyes so he could take pictures of him crying for America. He is a sham and making a fool of his followers.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by damwel

I keep seeing this and it's pretty funny.

Trouble is I cant find the context of it. What's the shoot for? He's obviously using Vicks or something to drum up tears but then his facial expressions are hammy as hell which makes me think the tears arent supposed to be sincere anyway. As if the intention is self-mockery. Do you know what the context is?

[edit on 17-12-2009 by thisguyrighthere]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
woo-hoo! Let's rip on people for having sponsors!

Yay.

How dare someone have $$.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by damwel
I think the biggest bust on Glenn Beck is the video of him putting vicks under his eyes so he could take pictures of him crying for America. He is a sham and making a fool of his followers.

Oh my God.

Are you serious?

He was doing a photo shoot. You want him to cry for hours on end throughout the photo shoot?

Plus the faces he makes shows you that it is not meant to be serious.

Typical mindless blather . . . just like all the other people who rip on Beck.

You all seem to have issues with context and context clues . . . or maybe you all are just lacking common sense.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by gwydionblack
but by God you are a fool if you don't see the good he is doing for this country.

Then I sir am a proud fool. I see nothing good he has done for the country. Fear mongering has one purpose. If you are afraid of those around you, you will not pay attention to those above you.

By making people afraid of the government we ignore the corporate enemies that prey on us. Conflict theory has that part down if you ask me. I'm not a Marxist but I feel that the real issue isn't the government it is who is running the country.... the corporations

Long Live Stewart

[edit on 17-12-2009 by Hagbard_Celine]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join