It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iranian-Backed Insurgents Hack U.S. Drones

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Iranian-Backed Insurgents Hack U.S. Drones

www.foxnews.com

Militants in Iraq have used $26 off-the-shelf software to intercept live video feeds from U.S. Predator drones, potentially providing them with information they need to evade or monitor U.S. military operations.

The stolen video feeds also indicate that U.S. adversaries continue to find simple ways of counteracting sophisticated American military technologies.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
online.wsj.com

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   
$26 to hack a drone.

It would cost the US military $26 million to do the same.

Also serves to point out these are not just crazed barbarians as the propaganda frequently shows them to be.

David brings down Goliath with $26 !!!

In the summer 2009 incident, the military found "days and days and hours and hours of proof" that the feeds were being intercepted and shared with multiple extremist groups, the person said. "It is part of their kit now."

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Those video feeds are via RF (radio frequency) and I'll bet that no one in the US military thought encryption was needed for those types of feeds. However I bet that now they will encrypt those video feeds and that twenty-six dollar software will be returned to Radio Shack.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by AllSeeingI

Also serves to point out these are not just crazed barbarians as the propaganda frequently shows them to be.

The leaders are psychopaths, but Iran has many talented & educated people, unfortunately some even within the regime.

[edit on 17-12-2009 by john124]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   
once again the war drum beats for Iran

Iranian-backed insurgents intercepted the video feeds in Iraq?

From US intelligence past history, they may as well just said Santa, it probably would have been more accurate.

where is the evidence it was Iranian backed insurgents?

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by munkey66

I'm sure they've got plenty of insurgents in Afghan/Pak, as well as Iraq. Not to mention Somalia and Yemen.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by munkey66
once again the war drum beats for Iran

Iranian-backed insurgents intercepted the video feeds in Iraq?

From US intelligence past history, they may as well just said Santa, it probably would have been more accurate.

where is the evidence it was Iranian backed insurgents?

These days anything to point the finger at Iran regardless of the truth, one countries insurgent is another's freedom fighter.

More so if it's not your back yard.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by AllSeeingI

More to the point, which numb-skull purchaser and designer didn't think that a lack of encrption was a problem? If the video feed isn't encrypted I wonder if the control signals are?

Manned military craft emit very short bursts of encrypted data to avoid betraying their position and giving the enemy a chance of decryption.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 03:52 AM
link   
It's no secret that the Iraqi militiants were/are still being backed by iran. It was happening when I was there from 06-08. We used to catch enemy convoys all the time coming over the boarder from Iran to Iraq with EFP's, weapons, money, and materials to make IEDs. Why this never hit MSM is beyond me. More then likely it was because we could never confirm if it was the Iranian government doing it or if it was just individuals in their country.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePeoplesSoldier
It's no secret that the Iraqi militiants were/are still being backed by iran.

Here you firmly claim "backed by Iran"

More then likely it was because we could never confirm if it was the Iranian government doing it or if it was just individuals in their country.

And here you ADMIT YOU DON'T KNOW.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I thought we already won the war in Iraq why do we have drones flying around the country and insurgents inside the boarders? We can figure out that someone is intercepting a feed but can't find the insurgents? lol

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Once upon a time American Patriots fighting a war for independence was backed by the upstart French!

Yes those pesky and beloved insurgents known as George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, and Thomas Jefferson et al actually needed another nation’s help for money, weapons and intelligence to defeat a foreign army!

Imagine that! It seems that at that time the foreign army occupying America made it hard while fighting a war against the people that lived there to not just make a living and enjoy a quality of life but to manufacture the weapons and ammunition needed to rid the land of that foreign army!

Of course I realize our American troops were all born in Iraq and all we want to do is help them enjoy our own system of heavy taxation with barely a shred of representation in an atmosphere of political correctness so controlled and enforced you are viewed as a potential terrorist for not mimicking the party line verbatim.

I can’t imagine why the people born there who have been bombed and murdered, maimed and corralled, herded and imprisoned, starved and deprived, humiliated and degraded to submit to that end just wouldn’t be excited about it?

Can you?

(cue for the totally brainwashed to start espousing some of the dogmas and propagandas that conveniently deny other people the right to self determination in their own land and nation based on instilled ignorance, prejudice and skewered perception)

[edit on 17/12/09 by ProtoplasmicTraveler]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by prof-rabbit

*SNIP*, and the exact reason why I hate sharing my point of view. I SAID WE SAW THEM COME ACROSS THE IRANIAN BOARDER INTO IRAQ! We JUST DIDNT KNOW WHO WAS BUYING THE CRAP. THATS PROBLY WHY IT DIDN'T HIT MSM. Jesus H tap dancing christ. Can't somone just share some personal life experiance without *SNIP* attempting to tear everything apart! All I wanted to do was give alittle validation to the posters thread. If you don't like it *SNIP* .

Mod Note: Courtesy is Mandatory – Please Review Link.

Mod-Note: Profanity and Insults Removed.

[edit on 17-12-2009 by Skyfloating]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by ThePeoplesSoldier

Hey by strange chance did you too as an American soldier happen to cross Iraq’s borders with weapons and ammunition or in support of other Americans with weapons and ammunition intending to do grievous bodily harm to the people of that nation who might oppose you?

If simply crossing Iraq’s borders to supposedly aide and defend a segment of its peoples was a crime in and of itself then anyone who crossed Iraq’s borders from nations right next door or ten thousand miles away would be guilty of the same crime.

I appreciate your experiences, and you sharing them, and the fact that for many people spending a bit of time with something or somewhere creates the notion of mental ownership of that something or someplace, yet at the end of the day there is no denying when it comes to exporting war and violence and weapons into Iraq that we Americans certainly have the Iranians and anyone else for that matter beat hands down.

Hopefully we never have to actually fight a foreign invader here in the United States but come the day that we would ever have to, I hope everyone realizes that those people brave and determined enough to fight against that foreign conqueror would be insurgents too.

The War on Terror is very much about word games used to assault us all, insurgents, enemy combatants, non combatants, and terrorists are just another way to deflect and skewer the reality that we invaded another sovereign nation and 8 years later hundreds of people are still dying violent deaths every day there as a result.

Pretty nifty trick hanging that all on the Iranians!

[edit on 17/12/09 by ProtoplasmicTraveler]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Congrats, you have officialy made this my last iraq, war, government, bush, oil, army post. Mostly because you took a simple life experiance that I was sharing with the poster and turned it into somthing hatefull. I truely regret ever posting on this thread. Your all a bunch of closed minded fools. Have fun arguing over whos fault the Iraq war is, and how many diffrent ways we can blame bush. Life is to short to waste on you. Ill be in the alien forums, where people actualy have good reasons to be skeptical about things.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   

reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Congrats, you have officialy made this my last iraq, war, government, bush, oil, army post. Mostly because you took a simple life experiance that I was sharing with the poster and turned it into somthing hatefull. I truely regret ever posting on this thread. Your all a bunch of closed minded fools. Have fun arguing over whos fault the Iraq war is, and how many diffrent ways we can blame bush. Life is to short to waste on you. Ill be in the alien forums, where people actualy have good reasons to be skeptical about things.

That's typical of this thread derailer. Probably the most popular on "ignore" lists.

Anyway, thanks for posting this.
Most terrorists have engineering degrees and are not stupid.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by ThePeoplesSoldier

Hey it’s great that you feel your own involvement on some level inside of Iraq gives you some superior insight but the reality is that there is a lot more to war and life than one person’s perspective.

Double standards are double standards no matter what side of that line a person dwells upon.

Hypocrisy is hypocrisy no matter who signs your paycheck or what flag or banner a person wraps themselves in.

I haven’t seen anyone attack you on this thread. Here on ATS we debate critical issues that deviate from the party lines, political propagandas and dogmas. We debate and sometimes assail one another’s contentions we don’t assail one another.

The issue isn’t about what you feeling people might be imagining about you when they have a differing opinion.

The issue isn’t about what you imagine other people to be who have a differing opinion or your estimation of them.

The issue is the subject matter, and in this case the subject matter is Iranians allegedly supplying the technology to hack U.S. unmanned drones.

People’s debates become effective when they effectively examine all angles of the issue while putting forth their own. People who imagine that there is some hatred or biased against them just because their debates and contentions aren’t more widely accepted are really just attempting to use emotional domination to deflect away from debate and stifle it.

Getting people to listen to one’s self becomes a bit more problematic and difficult when you don’t have a loaded gun in your hands leveled at them.

Clearly the ills of war are taking a tremendous toll on our soldiers and that in and of itself is something that diminishes us all.

You might want to try focusing more on the issues and less on the poster friend.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by JJay55

Most terrorists have engineering degrees and are not stupid.

Wow imagine that highly intelligent and analytical people using that knowledge to fight against oppression and foreign domination and the ills of the world!

Who would have thought that?

It’s really a shame that they aren’t so brave and noble to sit in Langley Virginia sipping a Mocha Latte while they fly armed unmanned predator drones from ten thousand miles away bombing and shooting innocent men, women and children indiscriminately!

Then they could be brave heroes instead of terrorists huh?

Personally I am relieved and glad that ways are being found to defeat these technological abominations. When we start using machines like these to snuff out human life we have truly lost all humanity.

I imagine though that when an innocent man, woman, or child whose lost friends who weren’t combatants to these drones look up at the sky and see one that they aren’t terrorized at all by their presence.

I don’t think some people who post to these threads even know the definition of the word terrorism.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by john124

The leaders are psychopaths, but Iran has many talented & educated people, unfortunately some even within the regime.

If truth be told, our leaders are psychopaths, but the US has many talented & educated people, unfortunately some even within the regime.

Given that the CIA (yes, you read that right) and military are killing completely innocent civilians with drone technology, this hack might be a good thing. For many years, the US was content to reign terror on militarily weak areas of the world. Now they are militarizing our police and starting to turn this terror on our country.

How long do you think it will take before US citizens are being murdered with this technology? Could this be the reason ACORN was taking GPS readings?

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by john124

where is the proof ?

*SNIP*, and the exact reason why I hate sharing my point of view. I SAID WE SAW THEM COME ACROSS THE IRANIAN BOARDER INTO IRAQ! We JUST DIDNT KNOW WHO WAS BUYING THE CRAP. THATS PROBLY WHY IT DIDN'T HIT MSM. Jesus H tap dancing christ. Can't somone just share some personal life experiance without *SNIP* attempting to tear everything apart! All I wanted to do was give alittle validation to the posters thread. If you don't like it *SNIP* .

please provide some video or photo evidence with confirmed independent analysis (no anglo-american propaganda) ,
till evidence is provided your statements are raants and BS

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join