It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious phone calls

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Am I the only one who is getting about 3 phone calls a week (on my land line) with seemingly nobody on the other side? There is no "sorry, wrong number" or even a sound of breathing. Just dead silence.

I was thinking that maybe there is some subliminal info going down the wire that we just can't hear, but our brains are processing it. Maybe some kind of advanced advertisement?

Well, it's just a wild guess. I find it odd that I'm getting these dead calls on a regular basis. Anybody else getting them?

Best,

N

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Nichiren

If you have the number come up on phone do not answer if it is withheld.

I do not have the problem.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Nichiren I had the same problem about a year ago. It began to drive me crazy...even to the point where my imagination starting coming up with all sorts of delusional schemes...finally I got rid of the land-line altogether. I now use my mobile for local/evening calls and Skype for long distance and no longer am bothered by those annoying "phantom calls".

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Before I cancelled the land line, I used to get all kinds of strange calls on my unlisted # (and registered with the Gov. Do Not Call site). The caller id would show “000-000-0000" or “unavailable” and the line went dead each time I picked up. A lot of the time there was just static on the other end. I started letting the calls go to voicemail, but they never left a message, at least one that wasn’t just static. I use whocalled.us... to look up numbers I don’t recognize.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
its an automatic dialer. and i think that its waiting for you to say hello, before it plays its message. it could also be screwing up.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
yea happend to me lots of times in the past,and where i live its just bulgaria,i always wondered is it some kinda stalker,or gov agent or what the?

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   

dumb

[edit on 15-12-2009 by atcwatcher]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   

don't let paranoia get the better of you.

Second line is second.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   

its a shot in the dark but maybe someone trying to analyse your voice.. if they phone several times from the same number i could almost guarantee it if there is a reason the intelligence services or an individual would want to impersonate you

my 2 cents

Abductee

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by UFOabducteebe

honestly i bet it's so you do go and buy a cellphone because they can listen in at anytime on your cellphone, even if you arne't talking on your phone, they work just like radios.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

This is a hot time of the year for calls, both in collections and requesting donations. A lot of firms use autodialer technology which can be set up to either play a recording or have you speak to a person.

The recording will activate when it detects a voice on the other end, if it's working properly. If for some reason it doesn't "hear" anything, the recording won't start.

The live person may have forgotten to busy out their phone when taking a break, which will continue to send calls to an unmanned desk. Sometimes they're just too disinterested to participate and won't talk for every 10th call or so. Naturally, when they're caught doing that consistently it's a termination. But by the time that happens, someone is usually ready for it anyway.

Call centers almost always use PRIs (ISDN T1s) and they're programmable to display whatever the company wants to show as an originating number. Could be 000-000-0000 or anything else.

No, I don't think it's anything to worry about. Either a glitch in the automated recording playback, or someone who just doesn't want to deal with your call are by far and away the most likely situations. I get at least 2-3 of these a week this time of year, and I'm as sure as I am of anything, I'm not being bombarded with subliminal suggestion or targeted by an intelligence service.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Its been happening to me for a few months - NOTHING shows up on the caller ID - it reads "RINGING" ??? - not unknown, private, or 000-000-0000.
If I pick up and say "Hello" no one says anything but there is obviously someone on the other end. If I pick up and don't say anything, same thing. If I let it ring through to the machine they say on the line until the end beep of the machine, but leave no message.

I'm not worried about it, but would love to know how they can bypass the caller ID all together like that!

[edit on 15-12-2009 by serendipitynow]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Many companies use auto-diallers for market research and more commonly, for sales calls.
These dial SEVERAL numbers at once, and connect the sales person to the first "customer" who picks up. The other called numbers, which are slower to pick up are simply cut off, or left hanging.
If you are on their list of numbers to call, and you haven't yet received the actual sales pitch, then it'll happen again, and again.
In the UK we have a dial preference service where we can register (FREE) to be removed from unsolicited sales call systems. (Google dial preference service). It does work, but sometimes takes a few weeks before filtering down to all of the sales companies.

I hope that this info helps?

regards,
G

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
BTW - Your location...
That's not "west of Westwood" EK is it?

You'll know what EK is, if it is! If not then my apologies!
G

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   

It can be a f*ck-up in the digi-central

We have days that one after the sales-person is on the line and about 6 times a week there's no one on the line when I pickup the phone after it rang ......

I wouldnt bother 'bout it, think it's technical malefunction

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
It's an automatic Dialer. I get this all the time. Some Autodialers are able to personalizing messages and collect touch tone or speech feedbacks. It's nothing out of the ordinary.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Gordi The Drummer

I'm in LA.

Best,

N

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by MR BOB
its an automatic dialer. and i think that its waiting for you to say hello, before it plays its message. it could also be screwing up.

There are also some "live" telemarketers who use automatic dialers...Their dialers dial several numbers at once and the ones that picks up first (perhaps even the first several that pick up) are then greeted by a telemarketer.

For example: There may be 10 calls dialed for every 4 telemarketers. If all of the telemarketers get a person, then the other 6 calls will have nobody at the other end.

EDIT:
Oops! I see "Gordi the Drummer" has already said this...sorry.

[edit on 12/16/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

No worries!
(Great minds think alike and all that!)
G

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Just do what I do - I never answer a call from an unknown number, not on my landline or my mobile phone. If it's something important from someone I know using another phone, they will leave a message. I never answer my door to strangers either.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join