It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syria says they will defend Iran if Israel strikes

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Yo, Ahmadinejad, we just saw some really fast jets headed in your direction. Did you want us to do anything else?

I ain't a pro-israeli but i have to admit your statement summed up syrian millitary very well.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Dude, Hezbollah is already part of Lebanon govt. and holds 14 seats out of 128 in Parliament. They are not throwing Lebanese govt. out because Hezbollah a legitimate resistance organization that has defended its land against illegal occupation and incursion by apartheid Israel. They already are part of govt. so they won't throw themselves out. Previously also only once in 2006 has Hezbollah participated in political protest and that was also completely peaceful.

Besides that you are vaguely correct but missing few key points. Egypt has already stated if Israel attacks Iran, Egypt will attack Israel. And you should also think about African nations role since many support Iran govt.

Iran also has an advanced air defense system, deployed to protect its nuclear sites; "they are dispersed and underground making potential air strikes difficult and without any guarantees of success." (Jerusalem Post, 20 April 2005). It has upgraded its Shahab-3 missile, which can reach targets in Israel. Iran's armed forces have recently conducted high-profile military exercises in anticipation of a US led attack. Iran also possesses some 12 X-55 strategic cruise missiles, produced by the Ukraine. Iran's air defense systems is said to feature Russian SA-2, SA-5, SA-6 as well as shoulder-launched SA-7 missiles

Basically you can count out the Arab league and the Non Aligned Movement involving 118 countries. Both these groups will not help in anyway with the attack on Iran as they have previously stated.

Arab League Member Countries: Majority of these countries will most possibly assist (by attacking or defending against countries) Iran in a war scenario.

Egypt
Iraq
Jordan
Lebanon
Saudi Arabia
Syria
Yemen
Sudan
Libya
Moroccod
Tunisia
Kuwait
Algeria
Bahrain
Qatar
Oman
United Arab Emirates
Mauritania
Somalia
Palestinian territories Palestinee
Djibouti
Comoros
Eritrea
Brazil
Venezuela
India

and these are the NAM member countries which includes the above given Arab League countries. They will most possibly not provide any kind of assistance to any attacks against Iran.

NAM:Member states and representatives
* Afghanistan
* Algeria
* Angola
* Antigua and Barbuda
* Bahamas
* Bahrain
* Bangladesh
* Barbados
* Belarus
* Belize
* Benin
* Bhutan
* Bolivia
* Botswana
* Burma (Myanmar)
* Brunei
* Burkina Faso
* Burundi
* Cambodia
* Cameroon
* Cape Verde
* Central African Republic
* Chad
* Chile
* Colombia
* Comoros
* Congo
* Côte d'Ivoire
* Cuba
* Democratic Republic of the Congo
* Djibouti
* Dominica
* Dominican Republic
* Ecuador
* Egypt
* Equatorial Guinea
* Eritrea
* Ethiopia
* Gabon
* Gambia
* Ghana
* Grenada
* Guatemala
* Guinea
* Guinea-Bissau
* Guyana
* Haiti
* Honduras
* India
* Indonesia
* Iran
* Iraq
* Jamaica
* Jordan
* Kenya
* Kuwait
* Laos
* Lebanon
* Lesotho
* Liberia
* Libya
* Madagascar
* Malawi
* Malaysia
* Maldives
* Mali
* Mauritania
* Mauritius
* Mongolia
* Morocco
* Mozambique
* Namibia
* Nepal
* Nicaragua
* Niger
* Nigeria
* North Korea
* Oman
* Pakistan
* Palestine
* Panama
* Papua New Guinea
* Peru
* Philippines
* Qatar
* Rwanda
* Saint Lucia
* Saint Kitts and Nevis
* Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
* São Tomé and Príncipe
* Saudi Arabia
* Senegal
* Seychelles
* Sierra Leone
* Singapore
* Somalia
* South Africa
* Sri Lanka
* Sudan
* Suriname
* Swaziland
* Syria
* Tanzania
* Thailand
* Timor-Leste
* Togo
* Trinidad and Tobago
* Tunisia
* Turkmenistan
* Uganda
* United Arab Emirates
* Uzbekistan
* Vanuatu
* Venezuela
* Vietnam
* Yemen
* Zambia
* Zimbabwe

Now many of these countries are third world countries and may not seem much atm but they hold key strategic locations on map. Besides that there are many individual groups/ organisations both in EU and US which oppose war against Iran. Last but not least it will effectively end the American economy and the global oil market. You will find street protests allover the world when that happens.

The broader Middle East-Central Asian region encompasses more than 70% of the world's reserves of oil and natural gas. Iran possesses 10% of the world's oil and ranks third after Saudi Arabia (25 %) and Iraq (11 %) in the size of its reserves. In comparison, the US possesses less than 2.8 % of global oil reserves.

Military action against Iran would directly involve Israel's participation, which in turn is likely to trigger a broader war throughout the Middle East, not to mention an implosion in the Palestinian occupied territories.

Israel is a nuclear power with a sophisticated nuclear arsenal. The use of nuclear weapons by Israel or the US cannot be excluded, particularly in view of the fact that tactical nuclear weapons have now been reclassified as a variant of the conventional bunker buster bombs and are authorized by the US Senate for use in conventional war theaters. ("they are harmless to civilians because the explosion is underground")

In this regard, Israel and the US rather than Iran constitute a nuclear threat.

The planned attack on Iran must be understood in relation to the existing active war theaters in the Middle East, namely Afghanistan, Iraq and Palestine. The conflict could easily spread from the Middle East to the Caspian sea basin. It could also involve the participation of Azerbaijan and Georgia, where US troops are stationed.

An attack on Iran would have a direct impact on the resistance movement inside Iraq. It would also put pressure on America's overstretched military capabilities and resources in both the Iraqi and Afghan war theaters. (The 150,000 US troops in Afghanistan are already fully engaged and could not be redeployed in the case of a war with Iran.)

Moreover, US military action on Iran not only threatens Russian and Chinese interests, which have geopolitical interests in the Caspian sea basin and which have bilateral agreements with Iran. It also backlashes on European oil interests in Iran and is likely to produce major divisions between Western allies, between the US and its European partners as well as within the European Union.

Through its participation in NATO, Europe, despite its reluctance, would be brought into the Iran operation. The participation of NATO largely hinges on a military cooperation agreement reached between NATO and Israel. This agreement would bind NATO to defend Israel against Syria and Iran. NATO would therefore support a preemptive attack on Iran's nuclear facilities, and could take on a more active role if Iran were to retaliate following US-Israeli air strikes.

Needless to say, the war against Iran is part of a longer term US military agenda which seeks to militarize the entire Caspian sea basin, eventually leading to the destabilization and conquest of the Russian Federation.

[edit on 15-12-2009 by December_Rain]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Like I said in another thread, dont misinterpret Brazil´s intentions to straighten economic relations with Iran to mean more than that.

I´m from brazil and I am telling you Brazil would NEVER side with iran in that war.

2010 is presidential election year and even if it wasnt, no Brazilian would EVER be crazy enough to side with Iran. WHY would we do it? what do we gain from that?

There is NOTHING to gain. Nothing!

Hey, have you seen us in the Iraq war? Exactly...

We are not warmongers. We will avoid being part of that as much as we can and if we have to do anything we will do as little as necessary and we will pick the winning side.

South American countries are too worried about developing their economies. Reason we are reaching closer relations with Iran is because we have realised we can benefit economically by trading with them. Now, if they are stupid enough to get themselves in that war, dude, that's their problem.

Now, Chavez could attack Colombia and that would have us sending our troops to defend our border there, just in case.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

contd.

So you see Russia understands the game plan and would not be fooled by US/Israel and will not help in anyway with attack on Iran and of course not China. It would instead protect it's resources in Caspian Sea Basin. The recent sale of Oil contracts to major EU/Asian countries will severely oppose any attack on Iran as it will threaten the Iraqi oil fields.

Why else do you think USA has not bought any major Iraqi oil fields contracts last month? In any attack on Iran these oil fields will have to be provided security cover (which again will need re-deploying of troops).

Last but not least, whatever resistance that currently exists against Iran will disappear. Iranians are very proud people and will unite in case of any foreign attacks on them. If you are not aware few months ago all the political parties (including the opposition) made a statement in case of any attack on Iran they will act as a unity and retaliate. So it's wishful thinking that any protesters will help. On the contrary, the ones protesting now will pick up guns and fight alongside.

The reason for that is the Iran's population support their govt. on nuclear issue across all parties and organization.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I think we all new about this report that Syria would help defend Iran . They signed a treaty some time ago stating that they would do just that .

If Iran is attacked it will not be pretty at all and God only knows where it will all end .

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
In an event of attack on Iran, to be sucessful all its nuclear sites will have to be destroyed. Let's take a look at the map of Iran where it's key nuclear sites are installed:

Here’s the population of the cities in which the nuclear sites are located (Source: City Population):

City Population (2006)
Bonab 76,610
Bushehr 169,966
Chalus 45625
Darkhovin ?
Esfahan 1602110
Fasa 92.020
Karaj 1,386,030
Mo’allem Kalaych ?
Natanz ?
Neka ?
Saghand ?
Tabas 50,000
Tabriz 3,603,456
Tehran 13,422,366
Yazd 990,818

So in order to attack any of these nuclear sites there will be a massive amount of civilian causalities. Since the attack would be a surprise attack people will not get a chance to protect themselves unlike in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Here is an extract from Oxford Research Group:

The core problem is that any military action would, in practice, have to involve more than just a series of attacks on a small range of directly nuclear-related sites.Moreover, once such action started, it would be virtually impossible to maintain any relationship with Iran except one based on violence.

Apart from anything else, all the available evidence suggests that any military action would have a very powerful unifying effect within Iran, bringing a wide range of political and religious opinion behind the administration, increasing both its power base and its stability. Even the current administration could be expected to be a focus of support. Those elements of the theocracy that are at present suspicious of Mr Ahmadinejad and may still resent his unexpected electoral success, would not stand in the way of a united Iran faced with US military action.

So you see what I said above, I was not making up from thin air. So any dreams it will be a one time attack and nothing will happen later is just that a dream. What will follow will be a mayhem that will pale WWI and II and there is no doubt about that at all.

Here is the conclusion of the whole study:

Conclusion

A US military attack on Iranian nuclear infrastructure would be the start of a protracted military confrontation that would probably involve Iraq, Israel and Lebanon as well as the United States and Iran, with the possibility of west Gulf states being involved as well. An attack by Israel, although initially on a smaller scale, would almost certainly escalate to involve the United States, and would also mark the start of a protracted conflict.

Although an attack by either state could seriously damage Iran’s nuclear development potential, numerous responses would be possible making a protracted and highly unstable conflict virtually certain. Moreover, Iran would be expected to withdraw from the Non-Proliferation Treaty and engage in a nuclear weapons programme as rapidly as possible. This would lead to further military action against Iran, establishing a highly dangerous cycle of violence.

The termination of the Saddam Hussein regime was expected to bring about a free-market client state in Iraq. Instead it has produced a deeply unstable and costly conflict with no end in sight. That may not prevent a US or an Israeli attack on Iran even though it should be expected that the consequences would be substantially greater. What this analysis does conclude is that a military response to the current crisis in relations with Iran is a particularly dangerous option and should not be considered further – alternative approaches must be sought, however difficult these may be.

It will effectively be the beginning of end of Israel and possibly Iran along with making USA a third world country. What the above study is lacking any aspects of approach by any US or Iran allies which would include more chaos and destruction.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   

funny thing about this is,
People think Iran is IRAQ

Iraq decades of sanctions
crumbling Military who surrended winthin hours of war
an air force which was diplited and buried

a third world country could have bombed the crap of IRAQ and gotten away with it.

Iran
No sanctions
Free to buy weapons
has Missiles that can Reach Israel

so if israel want to attack they will get hit back in the face
so lets say its the end of Both countries as Iran would flatten Israel and Israel would unleash everything it has before hitting the dust.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Thanks for your informative posts concerning this matter. I have been foggy in some areas of this enormously complicated mess, and although I'm certainly not now "clear", it has managed to shed some light on a few queries I've had.

Thanks.

(Truth be known I still prefer Anna Nicole Smith's "why can't we all just get along", but I guess I've had to give up the hope for that.)

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

Actually there are lot of sanction in place on Iran as well but their capability is much superior and more organized.It is true Iran is not Iraq or Afghanistan.

Even if Israel attacks Iran, Iran will definitely attack any US interest in Middle East along with Israel. Thus, US will have to get involved in anyway and a bigger war. It is naive to think Iran won't attack US interest in Middle East if only Israel attacks and a laughable concept.

Any attack on Iran will let Iran launch attacks within Iraq/ Afghanistan on US bases open their border with Iraq to infiltrate militias inside Iraq/ Afghanistan. Iran will attack any oil supply routes to US etc.

And don't forget what North Korea will do taking advantage of the whole situation.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
Not a very comforting thought.

I don't think Israel will strike Iran because they are aware of the consequences that would result. I don't think Iran will strike Israel because they are aware of the consequences that would result.

I hope your predictions are wrong, but they do seem plausible.

WW3 will not be pretty for ANY of us...

[edit on 15/12/2009 by Dark Ghost]

TPTB in israel want ww3, they want christ to return to save the chosen people (the jews) so being aware of the consquences, they know exactly what theyd be doing if they bomb iran.. and by the looks of the news lately in iran.. i think were closer than we think to a strike by the jews..

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by December_Rain
reply to post by bodrul

Actually there are lot of sanction in place on Iran as well but their capability is much superior and more organized.It is true Iran is not Iraq or Afghanistan.

Even if Israel attacks Iran, Iran will definitely attack any US interest in Middle East along with Israel. Thus, US will have to get involved in anyway and a bigger war. It is naive to think Iran won't attack US interest in Middle East if only Israel attacks and a laughable concept.

Any attack on Iran will let Iran launch attacks within Iraq/ Afghanistan on US bases open their border with Iraq to infiltrate militias inside Iraq/ Afghanistan. Iran will attack any oil supply routes to US etc.

And don't forget what North Korea will do taking advantage of the whole situation.

an attack by iran would mean attacks by the mahdi army and kataib hezbollah in iraq, hezbollah in lebanon and hamas in palestine. maybe even the houthis in yemen. at the least i think were lookin at a rather large regional war. maybe even iranian regulars would be involved at the onset of hostilities. i dont doubt syria would be involved and i have no doubt that the lebanese government would support hezbollah as they have shown where there loyalties lie in the last couple months as far as hezbollah is concerned.

[edit on 15-12-2009 by TheCoffinman]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

No probs. you are welcome. But please remember what I say is what I feel will happen. I believe this would happen but I may be wrong also. It may be possible nothing of this sort will happen and Iran may give up it's nuclear ambition (1 in a million chance) but all the evidence and things going on currently points opposite to that. The war with Iran is extremely dangerous route with chances of resulting in M.A.D (Mutually Assured Destruction) in probability of 85-90% in my view.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

so lets say its the end of Both countries as Iran would flatten Israel and Israel would unleash everything it has before hitting the dust.

The sad and disturbing reality that is missed through all the Israeli and Zionist propaganda is Israel is a nuclear power.

It is therefore naïve to think that if faced with annihilation it is going to just focus its nuclear arsenal on the nations it attacked and who are responding.

The Zionists and Israeli Political Lobbies have for years used various forms of spying, blackmail and other extortion tactics against the United States and the Europeans and British.

Should push come to shove it is safe to say Israel will unleash its nuclear arsenal on friend and foe alike. It will launch against so called friendly nations that did not come to its aide, and it will launch against the nations defending themselves against her whose retaliations pushed it to that brink.

The world has made a horrendous choice in not confronting Israel’s nuclear arsenal and refusal to sign the non-proliferation accords and inspection treaties.

In this amazing twist of irony Israel is condemning Iran for actually complying with what Israel steadfastly refuses to do and that’s confess to its own nuclear weapons of mass destructions and allow inspections and regulations.

One of the reasons the Israelis no doubt won’t allow inspections is because their nuclear weapons are pointed at everyone friend and foe alike.

Isn’t it something that this tiny nation of Israel that itself refuses to abide by the International Treaties and Laws stands on the verge of unhinging life as we know it in its dislike of a nation that does abide by the International Treaties and Laws?

It won’t be just Iran destroyed with Israeli nuclear weapons but Europe and America and the Soviet Union too.

The world has done a very foolish thing in letting a tiny nation like Israel act in a disproportionate importance to its size and contributions.

Everyone the world over will likely pay that price one way or another when that bill becomes due, and Israel and its supporters have racked up one heck of a bill due with all the blood it has shed and all the thefts and injustices it has perpetrated and other nations have aided and abetted it with or turned a blind eye too.

Israel by far and a way is the greatest danger to security and prosperity on this planet and their current actions certainly underscore that.

[edit on 15/12/09 by ProtoplasmicTraveler]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
also gotta throw in venezuela..

online.wsj.com...

What do Fadi Kabboul, Aref Richany Jimenez, Radwan Sabbagh and Tarek Zaidan El Aissami Maddah have in common? The answer is that they are, respectively, executive director for planning of Venezuelan oil company PdVSA; the president of Venezuela's military-industrial complex; the president of a major state-owned mining concern; and, finally, the minister of interior. Latin Americans of Middle Eastern descent have long played prominent roles in national politics and business. But these are all fingertip positions in what gives the Iranian-Venezuelan relationship its worrying grip.

Forty-seven years ago, Americans woke up to the fact that a distant power could threaten us much closer to home. Perhaps it's time Camelot 2.0 take note that we are now on course for a replay.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I wondered if Israel will do it, as they threatened to attack Iran this month back in September.. does anyone know if Israel have troops or aircraft mobilising?

If this goes down.. Israel WILL be swallowed up.. not one arab nation on this planet will defend their actions and ALL middle eastern arab nations will attack Israel, they are in a lions den surrounded by enemies..

Ironic that Israel is basically the new Nazi Germany and they treat the palestinians and other local arab nations like sub humans.. guess pay backs a bitch

they will start the process of extermination and this time i don't think there will be any survivors.. hold onto your hats boys we may have a nuclear winter.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Dont worry the world as it right now WAR is the last thing on anyones mind..

Well unless you count the militaryindustrial complex..

But for now they have been told NO WAR because the USA is BROKE.

only thing israel will be doing is the same old same old "crying a river"..

they are both full of xxx and iran wants NP because she is running out of ye old oil.

its more complex than syria picking sides..

If that was the case and i was a smart fellow i would blow the place up and share it with china and russia

ever think of that?

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raider of Truth
I wondered if Israel will do it, as they threatened to attack Iran this month back in September.. does anyone know if Israel have troops or aircraft mobilising?

If this goes down.. Israel WILL be swallowed up.. not one arab nation on this planet will defend their actions and ALL middle eastern arab nations will attack Israel, they are in a lions den surrounded by enemies..

Ironic that Israel is basically the new Nazi Germany and they treat the palestinians and other local arab nations like sub humans.. guess pay backs a bitch

they will start the process of extermination and this time i don't think there will be any survivors.. hold onto your hats boys we may have a nuclear winter.

im not defending israel... but i think they have prven on many occasions they are more than capabale of defeating any of theyre arab neighbors be it one of them or all of them...

en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Hamas, Hezbollah and Syria were always Iranian allies, this isnt a surprise.
This will put a dent in Syria's efforts at gaining back the Gohlan heights.

I think....

Israel will blackmail the US.

'' If you dont help us, we will do it alone. And if we have to do it alone, we will have to use nukes ''

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by TheCoffinman

Except Hezbollah.
This sums up the whole incident

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   

This sums up the whole incident

Let me put it this way: I trust Israel with nukes more than I would even trust Khamenei's thugs with plastic toy guns. How about that for a summation?

[edit on 15-12-2009 by john124]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join