It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EMAILALERT - OBL hanged will crash computer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Just Received this via a Truther -- via Email... I dont know if its true... havent seen one yet come in the shop.

Just verified this with Snopes and it is REAL. ALSO WENT TO TRUTH OR FICTION, IT'S on their site also.

PLEASE INFORM EVERYONE you know! (you can ignore this part I need the work)

E-mails with pictures of Osama Bin-Laden hanged are being sent and the moment that you open these emails your computer will crash and you will not be able to fix it!

1.) If you get an e-mail along the lines of 'Osama Bin Laden Captured' or 'Osama Hanged' , don't open the Attachment!!!!

This e-mail is being distributed through countries around the globe, but mainly in the US and Israel .

Be considerate & send this warning to whomever you know.

PLEASE FORWARD THIS WARNING AMONG FRIENDS, FAMILY AND CONTACTS:

2.) You should be alert during the next few days:

Do not open any message with an attached file called 'Invitation' regardless of who sent it.

It is a virus that opens an Olympic Torch which 'burns' the whole hard disc C of your computer!!!!

This virus will be received from someone who has your e-mail address in his/her contact list, that is why you should send this E-mail to all=20 your contacts.

It is better to receive this message 25 times than to receive the virus and open it.

If you receive e-mail called 'invitation', even though sent by a friend. Do not open it!!! Shut down your computer immediately!!!!

This is the worst virus announced by CNN, it has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive virus ever.

This virus was discovered by McAfee yesterday, and there is no repair yet for this kind of virus.

This virus simply destroys the Zero Sector of the Hard Disc, where the vital information is kept.

YEA, YEA YEA .... promises promises .... I need the work -- crash those computers.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Uhm, this seems to be a bit outdated?. Just checked snopes myself (since you didn't bother providing a link)

snopes.com...

Thank you for spamming a chain email

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Ok, thanks for the post.

Does this only apply to Windows, or can I feel smug for using Linux?

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Yes, you can feel quite smug, things like this do not have any effect on Linux. I guess Windows users will just have to put up with this, I am sure M$ will come out with a "patch" to fix it, as usual. I am a repairman too, and haven't seen this yet, but if I do, it will provide an excellent opportunity to introduce new people to Linux. The biggest complaint I have been getting is Vista users are complaining of their computer becoming really slow after a month or so. Most opt for a tuned version of XP that I happen to have, or they opt for Linux, as several have lately.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 08:02 AM
link   
You have copy righted that from Democratic Underground it was originaly sent posted September 25, 2006. Here is the website...

www.democraticunderground.com...

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   
This thread has been dreamed outdated by 4 years. No need telling your friends unless your stuck in the summer of '05.

oh and to make it clear.

Both trojans were easily detected and removed with updated virus protection software, and neither Osama message is circulating widely or poses much of a threat to PC users any more.

[edit on 15-12-2009 by mosesgunner]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I know this is probably covered elsewhere on here, but everytime I see a new virus pop up, I tend to notice a slew of Anti-Virus adverts popping up, now I know that the majority of advertising online is targeted these days...

...but does anyone wonder if Microsoft is perpetuating viruses as a means to sell more anti-virus?

I converted to Xubuntu for my laptop as I was really getting pissed off with Vista for numerous reasons, I'm sure anyone that's used it for more than a month will empathise. One of my friends has been using it for a while and recommended the conversion, after a few teething troubles on the install it's all plain sailing. I like the fact my laptop starts up from "cold" in under a minute and does things very sensibly now.

Here's my thread banging on about the benefits of Linux/Ubuntu/Xubuntu...

IT'S FREE TOO!

www.belowtopsecret.com...

top topics

join