It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Octopus snatches coconut and runs

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by x2Strongx

Sorry. Are you a moderator?
Where it should go is blocked and we are directed here. Incredible things are here and this is pretty incredible for the uninitiated...lol
But I guess you are right it shouldn't be in climate change or environment topic...unless you want to get a last look at invertebrate bio-diversity before their inevitable extinction.

[edit on 15-12-2009 by rusethorcain]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by tmleleaux
I love seeing these kind of things! I am an avid scuba diver and when you see octopi in the ocean, you do not mess with them. The are smart enough that if you touch them they do not just wrap around your arm or leg and stay there; they will go strait for your face and rip your regulator out of your mouth and mask off your face! I wonder what other things these amazing creatures can do that we have not seen yet?

What's an octopi ?!

Is it used to measure the circumference of an octopuses head?!

It's not a Latin word, it's Latinised Greek.. But all hail the new English language..

U no I r Rite!

I've been fascinated by cephalopods for as long as I can remember. They are very intelligent animals.. And I'm suprised so far no ones blathered on about how yummy they are, it's inevitable... 8[

I still think one of the funniest stories about an octopus was one being studied, kept in a lab with other marine creatures. One morning the scientists discovered that the crabs in the tank across the room were missing.

After replacing them, the next day they found once more they were gone.

So they set up a camera to observe who was coming in and stealing the crabs but on viewing the recording the next day, they watch as the octopus climbs out of his tank, scurries across the floor, climbs into the crabs tank, munches away on them, climbs back out, across the floor again and back into his own tank... All innocent

And if you've ever seen cuttlefish playing with people in tanks, they're just like little puppies, playful, curious, interested as much in those who've come along to see them. I remember seeing a video on youtube of some people recording some cuttlefish in an aquarium, and the person doing it decided to trick the thing and show it the video of itself.... It turns all funky colours and got pretty peeved, is how it seemed. Funny to watch tho.

Makes it hard to just see people disregard them as bait and food with no concern. But then, people are people...

[edit on 15/12/2009 by Ha`la`tha]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Ha`la`tha

They are yummy.
Another aquarium story, not as fun though.
My cousin had a tank with a little octopus in it. It was his pride and joy. It was fascinating to watch it stalk and attack its prey. One morning my cousin found the cover glass slid back from the top of the tank and the octopus missing from the tank. Found it later about half way across his yard, too late. The little guy made a break for it but the ocean was a long, long, way.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by x2Strongx

The reason I posted this in the 'Fragile Earth' section is to remind everyone just exactly what we could lose should we continue on our path of "destroy everything for profit"...

Things such as this are just too amazing, too beautiful and too wonderful to lose.

We must help as many as we can to see and experience these things in order for us to understand.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

Fair enough

Your right though... the amazing sites under the oceans is amazing. There is so much we don't know and species we haven't seen.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
People laughed at me when I told them octopuses were smarter than dogs and dolphins. Now I have some proof. I have always hated the taste of octopus and told people not to eat them because they are so smart. Having dated an octopus research scientist I learned much about them. To eat them is obscene. You might as well eat dolphin.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by earthdude

But dolphins are warm blooded, smile, and live longer than a year.
And oh yeah, Flipper was a dolphin.

[edit on 12/15/2009 by Phage]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

And luckily, for earthdude at least, so are, and do, octopus reasearch scientists

I wonder if said scientist had a lovely pair of coconuts??

[edit on 15-12-2009 by Extralien]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   

they are mollusks, the only ones beside slugs that don't have an outer shell.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   

i remember reading about something, by someone (can't remember who or what it was called) but it said that a bunch of monkeys miles apart on separate islands, learned to wash their potatoes in the sea, as it enhances flavor, afte one monkey learned how.
the writer then went on to suggest that all beings share a telepathic "learning" bond, and that it may be a large component of evolution.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
The next thing you know they will start developing helmets and shields.

Then what? we are screwed, end of story.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Alexander the Great

Do you mean dolphins? If so, I concur.
*Cool vids* the adaptability of some creatures is impressive

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Oh god help us!!!!

Octopi can use tools...

Countdown to Darpa utilizing Octopi as weapons systems 18 Months max...

I expect to see a Giant Octopi capable of holding 8 modified underwater Gatling Guns off the shore of Iran by 2012

Code Name Cthulhu

[edit on 15-12-2009 by mopusvindictus]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

Quick. Everyone to the nearest sushi bar. Eat octopus now! All you can!
Before it's too late.

[edit on 12/15/2009 by Phage]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

lol, i'm being funny but it is kind of sad that whenever I hear about animal intelligence I start to wonder what Darpa will do with it...

To the best of my knowledge they have gotten to Dolphins, Sharks, Insects, rodents, bats and Monkeys thus far (sharks might have just been a bad sci fi channel movie not sure)

Octopi seem to be quite bright on a more serious note...

I have had over 20 Tanks in my life and never have raised an octopus...

sadly i'll need to wait until I get a bigger place because I can't move a Tank that size without endangering the poor thing...

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Amazing , how life evolves and proves us wrong.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   
at a job i worked at before i had to cut a square shaped hole in the octopus head the brain is quite large

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
The plural of cactus is cacti. The plural of octopus is octopuses. I learned this from an expert in the area.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by earthdude

Actually, it would appear that we are all wrong...

Although it is often supposed that octopi is the 'correct' plural of octopus, and it has been in use for longer than the usual Anglicized plural octopuses, it in fact originates as an error. Octopus is not a simple Latin word of the second declension, but a Latinized form of the Greek word oktopous, and its 'correct' plural would logically be octopodes.

www.askoxford.com...

So Octopodes it is!

Quite logical according to the experts..

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
This is a very unscientific thing to say but: that is the cutest thing ever. *laughs*

That one picture it is lounging like a recliner.

Seriously, I have heard Octopus are smart, a lot smarter then we give them credit for. They are fascinating creatures.

I am giving you the rare Nixie star and flag for this very interesting find.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join