It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indonesia unveils a statue of President Barack Obama

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Am I the only one that finds this unbelievably creepy? This reeks to me of positioning a global politician.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Indonesia has unveiled a statue of the American president, Barack Obama, marking the four years of his childhood in Indonesia with his American mother and Indonesian stepfather. In the capital of Jakarta, the 2m bronze statue shows President Obama as a 10-year-old child. The American president went to school in Jakarta and is a local hero to young Indonesians. Karishma Vaswani reports.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Creepy to say the least.

What is that medallion I wonder?

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Do you folks find other statues 'Creepy' too? Or is it only because it's B.O.? Just wondering what makes this particular statue creepy. Personally, I find the statue Venus de Milo creepy...I think it's the missing arms that do it for me.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

No, it's not creepy unless someone gives him a peace prize.

No, it's not creepy unless he bows to king's.

No, it's not creepy unless he plans to sign away US sovereignty.

Yeah it's Creepy. Welcome to the NWO!

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
Do you folks find other statues 'Creepy' too? Or is it only because it's B.O.? Just wondering what makes this particular statue creepy. Personally, I find the statue Venus de Milo creepy...I think it's the missing arms that do it for me.

I find many statues that deify a man creepy. I find this one particularly creepy because it is a country glorifying him because he was there for a couple of years in his youth. They have turned him into a national hero, even though he has done literally nothing for that country.

Its like saying he was an importnat world figure before he was even an adult. kind of like they say with jesus.

How many statues of politicians as children are there around the world?

Again, reeks to me of trying to create a global poltician.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
What do you expect? I lived in Jakarta and can say without questions that Indonesians are the dumbest, most feminine, and useless people on the face of the earth. So naturally they admire a guy like Obama. Plus they have nothing of their own to be proud of, so Obama is the closest thing there is to a famous Indonesian.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
well, of course they find it creepy.

this isnt creepy

this isnt creepy

this isnt creepy

this isnt creepy

but this is creepy

That is the argument that these people are making.

Its okay to make statues of other Presidents, but its creepy to do it of a President we disagree with.

All of that coming from the exact same people who think that

this picture

is a hilariously accurate representation of our president.

Proof in the pudding that there are enough idiots in this country who hate obama, more than they love America...and that is a fact that should worry you all.

[edit on 11-12-2009 by Snarf]

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
We need to use all these statues of Prez's in a game of chess. I'm not touching the Clinton statue, I'll be weird to push a statue of a naked guy playing the sax....oh and there's JFK's statues laying on the ground...with it's head smashed open...too soon? Come on! It's been decades!

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snarf
well, of course they find it creepy.

this isnt creepy

this isnt creepy

this isnt creepy

this isnt creepy

but this is creepy

That is the argument that these people are making.

Its okay to make statues of other Presidents, but its creepy to do it of a President we disagree with.

All of that coming from the exact same people who think that

this picture

is a hilariously accurate representation of our president.

Proof in the pudding that there are enough idiots in this country who hate obama, more than they love America...and that is a fact that should worry you all.

[edit on 11-12-2009 by Snarf]

You are stretching and obviously dont understand the thread.

Of the examples you posted, how many were in foreign countries? Answer: none.

How many were of the people when they were children? Answer: none. They were all mad eof the men AFTER THEIR PRESIDENCY.

I voted for obama. i am not a hater. Get over yourself.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snarf

It's ok to make statues of Presidents (depicted as grown men) who actually did something and had finished a term in office. Not so much a statue of a guy (depicted as a child by the way) who hasn't been president for a year yet, and whose major accomplishment in his presidency is winning a peace prize while overseeing two wars.

Has it become common place to create statues of grown men depicted as children and I somehow missed it? That in itself is kinda creepy all on it's own if you ask me, even ignoring who it's a statue of.

[edit on 11-12-2009 by Jenna]

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Tomis_Nexis

I read your post and your signature. Certainly the two (post and humor) did not meet in this case.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
If you read the BBC article, you'll see that Obama is a superstar and idol for Indonesian children. I can see how he can be an inspiration for Indonesian kids, and this just reflects that. It makes sense to have a statue be relevant to its location, that's why the statue is of him being a kid, especially when the statue is more or less for kids.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I was just wondering who paid for the statue.

Did anyone else think of this.

Here is what I found.

Ron Mullers the head of the Friends for Obama Foundation was and is a Obama Backer.

I assume, if we dug, he probably gave to the Obama campaign. Here is a site where I found some info, and a nice photograph of said person.

ExpatFinder Blog

Amazing, it was not the country that put this thing up but an Obama backing ex-pat. Wow.

Picture-

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7be3328b13aa.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nicodeme
If you read the BBC article, you'll see that Obama is a superstar and idol for Indonesian children. I can see how he can be an inspiration for Indonesian kids, and this just reflects that. It makes sense to have a statue be relevant to its location, that's why the statue is of him being a kid, especially when the statue is more or less for kids.

Let's think about this:

So, you are fine with a foreign country indoctrinating their children to worship a leader of a foreign country? Couldnt be leading a generation to want to follow him as a global president, could it?

Also, why is he a hero to indonesian children? none were born when he was there (for the whopping 3 years he was there). So its the leaders of indonesia teaching their children to worship him.

But hey, no big deal, right?

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe
I was just wondering who paid for the statue.

Did anyone else think of this.

Here is what I found.

Ron Mullers the head of the Friends for Obama Foundation was and is a Obama Backer.

I assume, if we dug, he probably gave to the Obama campaign. Here is a site where I found some info, and a nice photograph of said person.

ExpatFinder Blog

Amazing, it was not the country that put this thing up but an Obama backing ex-pat. Wow.

Picture-

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7be3328b13aa.jpg[/atsimg]

Wow, GREAT FIND! Hadnt even thought to go there.

The 'Friends of Obama' group also has some strong ties t Ken¥a....interesting...

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I think the statue is creepy, but I think that all statues with smiling subjects look creepy. Smiling statues are the "evil clowns" of the art world.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarf

The major difference is the presidents in the other statues all were adult and they actually did something! Erecting statues of an unaccomplished president is a tad premature. [wow too many innuendos there] Lots of kudos from around the world for what was it again?

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
Let's think about this:

So, you are fine with a foreign country indoctrinating their children to worship a leader of a foreign country? Couldnt be leading a generation to want to follow him as a global president, could it?

Also, why is he a hero to indonesian children? none were born when he was there (for the whopping 3 years he was there). So its the leaders of indonesia teaching their children to worship him.

But hey, no big deal, right?

Because he lived there for 4 years, so at least part of him was shaped by his experiences there. They're not worshipping him as a god or anything, but they're idolizing him as a man who came from relatively humble roots, lived in Indonesia for a few years, and became the leader of the free world. Sounds like a story that kids could look up to and try to emulate.

I'm not saying becoming president should automatically get you a statue, but given Obama's roots, I can see why they would look up to him.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Engraved on the base of the statue...

A Young boy Barry played with his mother Ann in Menteng area. He grew up to be the 44th President of the United States and Noble Peace prize winner. Barack Obama.

I never payed much attention to Barack's supposed name as Barry S. but now I guess it's official. No longer conspiracy to me.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Well

Suleyman Demirel
President of Turkey went to college in the U.S. Do we have any statues of him in his late teens?

www.aief-usa.org...

[edit on 11-12-2009 by genius/idoit]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join