It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dumbfounded Over Recent Mars Threads...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Ok, after reading through the mindless drivel in various threads from certain members on ATS regarding "alien structures" on Mars, I have to ask a very serious question because I am truly finding it hard to believe that people in this day and age, with all the educational information at our fingertips, would arrive at the conclusion that OBVIOUS geological formations might have been created by Martians...

My question is, could there possibly be a government element working behind the scenes to completely discredit Ufology as a whole? I can see no other explanation when I read such complete irrational thought. I see nothing more than a blatant attempt to undermine real research in the UFO field by these types of people.

Or am I just expecting to much intelligence from my fellow man?

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jocko Flocko

Lock in number 2, Eddie.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 03:26 AM
link   
You cant disagree with some of the picture, some are just photoshop and alternations however the monolith on Phobos for example does not look natural. I disagree with the majority of the threads however dont think the idea is completley out of the question. Many intelligent people, far more intellegent people than you or I beleive in these structures, some of the clear editing of Moon photos by nasa just adds fuel to the flames.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Far too much...

At first it makes you sad inside, I understand, I was there once. Eventually, and after much frustration, you'll come to realize they do indeed believe that the rocks are cities and artifacts, then will come acceptance, and finally it becomes amusing.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Bingo.

You are expecting to much intelligence from people....

The FACT is.... there are some really really dumb people on this planet. Even worse is that there are thousands of people who actually lack certain perception abilities.

Everything you see with your eyes is actually a mentally generated image. You are not actually looking at the external world or the universe, you are looking at what your mind has created from what it has sensed.

Here is an example I gave on ATS before... Think of a man painting a picture of random scenery. He looks at the scenery, then paints on a canvas of what he sees. The man represents your eyes, and your mind. The canvas represents everything you think you see with your eyes. The scenery is the universe, and external world.

YOU, your mind, never actually sees the external world, or universe... NEVER. All you ever see is the canvas that was created with your eyes and mind.

Everyones mind is different, so their canvas shows something different. Their mind paints something different. Eyes are different too, so the mind doesn't always sense what other minds do, so minds paint differently because of that as well.

Some people, their minds are not capable of painting certain aspects of the external world.

Some minds are so over active, over imaginative, creative, or even delusional, or lacking, that their minds will paint a more complicated picture on the canvas than what is actually there. The opposite is true too, they will paint less than what is there.

Some minds are super accurate, and detailed, and will paint everything, and miss nothing on the canvas. The canvas will be a masterpiece, and everything in the world will look beautiful to them.

Know what I mean?

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Do not underestimate the power of the (convinced) mind.

You see it every day in religion why not here?

When one is so desperate to believe they will see evidence where there is none.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 04:58 AM
link   
In some cases, people actually believe to see something: it happened even to me in the past. Lack of knowledge in appearance of impact craters formations, for example, makes you think that you are observing strange stuff whenever you look at some central peaked crater. Also ejecta can get shapet in strange ways, plus ejecta itself can be made of different material, looking totally different from the surrounding area.
And this is somehow understandable.
But those who see monkeys and crocodiles in EVERY image from Mars (especially Mars rovers' ones) are beyond any possible explanation, if you ask me.
Anyway there are some actually puzzling images from Mars Orbiter Camera, not claiming that they show something, just saying that i'd like to take a closer look

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Good effort to start your 1st thread on ATS

however, I find posts like these just as annoying that offer nothing new

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 06:01 AM
link   
I believe there is a concerted effort by the government to cover up the existence of UFOs and any evidence of ancient civilization...on Earth, Mars or the Moon.

I also find it difficult to understand why so many people have a totally closed mind to the possibility of life either current or of ancient civilizations on Mars or anywhere but Earth for that matter.

It you look at the Mars photographs... you see what appears to be a humanoid statue sitting with an outstretched arm. There is the "face" at cydonia, there are the areas where there appear to be huge trees, there are things lying around that are obviously of intelligent design. Those with totally closed minds look at those things and simply cannot accept even the remote possibility that it might just be something done by someone other than the supremely arrogant occupants of planet Earth. I feel sorry for those people. Their ancestors proclaimed the Earth was flat and was the center of the universe among a whole host of other misguided thoughts.
Thankfully there are those who look and question and think for themselves and realize there probably is a world outside the cave our mind is trapped in.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Jocko Flocko

Dumbfounded Over Recent Mars Threads...

Realize first that most people here are offering a layman's view of subjects that would otherwise be out of reach for discussion. This is not a scientific peer review board. It is, to the contrary, a public common.

If you feel you have some necessary education and/or experience to bring to our table, then by all means please do. No one here is too smart that we can't learn a thing or two.

As for disinformation and agents of deception, yes. There are many here who are worried that such exist in their midst. My personal view is that it is more paranoia than a real threat but even if there is a sinister fifth column, the best way to deal with them would be to remain calm and simply weigh each opinion, each submission on its merits... just like we would any other.

That's the 'deny ignorance' thing.

Best

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 06:56 AM
link   

I have long wondered whether there has been a serious effort to discredit anything UFO by associating it with intangibles, and using UFOs as a way to misdirect people. Peoples reaction to the recent Russian missile test in Norway being a good recent example. Even though air exclusion was announced that night on NAVTEX, and a test scheduled for the end of 2009. Far better, from a secrecy perspective, for people to say UFO first, and military (or potential 'death from above') second. In that case it was semi-public knowledge the missile was going to be tested at the end of 2009.

If it was a secret test people would still be arguing that it was a UFO, and accusing people who said it was a missile of being disinfo agents. And the mainstream press would ignore it or report it as a wacky UFO story, complete with interviews with Nick Pope (or the geolocal equivalent). Which helps secrecy a great deal by misdirecting people.

Even if that were the case that disinformation in that context is useful I think it's so 'which came first, the chicken or the egg', because in order to deceive they wouldn't have to do it directly. Just encourage hardcore believers to do it for them, by sufficiently muddying the waters so that its possible for them to operate. I feel the same way about NASA receiving so much attention, I think people with stuff to hide would prefer NASA gets attention than them.

I have UFO as a keyword in TweetDeck, so I receive realtime mentions of UFOs on Twitter, and the number of people saying "Norway Spiral: Disclosure imminent????!!!", even after the test was confirmed, is very, very, depressing.

[edit on 10-12-2009 by jackphotohobby]

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I don't think you've considered that people spend hours upon hours pouring over the steady stream of Mars images. And with even a thousand people doing that, there are bound to be a handful of them who are exceptionally gullible posting things about how they have found something.

And I'd like to point out the Mars "pyramids" really do look like pyramids. Not very good ones to be sure... very eroded... but they are there and they are shaped like heavily eroded pyramids.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by jackphotohobby

I do believe it was a Russian missile test as you suggest but still that photo looks very fake and I think the only way it could look that fake is if someone tried to fake it. And on reason they could be faking it would be what you are suggesting... to discredit the UFO crowd who will look at the photo, see that it looks nothing like a missile test, and then say so in public. I'm sorry but the most clear photo simply does not look real... whether it is real or not. Most people look at it and assume its a photoshop job.

[edit on 10-12-2009 by truthquest]

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 07:30 AM
link   
expat2368 I may be able to help you with the face on Mars:

Face on Mars

I get the OP, personally I love to study the geology and structure of Mars, have done for years, at no time have I seen anything that would convince me there are structures on the surface, but it's each to their own, I find it rather amusing, go with it, you never know one day there may be a find that will blow all our minds...

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   

ook, who is thoe bigger idiot? the person that plays the part of the intellectual that cannot spell something as simple as the word 'too' that will carry on misusing large words to make themselves sound more educated than they choose to be? The person that has an education but doesnt want to rock the proverbial boat so this person goes with what is popular in opinion? the person that uses their education to allow themselves to see what isnt accepted by mainstream science (which is showing signs every day of being.... rigged, flawed, choose your term *we see this in the copenhagen talks that are taking place because of fraudulent "scientific reports" as proved by a small group of hackers)? Or the person that cannot explain said phenom so they automatically go with what they are told?

When certain things on other worlds (Other worlds being key) are seen that we cannot explain we look to NASA, even though they have repeatedly lied to the people, and this is ironic because even those that say "Oh there's nothing on the moon or mars because NASA said so" will say NASA lies, yet when it comes to things leaving us with little to no explanation, "Oh NASA has been there for years blah blah blah.. its just a freak set of rocks that always coincidentally look like these amazing things."
NASA has been caught in almost every lie. Why people still believe them after seeing all the proof they need to see (colour tampering, information tampering, photograph tampering, NAZI sympathising). Now I will agree that most of what is posted looks pretty much like rocks, but now and again, there is that one picture that just.... defies this explanation. To me, it makes more sense to go with the guys that spent their entire lives devoted to mathematics, astrophysics, and geophysics that say "hey. this could be pretty important" Then if I find out later on these guys are full of sh**, and dont have any of the degree's they said they have, ok I will bite the proverbial bullet and say "my mistake". Bottom line is this question: Who is the bigger idiot? the people with engineering degrees, that spot certain strange 'structures' on Mars, or the people that claim NASA Lies, but follow anyway. To me the answer is OBVIOUSLY clear.

[edit on 10-12-2009 by stanlee]

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I agree with what you're saying, the last couple of "Mars artifact" threads I've seen have had pretty much nothing of value.
I too wondered if this might be some sort of attempt to discredit ufology, though I don't know if they would really go that far, it is certainly possible in my opinion even if it does seem a little silly.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Its well known that some elements of the establishment would like for our little community to be silenced , and the easiest way of doing it is to simply spam our boards with misinformation and propeganda.
However, fear not, the truely enlightened see these things for what they are, and rise above them . Just keep your head in the game and carry on regardless !

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
for the threads ...yes they are pretty out there

but that doesn't mean there arn't any structures on mars...or the moon

some pictures say otherwise :/

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Traumacrazy

I'd be interested in said pic's that say otherwise on Mars, links please, and I've seen many many photos of what look like rocks in this or that formation resembling faces, skulls and the like but not photo's that say otherwise

I'm not having a go either I'm genuinely interested

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Majestic RNA

eh sorry i didn't keep them ...i just surf the internet and look at them and then pass on by

im not really an organized person...wish i was

heck i might have them on my computer and not even know it...sigh

but if i come across them again i'll post them

top topics

<<   2 >>

join