It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swat team removes man from home after bar fight

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Again I'm not arguing that the guy didn't deserve to be apprehended it was the manner in which it was done. It seems to me that this could have been done in a much more civil fashion.

I'm more worried about people getting used to the idea that a SWAT team needs to be called out every time there is a bar fight. You don't use a chainsaw to peel a potato. (unless your making hashbrowns)

The problem I have with this is the cops look like storm troopers and from watching the video the locals didn't seem to happy with the approach either. But thats what they want is to intimidate the crap out of everyone.

When these guys come a kncokin'...your not in Kansas anymore.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Overwhelming force is the norm now for most areas. ......

I'm glad I still live in a town small enough that the cops and firefighters are all generational townies and everyone knows everybody. Very Andy Griffith. If the state cops or Feds came in the town cops would be more supportive of the residents and suspicious of the intruders.

The next county over from me in N. Florida, the sheriff is so pro-federal, they say bend over and he asks "How far?" Just recently, we had a federal multi-office "task force" in that county. The locals reported, among other things, black-clad ninja-type police teams that were trespassing on farms and homesteads in the wee hours of the night. These federal troops did not interact with the locals during these clandestine operations.

In my little hamlet we've got two dirty cops. But they are "local" so they can pretty much do what they want. I would not trust either group to serve-n-protect our interests. These people are running their own agenda.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
the guy was obviously psycho and had problems with police before.

In 2008, Coffey was charged with attempted theft, battery and criminal mischief after a taxi driver said he had been punched in the face.

According to court records, police were dispatched to the Berlin Avenue home on Dec. 6, 2008, where a 29-year-old driver for Blue Ribbon Taxi said he had picked up Coffey from the Elks Lodge that evening.

The driver said Coffey was clearly intoxicated and asked to be driven to his home on Berlin Avenue, where he was asked to pay the fare. The driver said Coffey became enraged and refused to pay. He then grabbed the driver’s portable radio that was sitting nearby and started to exit the cab.

The driver grabbed Coffey by the jacket, and Coffey reportedly lunged at the victim, punching him the face and arms. Coffey then went inside his home, and the driver called 911.

Before police arrived, the driver said Coffey came back outside with an aluminum baseball bat and started to attack the driver's vehicle. Police say they observed a visible dent in the car.

Officers then went to Coffey's home and knocked. He eventually answered. Police say he had a "crazed" look in his eyes, describing them as "wide opening without blinking." He fought officers as he was being physically restrained and taken to jail.

Coffey later pleaded guilty to the theft as a felony, and as part of the agreement, the other counts were dropped. He was sentenced to two years, which was all suspended and ordered to serve the time on probation.

www.wsbt.com...

the no warrant thing bugs me bad.

[edit on 12/9/2009 by mahtoosacks]

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
here is a link to the video...

I counted 12-14 swat team members. Thats a lot of tax dollars to apprehend someone sleeping. Also without a warrant?

www.wsbt.com...

Read some of the local comments I find them to be as interesting as anything!

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
i live in a fairly small speck of a town we don't have a stop light or a grocery.
well about middle of august this year i was at my neighbors house when her pillpopping druck of a brother stumbled up to house asking for me to call him an ambulance i said why nick he said he wanted to goto hospital then he fell down. i helped him up to a chaie on porch and called him a ride ambalance picked him up and 30 minutes later 6 sheriff cruisers and around 10 deputies showed up all of them were wearing military style coveralls not standard brown duty uniform for county wanting to know why we had beat up nick. confused i asked them what were they talking about. they said the doctor was under the impression he was there for a beating i explained to them he went to hospital for drugs and any injures he had were self inflicted. after 30 minutes and 10 witnesses they left afterward i noticed i had blood on my shirt from picking him up of ground earlier. they failed to notice that. what i happened to notice was thar one of the cruisers had a rack with a brand new m4 tricked out with reddot scope and a cannister launcher beside mossberg 12 gauge pump. why did it take 10 deputies for this call who knows but largest town in my county only has 3000 people in population why do deputies need m4s

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Recently, an associate of mine went home argued with the wife, drank liquor and passed out on his couch. Wife went to neighbor's home crying. Neighbor's assumed he had "beat" her and called police. Police came to my associate's home, attacked him while he was sleeping, arrested him and hauled him to jail.

The wife refused to press charges and denied any wrongdoing on the husband's part.

The husband still had to pay restitution and do one year of probation for "resisting arrest".

He was asleep. Minding his own business. Now he is a criminal through no fault of his own. Just like thousands of other Americans.

Our "nation of laws" is nothing more than a "nation of oppression" as far as I am concerned.

EDIT: I forgot to add that, the officers who entered my associate's home and arrested him were driving unmarked cars and were not uniformed.

[edit on 9-12-2009 by slimpickens93]

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by proteus33

A better question is why are "we the people" paying for those m4's?

Is it because of all the "terrorists" and "gangsters" in your little town of 3000?

Or is it because we are being tricked/forced into paying for our own oppression and enslavement?

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I stand by the long assertion, most officers, and I mean MOST, were high school bullies to dumb for law school and too cowardly for a life of crime.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I've been pondering a new career and I think I 've found it. I will just follow the SWAT team around but instead of offering lawyer services I will fix broken door locks. Cha-CHING!!

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I've discussed this at length with friends of mine in and out of law enforcement. My belief is that "SWAT" or special enforcement details as they are called where I'm at are some of the worst things to happen to law enforcement. When the SWAT concept was put into practice in LA originally it was to meet a need. And the team was successful and very helpful. The problem is that now so many calls that should be handled (or at least calls that "should be able to be handled") by patrol personnel are put off while SWAT is called.

There was a time when a call like this would have caused a group of patrolmen to get together and go arrest the guy (I don't want to argue the merits of the arrest. Please spare me the headache).

Again, this is just an example of SWAT being a negative effect on all of law enforcement.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Here are more related SWAT team stories from my local area:

www.wsbt.com...

www.wsbt.com...

www.wsbt.com...

www.wsbt.com...

I especially love the one where they raided the wrong house and nearly gave an edlerly couple a heart attack! Pure incompetance...

They only one I agree with is the Meth lab bust, those things are so unstable you need a bomb team to take them down. Otherwise not one of these cases represent the need for a SWAT team scaring the hell out of everyone around them...

I going to continue to monitor the SWAT team activities in my area and see if it escalates.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join