It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tomatos as political discourse?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
OMG pies and tomatoes are so horrendous.

Next thing you know it will be outrageous for someone to wear a pink shirt.

This so called crime is hardly anything like the pre-emptive strikes ordered and approved of by the very same type of politicians. Instead of jeers those get cheers.

That is whats wrong with this country today.

The very same people outraged at pie and tomato throwing are the same people who have no problem with throwing depleted uranium and bombs at innocent people. Those result in deaths, not a trip to the washroom to clean up.

Get lucid.

"No your honor I was only trying to give him a taste of the pie and it slipped"

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by watcher73
OMG pies and tomatoes are so horrendous.

Well now, that depends very greatly on the context, doesn't it? If it was someone who's opinion you shared, I'm fairly certain, given your comments further down, your outrage would be a bit stronger...

Next thing you know it will be outrageous for someone to wear a pink shirt.

Only if your wearing it with lime green pants. A fashion faux pau...

This so called crime is hardly anything like the pre-emptive strikes ordered and approved of by the very same type of politicians. Instead of jeers those get cheers.

Who said it's a crime? It's rude...and unnecessary.

That is whats wrong with this country today.

Let's keep it in perspective here, shall we? It's rude, yes... Unnecessary...yes. The end of civilization as we know it? Not yet, though it is indicative of a downward spiral in civilized behaviour amongst people.

The very same people outraged at pie and tomato throwing are the same people who have no problem with throwing depleted uranium and bombs at innocent people. Those result in deaths, not a trip to the washroom to clean up.

Wow. I have an issue with someone throwing a tomato at someone, and suddenly I'm the second coming of Tamerlame? Huh...wow.

Get lucid.

I haven't had an episode in a while now...the doctors remain hopeful... Rude, much?

"No your honor I was only trying to give him a taste of the pie and it slipped"

Tomato, not pie... Tomato.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   

She is still addressed as such. As is any politician out of office. Or so that's my understanding. A courtesy, nothing more...

Well seeing as she quit her job as governor before her term was up, I would say that she did not earn the honor of such a courtesy.

On the topic of the OP... It was funny, although it would have been much better had it hit her right between the eyes. Of course that is my opinion clearly.

Was it necessary? No, and I am sure that the guy is regretting his actions a little, but I also don't feel that it is indicative of any downward spiral that we are headed towards.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Majiq

Really? You don't see this as symptomatic of a deeper decline in civil discourse? Not just in politics, either, but society in general? Calling someone a vile name is now "keepin' it real", or common everyday courtesy of opening a door for someone...

In and of itself, no, throwing a tomato at someone isn't going to signify the end of civilization as we know it... but taken as an example of a larger problem it could very well be. Your own comment that you wish it had hit her between the eyes...really? What does that accomplish that couldn't have been done better by word, either written or spoken?

Political madness, indeed... ...and the rest of society, if we're not careful, right along with it. Tomato throwing becomes acceptable, what's next to become acceptable? Bombs? Knives? ...and yes, I know this happens already in the world. Here, we're talking about the United States. Our political discourse was never perfect, but there are, or were rather, boundaries that weren't to be crossed... But now, political dirty tricks are common place, an entire news bureau at CBS has lost much, if not all, of it's credibility due to shenanigans of this sort. Yet instead of being vilified for it, the perpetrators colleagues rush to his defense. This is the fourth estate, the true guarantors of our freedoms that did this... Shouldn't we worry?

Yes, I'm reading a lot into this event. Shouldn't we all? When political discourse is hampered in any way, officially or unofficially, we're all the poorer for it. That free wheeling, all opinions welcome, free for all that should be American politics is in very real danger here.

...and contrary to popular opinion here on ATS it's not just the GOP. It's not just the Dems... It's not just any one group or groups of people. It's all of us. Some for doing it, and perhaps more shamefully, the rest of us for allowing it to happen in the first place.

A thrown tomato...

For want of a nail...

Not a whole lot of difference if you think about it.

[edit on 1/16/2010 by seagull]

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Excellent post seagull, you not only tell it like it is but tell the truth, thanks.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I feel that vegtable violence is not the answer. In the same breathl, I feel that many political leaders in the past 2 decates need a can of Red Gold's chucked at the noggin's. It brings up the image of a bad stage play with an audience full of farmers....fresh after harvest.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by seagull

The history of throwing tomatoes goes back a little further than this. If throwing tomatoes in protest is a sign of civil decline then that decline started way before the current generation.

Your own comment that you wish it had hit her between the eyes...really? What does that accomplish that couldn't have been done better by word, either written or spoken?

All it would have accomplished is covering Sarah Palin's face with tomato which in my opinion would have been quite funny, and worth a few watches. Could it have been handled in a more appropriate way, yes, and I stated in my previous post that it was not necessary. Would he have gotten a better response by writing or speaking out? I absolutely don't think that him speaking out or writing a letter would have gotten a response at all so I would have to say no.

Who knows, maybe if every American who has tried speaking or writing to various political figures only to be ignored started pelting them with tomatoes every time they spoke, then maybe they would start to listen.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Majiq

Just because it's been done in the past, does not make it acceptable now... I'd like to think that we've progressed a little bit as a society...

I feel this is a sign, and not a good one, of a sharp decline in the civility of political discourse. You, quite obviously, disagree. That's cool (where's that tomato? I just had it...
.), we can agree to disagree.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
reply to post by Majiq

Just because it's been done in the past, does not make it acceptable now... I'd like to think that we've progressed a little bit as a society...

I agree with that statement. I was just pointing out that it's not a new practice.

I feel this is a sign, and not a good one, of a sharp decline in the civility of political discourse. You, quite obviously, disagree. That's cool (where's that tomato? I just had it...
.), we can agree to disagree.

I took your first comments to mean that this was a sign of the decline of civilization beginning. That I disagree with, but a decline in the civility of political discourse is an idea that I can agree with.

What do politicians think will happen after years of proving to the public that their words are meaningless. The opinions of the people are as valid with our government as the opinions of our livestock. A decline in the civility of political discourse... Indeed, and I hope more and more join in until the government has no choice but start to listen.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join