It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tomatos as political discourse?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Unbelievable...

Tomato thrower attacks Gov. Palin.

Is this the level to which our political discourse has fallen? We've gone from the Lincoln-Douglas debates to this...

Sometimes I do indeed worry about my country...

Freedom of speech, the God given, constitutionally protected right to jabber about whatever suits your fancy...

So this dweeb, no doubt a living example of why brothers and sisters should not marry and procreate, disagrees with Ms. Palins views on many topics. Great, cool, not a problem...but his only argument is to throw a vegetable? My, my, how erudite...damn near brings tears to my eyes with the eloquence.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

There's one in every crowd. I was reading the link to the story (I do that sometimes) and saw this-

Neither tomato came close to hitting Palin, but they did hit a police officer in the face.

So was he throwing at Palin and missed, or did he take a bead on the officer and score a direct hit?

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
There is bad behavior on all sides of the current political debates.

I think vegetable throwing has been an aspect of American politics since the beginning of the country.

It happens when one cannot craft an intelligent or civil response to something one disagrees with.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

There is bad behavior on all sides of the current political debates.

Never for a moment believed otherwise. It would have been just as disgusting if it had been someone else entirely...

This sort of behaviour is uncalled for, uncivil, and not to put too fine a point on it, self defeating.

This clown should go to jail for criminal stupidity, if nothing else...j/k.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Perhaps he thought she needed more lycopene?

Got to admit, that was pretty sad.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Not a fan of Palin by any means but some people need to get a life, I would never harm someone because I don't like them, I agree with you seagull in the sense, what has happened to our Country,??? Sad indeed.

S&F

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Not a fan of Miss Sarah either, but I do think she's maturing politically (whatever the hell that means).

I don't see her in a presidential or even close cabinet slot, however I do think she has something to contribute, something beneficial to say.

Lobbing tomatoes, or any produce should be relegated to voting days in Congress -- they could think of it as a new and colorful way to express dissent.

It would make millions on pay-per-view.

I think I just solved 1/3 of the deficit.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Personally I would much prefer a tomato to brown wingtip.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

She's not a politician, she's a msm "journalist" *giggles and throws up a little* ...

As such, she is legitimately subject to targeted produce catapultism (tm pending) ...

No but yes, tomato throwing is bad form, even if she did say Jehovah.

[edit on 15 Jan 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

She is a politician, she just between gigs so to speak... I suspect she'll run for the Senate, or House, in 2012...

She's not even remotely ready for the White House, if she ever is...

Pundit, or politician, it was uncalled for.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Well, as she isn't currently elected to any office let's just say she's a political figure/personality ... but yes I agree with you, tomato throwing is an indictment on how low political discourse has sunk in this country. Not a surprise though, as it is just the physical manifestation of the proverbial mudslinging ... the way things have been going it was bound to come to this.

Yet somehow I can't help but remember how the infamous "shoe thrower" was hailed as a hero by many ... but then again, his reasons carried more weight.

[edit on 15 Jan 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
reply to post by seagull

We Canadians prefer to conduct our higher forms of political discourse using cream pies.

Wacka, wacka, wacka!!

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Tomato's dont stink, crack a egg and put it outside for a couple of days.
now that is political discourse.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Originally posted by whaaa
reply to post by seagull

We Canadians prefer to conduct our higher forms of political discourse using cream pies.

Wacka, wacka, wacka!!

In denmark we're into red paint. Think pies taste better

[edit on 15-1-2010 by flymetothemoon]

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
What a waste of tomato on a waste person
..would had made sense if it was rotten.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Now that was a direct hit Johnny.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Yes this was disgusting

I may not like Mrs Palin but this attack was certainly unacceptable and thrower is in part whats wrong with this country, just like the views of Palin.

On another note Palin is not the governor anymore. She quit that job afew months back..... remember?

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

She is still addressed as such. As is any politician out of office. Or so that's my understanding. A courtesy, nothing more...

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

Unless of course you agreed with the opinions of the person having the veggie thrown at them...

...then your outrage would be palpable...

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sestias

I think vegetable throwing has been an aspect of American politics since the beginning of the country.

It happens when one cannot craft an intelligent or civil response to something one disagrees with.

It also could happen because even though people do "Say something"

They aren't being listened too.

It's a act out of frustration.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join