It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops Taze Unarmed Naked Man to Death for "Walking Toward Them'

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rhetoric
I'm actually surprised that this thread is getting so much play, considering this is nothing new here in the US, there are constant reports of the Police using the Taser inappropriately.

Again, my perspective.......

The Taser should be used as a 1-step down from using their service pistol, not as a 1-step up from giving a verbal command.

I think they did in their minds use it in place of their pistol. There are so many cases now of cops gone wild, shooting with abandon. How about the poor guy in his yard who was shot numerous times (and died) for, drumroll, "brandishing a rake"?

I have not considered cops "my friend" for many many years. I actually view them as the enemy. It is true, they are never there when you actually need one. Are they making regular drive-bys of women's houses who have filed protective orders? No. They are hiding behind some bushes somewhere w/ radar on city streets, waiting to write someone a $150 ticket for going 9 friggin miles over the speed limit. They are worthless bullies in my opinion. Of course there are a few exceptions, but the good ones get out of the racket as soon as they can.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ha`la`tha

Originally posted by GorehoundLarry
I'd probably taze him too or take some kind of physical force. Who knew how dangerous or unstable the naked guy could be.

I mean, he's naked...and coming towards you. Take his a$$ down.

Yeah, you wanna see the vid on ogrish..

I know.. hehe

but you'd get the "NO GORE GTFO" mob on you.

Unless it's a different set of style on UR.

jokes on you,

Ogrish is no more

and hey, come on over to UR and see for yourself!

[edit on 8-12-2009 by GorehoundLarry]

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Demoncreeper

You make a good point and ultimately it is a very sad situation. I dont blame the officer exactly, it just seems they use taser a little frivolously. I could not say for sure what I would have done in the officers situation, as I was not there, risking my life to keep others safe.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ha`la`tha

I'd probably taze him too or take some kind of physical force. Who knew how dangerous or unstable the naked guy could be.

I mean, he's naked...and coming towards you. Take his a$$ down.

Yeah, you wanna see the vid on ogrish..

I know.. hehe

but you'd get the "NO GORE GTFO" mob on you.

Unless it's a different set of style on UR.

jokes on you,

Ogrish is no more

and hey, come on over to UR and see for yourself!

[edit on 8-12-2009 by GorehoundLarry]

Oh ?

The forums still there, and yeah it all points to liveleakage but still, the same crew!! Tha dark side still has it's employes.

You know DoS ? I know she's on UR. I need to find out where she is these days, outside of turbulent disaster areas.

Hehe Im waiting for the nightmares to cease before I can return to the old ways. 8]~~ 3 guys 1 hammer did my head in for a bit.

9 years of mind boggling stuff, from dans gallery to where it is now. Life never stops being massively barbaric eh!

PS: I am on UR, remember the jackson vid I sent you

just not regularly.

[edit on 8/12/2009 by Ha`la`tha]

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bombeni
Pepper spray would have been the answer here, spray him long enough to confuse him and take him down.

They haven't acquired the nickname PIG for nothing. Actually that would be flattery for these two.

According to the tribe, thats no good. He may have walked into oncoming traffic and died if they'd sprayed him!

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by moniker

Originally posted by bad man incorporated
The cops didn't kill him, the tazer did.

And I suppose you didn't post that, your computer did?

BEST POST!

How that just encapsulates the entire concept of owning actions, is brilliantly put into context here.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
I would like to know how the OP would have subdued this individual in the middle of this psychotic episode? Letting a naked man run around in traffic is not an option as he's liable to cause an accident and hurt other(s) including himself.

GIVE THE MEDICINE THE CHANCE TO WORK for starters. I have 2 PSD's in my family who often for some reason strip naked. No one really knows why they do it, but it is never because they are gonna use their naked body parts to hurt someone. Fortunately, the authorities are aware of these individuals so we don't have to worry too much about something like this happening, but they usually send someone who has training (a counselor for example) to talk them down. For the most part, it works and the very first thing they do is put their clothes back on.
And for all of you who fear nudity to that extent, get over yourselves. Next you'll be saying being nude is the same as threatening to shoot someone. Honestly! I often wonder when the denial of ignorance will come. gesh!

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
How many years have law enforcement taken care of simular circumstances without taser because they didnt exist? When I was a youngster we just believed that was part of being a cop. The risks come with the job when serving the public. Note I said serving the public, because thats not whats being done anymore. Tasers should only be in case of truly violent situations where something short of a gun is needed and nothing else will do the job. Of course it used to be harder to become law enforcement then as well with batteries of tests regarding health, fitness and mental health preceded any hire to the force.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Subdueing naked guys is not what police signed up for. Is it in the police manual? Who was it that said it was easier to kill a million people then to control them. This is just one person but seems to be the same principal. Is it easier for the police to kill troublemakers or crazies or burn victims then to keep them alive? Of course we want the police to do what is easiest and most economical for them. There should be something in their training manuals or recruitment brochures that would discourage lazy cops or those who can't stand the sight of blood or burn victims or naked crazies and don't want to get their hands dirty. Meantime more power to the poor population who have their police trained by those who were trained by Gestapo and SS from paperclip.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by spec_ops_wannabe
reply to post by Rhetoric

You're being sarcastic, right?
I mean honestly, if you had to deal with some guy with mental health problems who had his clothes off and you were expected to bring him in?
I for one if I were in the same spot as that traffic cop, I'd use the taser immediately because I don't want to tackle a naked guy who is probably unstable and therefore unpredictable if he was having an "episode" like that.
Common sense pal, the guy was likely a threat to himself and the people around him, especially if he went so far as to get completely buttocks naked in public.

Well, actually I hope the police are trained to handle people with mental health problems more effectively then having to resort to Taz'ing the poor folks. They have enough problems in their lives.

They could have come better prepared for this situation. Heck, even a NET would have subdued the individual.

Especially when the police were informed of the circumstances when his wife called and they were told her husband only needed some time to let the medicine get into his blood stream.

Unfortunately, the police rely on this tazers to often when confronting people of the public. What happened to that sticky FOAM, or rubber bullets, baton's, handcuff's, Nets... etc...

Lots of alternatives to using a tazer in this case and MANY others...

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Please remember that the cops have families to go home to just like you. Why would you risk getting stabbed or whatever taking someone down hand to hand when you can tase them? People have a terrible misconception of the martial art abilities and physical conditioning of the average police officer. They don't want to be humiliated getting their butt kicked by some nut any more than you do. After all, they're the law.
If you think they should be some kind of Fedor or Brock in order to keep their badge, I think that's sad.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Quick question:

If the wife clearly told the emergency operator about what the cops should expect when they turn up, why was this information not passed onto the police, and if it was, why did the police ignore it?

Seems to me like the wife warned them what to expect and they paid no heed to it, instead going straight for their tasers. The police and/or the emergency operator are at fault here - either a lack of communication or willful ignorance of the mans condition caused that man's death.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 04:29 AM
link   
i think its kinda funny that demoncreep's defense of the offices is followed by the signature,

"Deny Ignorance" ..absolutely
But above that, avoid Panic!

reminds me of the south park episode when the kids are taken hunting:

"its coming right for us"

used as an excuse to shoot whatever "animal" they see, in this case tazer.

seems that with sooo many misuses of these tazers, it should be outlawed that law men use them on civilians, when it comes to up holding the law.

Im not a big fan of LEOs, because they too are human, and they too make mistakes, mistakes like this one, where human life was taken. That man had the right to life liberty and the pursuit of happiness. regardless of his mental condition. and they took it from him, because he was having an "episode". also, judge dred comes to mind, judge jury and executioner.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

There may have been a better tactic for solving the naked guy dilemma, and he might still be alive. Negligence on the part of the officers? No way. Negligence on the part of department? No. Negligence on the part of the taser manufacturer? Maybe.

[edit on 9-12-2009 by 2compelled]

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by spec_ops_wannabe

Multiple trained police officers should be able to handle a 156 man who's very clearly unarmed. The tazer was unnecessary and there is no justification. You should not become a cop.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by 2compelled
reply to post by Kryties

There may have been a better tactic for solving the naked guy dilemma, and he might still be alive. Negligence on the part of the officers? No way. Negligence on the part of department? No. Negligence on the part of the taser manufacturer? Maybe.

How can you admit that their may have been a better tactic and then go on to say that neither the police nor the department were responsible, when the man's wife clearly told the emergency operator about her husbands condition?

Either the emergency operator did not pass on the information to the police and therefore she should be liable, or she did and the police chose to ignore it.

Also, if the information WAS passed on then surely the police would have had training in how to deal with somebody who is having a medical episode or a seizure? Surely they had this training and if not, why not?

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by 2compelled
Please remember that the cops have families to go home to just like you. Why would you risk getting stabbed or whatever taking someone down hand to hand when you can tase them?

BECAUSE IT IS THE JOB YOU DECIDED TO DO.

Firefighters must not have families and that is why it is ok for them to run into burning buildings?

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Link is to the FACTS about tasers, dont be mislead before you take your side.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by ThePeoplesSoldier

So how many people in the last 5 years have...

died from sliding across a carpet in socks?

and

died from a tazer?

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Lillydale

I think the real question is how many people have been saved because a police officer had a taser to use instead of a gun. I know somone is going to say "what about hand to hand combat". What if that person is on meth? Have you ever had to fight somone on meth? They DONT FEEL PAIN! Pepper spray dosnt work, police battons dont work. Tasers do because people dont collapse from pain, they collapse because the .0021 miliamps stops your muscles from working for 7 - 30 sec at a time. Just enough to get somone in hand coughs.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join