It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The second line

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Heya,

I keep seeing people posting a shot answer and then adding "second line" - is this an inside joke on ATS I missed on? Is it actually something people have to do? (adding a second line stating it is a second line) Is it just silly?

Often I have produced one line only answers for example when a member asks for a link I have often just posted said link in one line. Should I add "... and this is a second line" to these posts?

I apologise if it is a dumb question but it confuses me a bit.

Cheers.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by InTrueFiction
Heya,

I keep seeing people posting a shot answer and then adding "second line" - is this an inside joke on ATS I missed on? Is it actually something people have to do? (adding a second line stating it is a second line) Is it just silly?

Often I have produced one line only answers for example when a member asks for a link I have often just posted said link in one line. Should I add "... and this is a second line" to these posts?

I apologise if it is a dumb question but it confuses me a bit.

Cheers.

Hi InTrueFiction,

Yes we have all seen this phenomena, the ubiquitous 'One Line Post', and the 'Second Line' addition after it.
It isn't some weird ritual or quirk, it comes from the fact that the MODS of this site flag 'One Line Posts' for review. Which may lead to deletion of the post.
So by adding 'This is the Second Line' they allow the post to get through the wringer. I guess it clutters up the site if people are only making one-line posts. Sometimes a short answer is the best and it only fits on one line. I have had to take lessons on verbosity on this site.
Hope this helps.
"This is the twelfth line"

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I think it is too. Silly, that is.

/second line.

Apparently it's more a matter of members misunderstanding the so-called "one line" rule.

A one line post that actually contributes to and/or furthers a discussion IS perfectly fine. The"rule", if you will, is in place more as a means of minimizing the number of "Me too." "Same here." "I agree." -type posts which really serve no purpose, nor do they Contribute anything to a given discussion.

Actually, by adding "/second line" to a post demonstrates one of two things.

a) a misunderstanding with regards the intent or purpose of the "one line rule", in that there's a sensed need to add one to avoid being actioned.

b) an obvious admission to having posted a "one liner" in the first place, and thinking that adding a "/second line" will prevent the post from being actioned. *it won't*

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

Thanks 12m8keall2c, for clearing that up.
I have had an epiphany. I agree with your view.
Know i know what the 'One Line Rule' really is for.
Thankyou.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by starwarp2000

Me too

/Second Line

[It does seem rather pointless though, the MODS do read the boards and the one line posts stick out like a sore thumb, if you feel you need to stick it on the end you know it's not worth posting.]

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Sometimes I think that people add a second line because the forum software will actually refuse many one-line posts. I think this may only happen if you use the thread-reply button instead of a post-reply button, but I know that I've had it happen to me. There's an auto-response thingy that tells you your post is too short and ATS encourages its members to make substantive contributions to the thread.

If for some reason I really only want to post one line (for example I have a link that I think is of value, but nothing else to add) then I'll add a smiley on a second line just to get the post through.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

There's no reason (that I can think of) to worry about adding nothing when one could add SOMETHING.

Something could be (as in your example of nothing but a germane link, which, by the way, is perfectly fine) "here's a link that answers every question you just brought up."

OR...

"I find that the admin/site owner named "Springer" is a completely wonderful person, full of wisdom and the epitome pulchritude" will always be acceptable here.

Seriously though, if your "one line" response is germane to the topic, adds to the discussion at hand, and is more than "me too" or "Heck yeah!" it's FINE.

Springer...

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
"I find that the admin/site owner named "Springer" is a completely wonderful person, full of wisdom and the epitome pulchritude" will always be acceptable here.

Pulchritude? Interesting choice of words.

pulchritude
physical beauty, especially that of women. — pulchritudinous, adj.
See also: Beauty

topic....I always try my best to add a concise but appropriate 2nd line. It's the attempt that counts, and always try and remember to use the spell check.

[edit on 4-12-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
reply to post by americandingbat

Springer...

lol

second line: ...and people thought that you had no sense of humor.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 05:20 AM
link   
First line.

Thanks for the info.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 06:36 AM
link   
the "2nd line" is a ploy to distract from the inadequacy of the first line [one line]

[edit on 6-12-2009 by ignorant_ape]

new topics

top topics

join