It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hemp, I wanna hear all about it!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dramey
do you buy the hemp already in the proper form to work with or do you "prepare" the hemp for lack of a better word in order to use it in such manners?

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
I buy it, because as stated in other places, I don't support growing marijuana because I don't enjoy or support t's other uses for people who don't need it for medical reasons.

Uhh... what?

People don't use hemp for anything but industry/food. You're not making 'marijuana' jewelry, you're making hemp jewelry.

Do the people you buy your materials from create their hemp from thin air?

[edit on 9-12-2009 by alaskan]

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
nicely said

its too bad this thread has been clogged with focus of small details rather then on beneficial information

it would be interesting to discuss the ways that hemp is prepared in order to do some of the above mentioned things, or how to prepare hemp to do any of the other number of things it is useful for

sure its nice to hear bamboo and other materials can do similar tasks

it would also be nice to see it discussed as to how to use the bamboo to make such things

it would be much more beneficial and time efficient to discuss the above rather then the bickering of the age old medical marijuana and hemp debate

the best situation i see is agree to disagree

many believe medical marijuana and hemp have great uses

some believe otherwise, lets agree to disagree and start sharing useful information rather then focusing on the differences which is causing this forum to go nowhere

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Now I see why the Mods felt like putting this thread in the bin.

I had no idea this would turn out to be so messy n'all...

I guess there is no knowledge in hemp paper manufacturing at ATS?

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Two seconds to google 'making hemp paper' got me this...
There are tons of other recipes/methods that can be more or less simple...

Step 1 Purchase hemp from a reputable buyer (see Resources below). Hemp is illegal to grow in the United States because it is from the same family as marijuana. However, it is not illegal to own hemp or hemp products.

Step 2 Soak the hemp for 12 to 24 hours in water.

Step 3 Put the hemp on low heat and add some soda ash. Cook the hemp for about 8 hours. The hemp should still feel tough.

Step 4 Put the hemp into a blender for about 2 minutes until it turns fluffy or soft. For a different texture of paper, try adding shredded newspaper or similar soft paper to the mixture. You can also increase or decrease the amount of time you use to blend the materials. You can also choose to add dyes to the mixture.

Step 5 Pour the hemp substance (known as slurry) into a shallow pan.

Step 6 Scoop your deckle into the bottom of the pan and lift straight up very slowly. Once the deckle is free from the mixture, allow any excess water to drip off before moving to Step 7.

Step 7 Flip the deckle paper side down onto a clean towel or newspaper. The paper should come off onto the towel.

Step 8 Place another towel on top of the paper. Roll over the towels and paper with a rolling pin to squeeze out any excess moisture.

Step 9 When paper is almost dry, iron it using the hottest setting on your iron. This will help finish the drying process and flatten it at the same time.

Step 10 If you have excess slurry, you can put it in a plastic bag and freeze it.

And for extra info about the paper from the book I quoted earlier...

Fiber & Pulp Paper

Until 1883, from 75-90% of all paper in the world was made with cannabis hemp fiber including that for books, Bibles, maps, paper money, stocks and bonds, newspapers, etc. The Gutenberg Bible (in the 15th century); Pantagruel and the Herb pantagruelion, Rabelais (16th century); King James Bible (17th century); Thomas Paine’s pamphlets, The Rights of Man, Common Sense, The Age of Reason (18th century); the works of Fitz Hugh Ludlow, Mark Twain, Victor Hugo, Alexander Dumas; Lewis Carroll’s Alice in Wonderland (19th century); and just about everything else was printed on hemp paper.

The first draft of the Declaration of Independence (June 28, 1776) was written on Dutch (hemp) paper, as was the second draft completed on July 2, 1776. This was the document actually agreed to on that day and announced and released on July 4, 1776. On July 19, 1776, Congress ordered the Declaration be copied and engrossed on parchment (a prepared animal skin) and this was the document actually signed by the delegates on August 2, 1776.

Hemp paper lasted 50 to 100 times longer than most preparations of papyrus, and was a hundred times easier and cheaper to make.

What we (the colonial Americans) and the rest of the world used to make all our paper from was the discarded sails and ropes sold by ship owners as scrap for recycling into paper.

The rest of our paper came from our worn-out clothes, sheets, diapers, curtains and rags*, made primarily from hemp and sometimes flax, then sold to scrap dealers.

*Hence the term “rag paper.”

Our ancestors were too thrifty to just throw anything away, so, until the 1880s, any remaining scraps and clothes were mixed together and recycled into paper.

Rag paper, containing hemp fiber, is the highest quality and longest lasting paper ever made. It can be torn when wet, but returns to its full strength when dry. Barring extreme conditions, rag paper remains stable for centuries. It will almost never wear out. Many U.S. government papers were written, by law, on hempen “rag paper” until the 1920s.5

It is generally believed by scholars that the early Chinese knowledge, or art, of hemp paper making (1st century A.D., 800 years before Islam discovered how, and 1,200 to 1,400 years before Europe) was one of the two chief reasons that Oriental knowledge and science were vastly superior to that of the West for 1,400 years. Thus, the art of long-lasting hemp papermaking allowed the Orientals’ accumulated knowledge to be passed on, built upon, investigated, refined, challenged and changed, for generation after generation (in other words, cumulative and comprehensive scholarship).

The other reason that Oriental knowledge and science sustained superiority to that of the West for 1,400 years was that the Roman Catholic Church forbade reading and writing for 95% of Europe’s people; in addition, they burned, hunted down, or prohibited all foreign or domestic books, including their own Bible!, for over 1,200 years under the penalty and often-used punishment of death. Hence, many historians term this period “The Dark Ages” (476 A.D.–1000 A.D., or even until the Renaissance). (See Chapter 10 on Sociology.)

www.jackherer.com...

[edit on 9-12-2009 by alaskan]

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by alaskan

id just like to say thanks to alaskan for being one of the few keeping this board alive and on track

one of the few members who have actually added beneficial information into this forum without clogging it up with nonsense

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by alaskan

Way to go dude, way to go!

I know it would take me just a few seconds to google up this info myself, but I was hoping to hear from someone who did this already, you know; hints and tips.
But as I now read that all hemp is forbidden to grow in USA, I dobut there could be any more to be found out, on ATS at least...

Long live hemp!

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raud
I just became aware that this thread is now on the "ASC" board.
It was originally on the Survival board because I wanted this to be about being self sufficient on paper and textiles and such.

Please note that I am only talking about hemp as in the "non smokeable" kind of hemp and not about "weed".

I hope I don't have to repeat myself on that.

The problem is that most people (ATS Mods included) are ignorant that hemp does not equal marijuana.

It's pretty sad that we can't talk about hemp without it being thrown into the drugs forum.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Mask
THAT MEANS...he is asking how to grow Cannabis sativa.

Cannabis sativa is marijuana.

Cannabis Ruderalis is hemp.

One is grown for its THC production, the other is feral and contains little to no THC.

It's like saying a weener dog and a coyote are the same since they are both canines.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by zaiger
3) as far as survival goes there is not much good hemp will do for ya.

What kind of BS are you trying to swindle here? There are a multitude of properties for food derived from hemp. Who can eat bamboo?

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Nutter

Great to see some genuine interest around here

I thought this thread was dead and buried a long time ago.

But on the matter of the bamboo: one can do like the Panda bear; eat bamboo shoots. Fresh and juicy. I have them in my cooking as often as I can
Real cheap too!
But besides the fibres, they contain mostly of water. I think that hemp could produce more nutritious food stuffs.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
police officers masquerade in online forums trying to talk to growers of cannabis so to get their IP address and put em in prison, can u convince us are not one of them, no you cant.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Nutter

Yes can can make food with hemp but not really of hemp. I know you can eat the seeds but that is a little much, in that case you would be better off growing a vegtable.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
if we advised you how you have asked for advice we would be guilty of aiding and abetting

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Hemp is the most super-useful thing on Earth, almost like a wonderful nature-gift from God. Thank you for giving us Hemp, God!

I wanted to give you oodles of stars but alas I could only give you one. I totally and completly agree that hemp could very well change the world. I am angry that we have been duped for so long about this wonderous miracle plant. Here is an oldie but goodie video I recomend it to EVERYONE!!!!

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join