It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will the Afghanistan war destroy the Democrats in the coming elections?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I've been thinking of what the ramifications could be with Obama's POOR decision on Afghanistan. I listened to a liberal talk show this morning...and people were ANGRY...saying he was a fraud and just like Bush. This was the first time i've seen liberals so angry with something Obama has done.

The Democrat party seems to be split on this....and even some Republicans (HURRAY) are against it. The people of this country want the war to end. Obama is just sinking us deeper into something we will not win. He won't commit the amount of troops needed to quickly get it done...nor will he do an immediate pullout. Instead it's the same BS that went on in Iraq for 8 years.

McCain and Newt Gingrich are supporting the President on this decision..but are criticizing him giving a timeline for troop pullout.

They are supporting him sending fewer troops then what was asked...then getting angry that we are setting a date to leave. They know we will never leave...that is why a timeline cannot be given. It has nothing to do the enemy hiding till we leave.

I watched Olberman and he's asking someone on his show if it's possible to support the President but not his war policy. I'm just curious what lengths people are willing to go to before they give up support for this travesty of a President.

He's a one term President.

[edit on 4-12-2009 by David9176]

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Also....do you think voting in Republicans is the answer?

They'll keep the war going, will cut taxes, yet not cut any spending.

WHERE ARE OUR CHOICES?

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Dems will lose in coming election because economy sucks. The war is just a reminder that the economy sucks because so much money is being spent on the war.

No, Republicans aren't the answer as far as turning things around. But I do think they are the answer to breaking up a monopoly in Congress.

I am not comfortable with Obama and the Dems pushing any agenda they want just because they have the numbers.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

What is going to happen to the Dems is what happened to the Republicans. Some Democrats are not doing what the people voted them in for...and they will pay for it as the Republicans did.

Republicans...as they stand right now...are not the answer. And for the love of pete people...Sarah Palin is NOT the answer!!!

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Republicans aren't the answer and the Democrats are going to get slaughtered in the coming midterm and possibly the presidential election. What is Obama going to say when it gets close to the end of his 1st term. Is he going to say that he did everything he promised before being elected for president, no. Will Afghanistan be won, no. Afghanistan will turn out to be vietnam redux and if he had guts he should have DECLARED VICTORY AND PULL OUT. Because he risks destabilizing Pakistan which has al-queda and where they and the taliban recruit much of their zealots. And to add more trouble, we may be in another war with Iran before to long. What the Republicans and the Democrats don't want to say is that it was a mistake in strategy to go into said country and try to bend it to our will. Those guys and girls are dying because of a mistake. And the elephant in the room is the mistake and we should leave and leave now.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 04:39 AM
link   
A lot of Liberal sources or rather Obama supporters only heard what they wanted to when he was getting elected . Obama promised a wise course of action of drawing down US troops from Iraq so that resources could be boasted in Afghanistan . So no the war will not hurt the dems at the polls because it has bipartisan support and for better or worse an exit date as been set .

Cheers xpert11 .

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Yes, it will seriously damage the Democrats chances of winning the 2010 elections and likely weaken Obama's chances in 2012. Their support in the last two election cycles was largely based upon an anti-war youth vote and now, he has alienated that base of support. The Democratic base was already demoralized and this causes further erosion of enthusiasm going into the 2010 mid-terms and I think its very likely that a fair percentage of the rank-and-file Dems simply aren't going to vote. Compare that to the rising enthusiasm of GOP voters and the likely result is a major Republican victory next fall.

Obama? We'll just have to wait and see. Three years is a long time in politics (and so is 11 months) but with this Afghanistan surge, I think he may well have permanently damaged his ability to draw the youth vote in the overwhelming manner that he did in 2008. I think we'll probably see a more typical 10-15% youth advantage for Obama in 2012 instead of 30%, and I suspect he's going to under perform his 2008 results with every other age group by a handful of percentage points as well. The net result? He still has a chance, but right now, I think his road to victory will almost certainly be far more difficult than it was in 2008.

new topics

top topics

join