It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tips for keeping your Thread ALIVE

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Yes, this is true. I have some good threads with NO replies at all. Check my Profile. All we can do is try to maximize the results and keep our fingers crossed.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Goathief
So we can basically read this thread as a guide to trolling/flaming for stars and flags 4 newbs?

I guess this just demonstrates the downsides to the S&F system.

No. Not at all. I will explain my motivation for this thread.

The main thing is to share info, but to maximize how well that info gets shared. I could care less about the star an flag system.. the main thing is keeping your information in front of as many people as possible for the longest time.. to promote discussion of said information..

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
John Phoenix, I know what you mean. I just started a really cool thread that just about anyone can enjoy. the link is in my signature. I really want people to see the cool pictures inside the thread.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
1) You need a good thread title. Even a great thread will die a horrible death if the title doesn't grab folks. However, the title should be somewhat indicative of what the thread is about.

2) Reply to others who reply to your original post. Don't pose a question and then be absent for days on end... Don't overdo this though....

3) Present new information, or old information in a new way.

4) Back it up....
Have links, etc. backing up your claim...provide ways for others to see your research.

5) Be concise. This doesn't mean short, but don't tell something in a long-winded way.

6) Use paragraphs. Not using them is a quick ticket to the Graveyard of Old Threads.

7) Don't ever lose your temper, and engage those who disagree with you, with politeness and courtesy.

8) Do not state you are looking for stars, flags, applauses, etc. Do they really matter in the grand scheme of things? I know I'll remember a good post, not how many stars, etc. the poster got...

9) Come to an informed conclusion. If you leave the conclusion open-ended, there really is nothing to debate. You have to take a stand on the issue.

10) Attack a person's points, info, etc., NEVER the person.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
2) Reply to others who reply to your original post. Don't pose a question and then be absent for days on end... Don't overdo this though....

For this piece of advise, I which I could applaud you for that one.

That is a big pet peeve of mine. It really bothers me when I go to a thread and it interests me and the author of the thread is not involved in their own thread. I've posted on threads that are up to page 14 and the author of the thread has only posted 2-3 times. It always confuses me as to why they seem to not be interested in their own thread, and it makes me think that the subject is not important to them and they are just looking for stars, flags and points.

There are members that always take an active role in their threads and I always look for their threads because I know that they are truely interested in what they post. And there are those that star your post just to let you know that they have read them, which is nice because sometimes no reply is needed for your post, but they are still aknowledging your contribution.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by karl 12

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
It would be nice to figure out a sure fire formula that is proven to work every time.

Just keep posting in it until someone replies.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I bet you wore out your left mouse button from hitting post reply

[edit on 18-12-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 02:07 AM
link   

The trick is to keep your post in the New Threads section during the busiest times of the forum so you get the most hits and hopefully, your thread will get bumped up to the Active New Threads area where it will stay longer.

John dear, whatever for? Does one get paid for the number of stars or flags or views? No! But I recommend a dollar for a star, five for each flag and ten cents for each view! Otherwise it's not worth going through all this. If your thread is good it would get the necessary recognition anyway! So why bother to keep bumping your threads?

Lastly, always remind people in your original post to Star and Flag if they enjoyed your post.

That they'd do anyway if they like it. People aren't so dumb that you have to beg them to star and flag your threads!!

If you liked this post Please Star and Flag!

Pardon, but your slip is showing! After giving us a lesson on 'how to', you've displayed ignorance yourself! Are you not aware that there are NO stars authorized in this BB & Q forum?

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by OrionHunterX

Er.. well what do ya know. Your right.. Nope.. no stars. I didn't notice that.

Thank You Gazrok for the tips you provided!

[edit on 18-12-2009 by JohnPhoenix]

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 05:58 AM
link   

... the main thing is keeping your information in front of as many people as possible for the longest time.. to promote discussion of said information..

Denied.

I'm not sure if your pipes need cleaned from your ISP but this is the interwebz and information is free (for now at least).

I've got at least 2 threads that are gonna be slow burners and regularly check the Battle of LA thread which has been going on for a long time now. Pertinent information needn't be rushed or rehashed for the purpose of keeping it in the minds of as many people as possible.

Perhaps you are confusing advertising, propaganda and controlling the masses with denying ignorance.

I can guarantee that nothing that shines gets anywhere near my head for long. I'll blackball it when given the chance too.

Who says what you have to say is any more awesome of worthy than that of anyone else?

Perhaps if you get a rush from this type of thing you should try Blackhat SEO stuff. Highly unethical but right up that street where snakeoil sellers peddle their wares.

-m0r

top topics

<< 1   >>

join