It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. will be out of Afghanistan by 2017: White House

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Beefcake

I will wager all the money i have that we will never ever leave Afghanistan

You must not have much. It is a bet you will lose. We don't want to stay in Afghanistan. We just need a government that is pro-US.

and to even think we will is kinda sad because it means you just don't understand why we are really there

alright, whatever you say.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Yeah right. And then in 8 years they'll just stay there saying they need our help... and we can't leave them there like this...

Or they'll pull out some troops but put military contractors instead... like they did in Iraq.

This is a big joke. Me thinks even if the US goes bankrupt, there will still be troops in Afghanistan... too much money to be made there...

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Hmm, when I read this all i can think of is, ' so where will america be at war in 2017?'
Lets face it, the american economy runs on war and will crumble without it. When is the last time america didn't have troops in combat anyone?

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
My son told me the news on the radio this morning. Apparently the President has committed to more troops being sent over.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I think its true what they say is that we should never judge these people on what they do by our standards. These people have a totally different view of teh world than most of us. i.e like how most people would ask why are americans are so violent? You might not know, but this pleases alot in america that you are that way.

So do not try to judge them on what you would do, as these people have a different vision of the world.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Whoa, slow down people. You are taking it out of context!

This is a case of a sensational headline knee jerk "out of context" reactions. The meaning of the statement is alluded to further down the article.

It appears highly unlikely Obama will offer a specific troop withdrawal timetable, but White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said the president would stress that the U.S. involvement in Afghanistan was not open-ended.

"We are in year nine of our efforts in Afghanistan. We are not going to be there another eight or nine years," Gibbs told reporters. "Our time there will be limited and that is important for people to understand,"
he said.
Reuters

What they are really trying to emphasize with that poorly worded statement is that there IS a timetable and that we WILL NOT be mired there forever.

They are NOT saying that we will be there for eight more years. It is an expression. "We've been there for 8 years and we won't be there for 8 more." Surely no one expects them to publicly announce an exit date at this time, but I would bet you that they have a rough target.

I for one very much support a troop surge for several reasons.

1 - Recently the Taliban have re-taken large areas and grow increasingly bold as they prove to themselves time and time again that American troops are not at sufficient levels to repel them.

2 - The troop surge in Iraq was hugely successful and paid for itself several times over in the rapidly diminishing violence, and just as rapidly increasing stability there. In fact it can easily be debated that the surge in Iraq had a direct and significant impact in our now being able to "see the end" there.

3 - If we were to pull out, or "surrender" in Afghanistan, the entire region, including Pakistans nukes will become so destabilized that the potential threat to U.S. interests will be at unacceptably high levels.

4- In the article it states that the troop surge will primarily be used to regain control and support an increased pace to get the Aghan army trained up to sufficient numbers to maintain order on their own.

Whether or not you agree with the U.S. being in Afghanistan is not really the issue. We are there, and to leave the country in the state they are currently in would be disastrous. Based on the success in Iraq, a troop surge can logically be considered the fastest way to stabilize Afghanistan so that we CAN leave them in relative stability.

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   
And the hidden message: I'll make sure troops are still leveling Afghanistan even after I'm gone

Whatta leader.. Can u imagine them poppy fields and Mujahedeen warlords?!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join